Leading Off (3/30/09)

1. If you catch this before heading into work, Ryan Moats and his wife will be on Good Morning America today, talking to Robin Roberts. Updating the story: former Cowboy Zach Thomas says Officer Robert Powell mistreated his wife, too. (I’ll say the timing seems questionable, but that’s as far onto Powell’s side as I’ll go.) And Angela Hunt has called for his dismissal.

2. Prepare for a feisty Wednesday, when the per-pack tax on cigarettes goes from 39 cents to $1.01. Between that and the smoking ban taking effect on April 10, not to mention my wife’s unquenchable blood lust, there is little to no chance I’ll be smoking in a month. Thanks for kicking me in the jeans again, America.

3. The Mavs made a concerted, team-wide effort to murder me dead yesterday afternoon, allowing the Cleveland Cavaliers to outscore them…let’s see…carry the two…huh, that’s doesn’t look right…82-44 in the last three quarters of the game. In other Mavs news, Mark Cuban was fined 25 grand by the league for comments he made about refs via Twitter. He responded with a joke about someone figuring out how to make money off Twitter and several other similar japes that I would publish in their entirety, but he’s sounding litigous. (He’s @mcuban, by the way.)

Comments

17 responses to “Leading Off (3/30/09)”

2) Dammit, this hits me like a sucker punch what shatters a yokel’s jaw, leaving him to yammer in a manner oft mistaken for idiocy (and the more he sounds like an idiot, the more he yammers to dispel the impression; and the more he yammers, the more like an idiot he looks and feels, until finally he chokes on his own impotent rage. The End.).

I’ll quit if you quit, Zac. In my experience, having a quitting buddy works — not so much for the moral support (if I wanted that, I’d fetch a priest or join the Oprah book club) as the element of bitter competition and intractable pride.

Of course, we don’t know each other and I could completely lie, berating and humiliating you for on lousy slip-up — a few extra foot-pounds of energy per second, per second! — even as I chain-light an American Spirit Yellow. So.

P.S. Whence the God damned “sin tax” and why have people taken this sitting down?!! (Stands up momentarily to demonstrate sitting down’s opposite)

3. J$ says:

1. Not surprised by DPD messing up…again
    2. Not looking forward to quitting smoking
    3. Thanks for the twitter hookup. @captainlimos is now following @mcuban!

4. Zac Crain says:

@Daniel: You’re on. I’ll need it.

Are you quitting Wednesday? Short notice. But what other kind of “notice” is there, when you’re crossing the threshold to Hell.

I don’t get irritable, but I get bizarre energy-management issues — sudden rushes of nervous energy followed by near torpor. And I tend to drink too much, partially to help me sleep, but also because a beer makes you want a cigarette and if you can’t have one, you can at least take comfort in knowing you have access to some foreign substance to set cruising through your bloodstream — hence, another beer. As you might imagine, this is a vicious cycle and occasionally, there will be blood. (My own only.)

I quit “successfully” — a year and a half — when I was 21 or 22 by smoking copious quantities of bud all day. Well, more copious quantities. That really helped, because it was, you know, smoke. Alas, that’s not part of my lifestyle these days (I indulge only very rarely).

Oh Christ, this is going to be excruciating. But deal me in.

6. John M says:

Whatever happened to the official Frontburner last day of smoking in bars smoking extravaganza?

7. Zac Crain says:

@John M: We’re still planning on doing that, so I think, Daniel, I’ll be postponing until next week, and just biting the bullet on the tax.

A sound plan.

9. John M says:

Have I oversold it with extravaganza? I’m hoping for a extravaganza.

10. Local Advertiser says:

If anyone wants to put up Zac for the month of april, I’ll pay $100 towards his soda consumption, rice and cheese. I’ll also guarantee he’ll do a minimum of 10 hours of yard work and minor handiwork per week while in your care.

Better he is in someone else’s house while quitting the tobacco.

11. Zac Crain says:

I don’t know why my wife is posting under an assumed name, but so be it. And I doubt she’s joking.

12. Sway says:

I wised up on my last trip to Mexico and found the joys of buying my cigarettes online for 1/2 the price of American Fire Safe cigarettes. I pay $20 a carton and they taste better and they don’t go out on me in the middle of smoking.

13. Wes Mantooth says:

Thank heavens for the rise of the Nanny State. Who needs adults making decisions for themselves. Clearly it makes more sense for our betters — a/k/a elected officials — to make personal decisions on our behalf. They’re smarter than the rest of us, just ask them.

14. whiskey says:

this country is crashing all around us and their biggest concern is my smoking in public. smoking a legal product, at that..

15. JB says:

Great. Now everyone will quit smoking and there will be no more tax revenue for education. Does anyone think of the CHILDREN anymore!?!?!

Accepting an apology released by a lawyer. Ryan Moats = Pure Class. Seriously.

16. Cynthia says:

@Sway – where do you buy them online?

17. Dane says:

It’s OK to quit, Zac. “D” isn’t Mad Men circa 1960 anymore.