In honor of our breakfast issue, a handful of D Magazine staff members tasted day-old, refrigerated delivery cheese pizza. You know, because sometimes there’s nothing better than cold pizza in the morning.
Here’s what they had to say.
A. Stonedeck Pizza Pub
C. i Fratelli
D. Greenville Avenue Pizza Company
E. Rocco’s Uptown Pizza & Pasta
- So soft. It almost dissolves. Can see this being magnificent during an early morning hangover.
- Yum! The cold sauce is still tasty. I would definitely eat a slice or two before work.
- Just enough sauce to add a tartness to the cold cheese. Would eat for breakfast.
- OK. Seems to have lost some flavor. Crust is hard. Eh.
- Like the flavor on this one. It’s good cold!
- Crust stayed surprisingly crispy, considering. Helps that it was a little on the burnt side, which I like.
- Tastes like those Lunchable pizzas added with a weird marinara aftertaste. The crust is super soft, too.
- You can really taste the blending of cheeses. Not enough sauce for my liking, which makes it kind of dry.
- Lots of sauce, which makes this one colder than the others.
- The taste did not endure the refrigeration well.
- Meh, cheese bread.
- This tastes like nothing.
- Love the cheese flavor, and the pizza is still somewhat soft. Yummy goodness.
- Dough doesn’t hold up. It’s gotten pretty soggy.
- Not enough sauce and the crust is really soggy. Bet this wasn’t even that good hot.
- Can’t taste the sauce at all. I feel like I’m eating a block of cheese on a stale cracker.
- I like the crust’s soft texture. Not gonna lie: I could see myself having a folded slice in one hand and my coffee in the other, all while rushing out the door.
- This one is really dense. Not enough sauce.
- Still has some potency. A survivor pizza. Delicious.
- I feel like the dough got floury or something.
- I like the way the crust solidified, and the heavy oregano helps provide the flavor that the fridge took away.
- Still has good flavor. Too dry, though.
- Still pretty crispy! Would eat this anytime, anywhere.
- Holds up well cold because of the abundant spices used.
- The color and look kind of threw me off. I think it’s because of the herbs, but it gives the pizza this greenish aura. Taste-wise, this is probably my favorite. Herby and flavorful. I can definitely taste the sauce in this.
- This is the best, hands down. The seasoning is still strong a day later. Perhaps, it’s even better. The sauce has settled perfectly into the thin, expertly crafted crust.
- This one is harder and chewier. Would hurt my jaw if I ate a lot of it.
Greenville Avenue Pizza Company
- I think I know this pizza, and it is good pizza. It is not good cold pizza.
- The crust on this is a little burnt, which I normally like, but it’s all I can taste since the pizza is cold.
- This is nice and tomatoey. The crust is meh, but the flavor is there.
- Sort of bland. Cheese kind of rubbery. Bad consistency.
- Holds up well for a round pizza. I think because it’s thin crust.
- This one has a nice flavor even though the crust is mostly soggy.
- Has a slight chili oil-like taste to it. I like that crust on this the best, it’s almost like pita bread. But besides that, it just tastes like plain cheese. Where’s the sauce?
- This is kind of gross. It’s too – dare I say? – cheesy. But not in a good way. I mean, yeah. I ate it. But only the most extreme case of a hangover would make me reach for this the next day. And that’s because my mobility would be limited.
- Good cheese and flavor.
- Temperature cannot hold this down. I would eat this on ice.
- I feel like I’m eating cold spaghetti. There’s so much sauce but I’m into it. The crust is still good, too.
- Cold cheesy bread. It’s terrific.
- Very good. Lots of sauce. A bit too much sauce, actually.
- Too doughy.
- I think the slightly thicker layers of cheese and sauce used on this one gives it an advantage served cold, even though I doubt this would be my favorite hot.
- The sauce is kind of sweet and tangy, it makes me think of ketchup. Super cheesy.
- This one is good. There were no features that stuck out to me, but it would do the job.
- Plain. Not good. Not bad.
Greenville Avenue Pizza Company: 1
Rocco’s Uptown Pizza & Pasta: 3
The winner is:
i Fratelli wins yet again for their flavorful, thin crust cheese pizza. So, do you agree with the outcome? How do you feel about cold pizza? Let’s talk about it.
Get the FrontRow Newsletter
Get a front row seat to the best shows, arts, and things to do across North Texas. Never miss a beat.