Sunday, March 3, 2024 Mar 3, 2024
64° F Dallas, TX
Advertisement
Publications

How Dallas Caught Cedars Fever

The neighborhood south of downtown is having its moment.
By |
View Gallery
Image
Courtesy of Vendor
Advertisement

How Dallas Caught Cedars Fever

{{ oneIndex }} / {{ images.length }}

Advertisement

How We Got Here 


The revitalization of South Lamar Street began in 1997 when developer Jack Matthews bought 17 acres and four crumbling buildings that once belonged to Sears. Matthews kept buying property on Lamar—on both sides of the street, all the way north to I-30—and slowly but steadily populating it. His South Side on Lamar loft complex came first and was eventually joined by a hotel (NYLO), concert venues (Gilley’s Dallas, Poor David’s Pub), more residences (Buzz Lofts, built by tech entrepreneur Zad Roumaya), and even the Dallas Police Department headquarters, which was constructed on land Matthews donated to the city.


When Alamo Drafthouse opened on Lamar in February, it was, in many ways, the culmination of Matthews’ efforts. The street is mostly built out now, and with the cult-favorite seven-screen theater and its rooftop restaurant (The Vetted Well) in place, Lamar finally has a destination for daytime foot traffic.  


But The Cedars is more than just South Lamar Street.


What Happens Next? 


Now that Matthews and company have established a beachhead in the Lamar area, the action is moving east to Ervay Street, where a number of projects should arrive later this year or sometime in 2017. They include:



  • The migration of The MAC from the nonprofit arts center’s longtime Uptown home to a complex of buildings (1601 S. Ervay) that will contain galleries, performance spaces, and room for other arts organizations

  • The renovation of the historic six-story Ambassador Hotel (1312 S. Ervay) that will transform the 111-year-old building into micro-lofts (about 500 square feet each)

  • The relocation of the popular Four Corners Brewery to a spot (1311 S. Ervay) across from the Ambassador, formerly owned by Matthews

  • The Cedars Union, a nonprofit arts incubator headed by Terrell Falk, former COO of the Perot Museum. It will eventually open in the old Boedeker Ice Cream Factory (1201 S. Ervay) and will have 40,000 square feet on three floors that will offer studio space for 80 artists. 




Related Articles

Image
Restaurant Reviews

The Best Steakhouses in Dallas

The leader remains the same, but a few upstarts have rocked the rankings in a steak scene that has changed dramatically over the last several years.
By Eve Hill-Agnus and Brian Reinhart
Image
Dallas History

D Magazine’s 50 Greatest Stories: Heartbroken at the Stoneleigh

"Heartbreak Hotel" captures a very different bar at the Stoneleigh Hotel and a very different Dallas in 1977.
Image
Restaurants & Bars

Find Your Next Favorite Bottle at Ampelos Wines in Bishop Arts

And don’t sleep on the “Wine-Dow,” a patio window through which you can order a glass to sip on al fresco.
Advertisement