Leading Off (12/11/08)

1. DISD trustee Ron Price called a news conference yesterday to say he has “no confidence” in the district’s current administration. Also yesterday: Price withdrew his request for the school board to hold a vote of confidence in Superintendent Mike Hinojosa. All of which sets the stage for Hinojosa’s annual evaluation today. “It will not be a kind evaluation,” Price says. Trying to beat him out for understatement of the day, trustee Jerome Garza added, “Given the financial situation in the district, there’s going to be a lot to discuss.” Oh, you think so, doctor?

2. Though it was overshadowed by a thing or two, yesterday the city council voted in favor of changing the name of Yale Boulevard to SMU Boulevard. I hope you’ll join me in saying: how dare they. Now I’m going to totally confuse people when I give them directions to Barley House or — hmm, I guess that’s it. As you were.

3. A North Carolina Internet concern bought the domain name GeorgeWBushLibrary.com for $10 — then sold it back to the library’s web team for $35,000. The name of the company that pulled off that gambit? Illuminati Karate, which I’m sure is currently making Eric Celeste’s potential band/fantasy football team name pants go crazy. When I attempted to reach the IK gang for comment, they sent me this link to a Slam piece about ex-Maverick Sam Cassell. Not sure why.

Comments

32 responses to “Leading Off (12/11/08)”

1. Peterk says:

with the regards to the Bush Library piece that sounds like cybersquatting to me

“http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/Term/AA9AABDE-3C77-4868-B9D329BC68205E50/alpha/C/”

2. JS says:

SMU: The Yale of Texas

3. Don in Austin says:

UT: The ale of Texas.

4. Yeah, right says:

So Price had confidence in Hinojosa on Monday?

It is kind of like Yale, without the exacting standards, worldwide reputation, intellectual authority, abiding prestige or august campus. Other than that: identical.

6. S.E. says:

@Peterk – That was definitely cybersquatting. We had to sic our lawyers on a squatter in the UK, and WIPO awarded the domain back to us due to trademark concerns. Maybe Shrub’s web team needs someone who knows a little more about this kind of thing – y’all just give me a call.

After looking at the Illuminati Karate site, I’m guessing they’re not much of a firm, and that $35k ransom will probably be their biggest and last fee.

7. Josh Pearson says:

My favorite line from their site:

“Whether your purpose is to bring the news, the noise, or the revolution, we deliver a custom hybrid of powerful backend software to do the dirty work and slick design to make it look seamless.”

Is Frontburner’s purpose to bring the news, the noise or the revolution?

9. Frontburner says:

@ Bethany: Yes. Yes it is.

10. DKC says:

If Ron Price would tone down his dressing habits he may be taken a bit more seriously I would think

11. WillDallas says:

@Daniel
    I’m havign trouble with all this SMU hate. Facei t people, it is the premier university in this city and as a graduate, I’m proud of my degree and my university. I like manyo ther students worked full time and got through school on student loans. SMU is a good school and the stereotypes aren’t ALWAYS true. SMU consistently ranks well in college rankings and provides a good education, I graduated from SMU a year ago and make $50k a year. Seems to have paid off.

12. amanda says:

B, you gonna touch that, or you want me to do it?

@WillDallas
    Here, darling. My U of Ark education will help you just this once, bless your pea-pickin’ heart.

@Daniel
    I’m having trouble with all this SMU hate. Face it people, it is the premier university in this city and, as a graduate, I’m proud of my degree (not in English) and my university. I – like many of its students – worked full time and got through school on student loans. SMU is a good school and the stereotypes aren’t ALWAYS true. SMU consistently ranks well in college rankings and provides a good education. I graduated from SMU (not with an English degree) and make $50,000 a year. It seems to have paid off.

14. WillDallas says:

Apologize for the typos…

Actually Bethany, my degree was in journalism… about as useless as an English degree.

As was mine, young Will. And it’s a little more useful than you’d think.

16. amanda says:

I thought we didn’t allow blogging from SMU grads under 100K.

17. WillDallas says:

nice, amanda.

Bethany, just checked out your blog message to aspiring journalists. Very good, I enjoyed reading it. You’re right… time to think small. I just lost my opassion.

18. Tom says:

Did an opossum take your opassion?

Thanks, Will. It’s easy to look at the current climate and think there’s nothing there for you – but like I said, I think the world will always need its storytellers, and newsgatherers.

20. WillDallas says:

Cheers Bethany! I don’t know what I would do without my storytellers.

Thanks Tom… actually he did!

21. JS says:

Will, you should find that opossum before animal control gets it. Rumor has it that you can’t get any pets back without taking a baseball bat to the facility.

22. CBS says:

@WillDallas: I am not certain about your opassion, but you definitely lost your spellcheck (and yes, it is a very petty thing).

23. brett says:

@ Bethany:

Frontburner’s purpose is to bring the funk. lots and lots of funk.

opassion: A love of Obama that is so intense, it makes you cry.

Jesse Jackson became so overwhelmed with opassion on election night that he cried on TV – like a woman.

I smell that, brett.

26. LakeWWWooder says:

Try being a graduate of a DISD high school and SMU. Retorts are now my specialty.

27. For the record... says:

Good on ya this morning, Bethany, you must have had an extra cuppa.

28. El Rey says:

@ WillDallas:
    I graduated from UT Arlington without student loans and make more than $50k. I think you bought some quality ‘edumacashun’ at the ‘Yale on the Trinity’.

29. Jules says:

$50,000 is entry level salary for a good secretary.

30. MIssing Dots says:

@ Jules:
    Is that for full service? Tip included?

31. WillDallas says:

If that’s true then why are students with liberal arts degrees finding it so hard to get employment at all? It’s not the salary folks, it’s the plain security of having a job at all post-college.

I think that’s plain old Econ 101. Fewer jobs means that you have to stand out that much more. Just a degree is no longer a guarantee of immediate entry into the career field of your choosing.