In honor of our breakfast issue, a handful of D Magazine staff members tasted day-old, refrigerated delivery cheese pizza. You know, because sometimes there’s nothing better than cold pizza in the morning.
Here’s what they had to say.
- So soft. It almost dissolves. Can see this being magnificent during an early morning hangover.
- Yum! The cold sauce is still tasty. I would definitely eat a slice or two before work.
- Just enough sauce to add a tartness to the cold cheese. Would eat for breakfast.
- OK. Seems to have lost some flavor. Crust is hard. Eh.
- Like the flavor on this one. It’s good cold!
- Crust stayed surprisingly crispy, considering. Helps that it was a little on the burnt side, which I like.
- Tastes like those Lunchable pizzas added with a weird marinara aftertaste. The crust is super soft, too.
- You can really taste the blending of cheeses. Not enough sauce for my liking, which makes it kind of dry.
- Lots of sauce, which makes this one colder than the others.
- The taste did not endure the refrigeration well.
- Meh, cheese bread.
- This tastes like nothing.
- Love the cheese flavor, and the pizza is still somewhat soft. Yummy goodness.
- Dough doesn’t hold up. It’s gotten pretty soggy.
- Not enough sauce and the crust is really soggy. Bet this wasn’t even that good hot.
- Can’t taste the sauce at all. I feel like I’m eating a block of cheese on a stale cracker.
- I like the crust’s soft texture. Not gonna lie: I could see myself having a folded slice in one hand and my coffee in the other, all while rushing out the door.
- This one is really dense. Not enough sauce.
- Still has some potency. A survivor pizza. Delicious.
- I feel like the dough got floury or something.
- I like the way the crust solidified, and the heavy oregano helps provide the flavor that the fridge took away.
- Still has good flavor. Too dry, though.
- Still pretty crispy! Would eat this anytime, anywhere.
- Holds up well cold because of the abundant spices used.
- The color and look kind of threw me off. I think it’s because of the herbs, but it gives the pizza this greenish aura. Taste-wise, this is probably my favorite. Herby and flavorful. I can definitely taste the sauce in this.
- This is the best, hands down. The seasoning is still strong a day later. Perhaps, it’s even better. The sauce has settled perfectly into the thin, expertly crafted crust.
- This one is harder and chewier. Would hurt my jaw if I ate a lot of it.
- I think I know this pizza, and it is good pizza. It is not good cold pizza.
- The crust on this is a little burnt, which I normally like, but it’s all I can taste since the pizza is cold.
- This is nice and tomatoey. The crust is meh, but the flavor is there.
- Sort of bland. Cheese kind of rubbery. Bad consistency.
- Holds up well for a round pizza. I think because it’s thin crust.
- This one has a nice flavor even though the crust is mostly soggy.
- Has a slight chili oil-like taste to it. I like that crust on this the best, it’s almost like pita bread. But besides that, it just tastes like plain cheese. Where’s the sauce?
- This is kind of gross. It’s too – dare I say? – cheesy. But not in a good way. I mean, yeah. I ate it. But only the most extreme case of a hangover would make me reach for this the next day. And that’s because my mobility would be limited.
- Good cheese and flavor.
- Temperature cannot hold this down. I would eat this on ice.
- I feel like I’m eating cold spaghetti. There’s so much sauce but I’m into it. The crust is still good, too.
- Cold cheesy bread. It’s terrific.
- Very good. Lots of sauce. A bit too much sauce, actually.
- Too doughy.
- I think the slightly thicker layers of cheese and sauce used on this one gives it an advantage served cold, even though I doubt this would be my favorite hot.
- The sauce is kind of sweet and tangy, it makes me think of ketchup. Super cheesy.
- This one is good. There were no features that stuck out to me, but it would do the job.
- Plain. Not good. Not bad.
The winner is:
i Fratelli wins yet again for their flavorful, thin crust cheese pizza. So, do you agree with the outcome? How do you feel about cold pizza? Let’s talk about it.