Leading Off (9/18/08)

1. Scraps of Reunion Arena, including seats, are now for sale via Lone Star Auctioneers. Stories about going to Reunion Arena will be available for free here, I’d imagine.

2. The silver lining of the whole Josh Howard/national anthem brouhaha is that it has Steve Blow and James Ragland doing their Talking Race bit again. This one is actually not too bad, since it involves an actual topic and not Blow just ticking down a list of stereotypes. That said, I would enjoy the series much, much more if it were retitled “I Have a Black Friend.”

3. Ignore the giant flames you see in Frisco this morning. Just a little gas line repair. Nothing to see here. Except giant flames. Actually, if you need me, I’ll be up in Frisco, using the fire as a backdrop for my one-man YouTube version of Die Hard.

Comments

10 responses to “Leading Off (9/18/08)”

1. The Ghost of Loren Meyer says:

Will they be auctioning off Roy Tarpley’s career?

Or maybe all those fantastic first-round draft picks that they must’ve hid in the basement somewhere? (See, ex., Jim Farmer, Randy White, Phil Henderson, Doug Smith, Cherokee Parks, Samaki Walker, Kelvin Cato, Leon Smith, Etan Thomas…)

God we were awful.

2. brett says:

yippie ki-yay zac…yippie ki-yay.

3. Eric Celeste says:

This was a much better effort from Blow and Ragland. (Although I cringe at what I believe is Blow’s quite unsophisticated views of what “black” culture is versus “maintstream” culture. But, whatever, he speaks for a large segment of readers, I’m sure.) I just don’t want folks to forget what is, to me, the main point of the Josh Howard video: he was trying to make a joke. It came off poorly, and he’s dumb for saying anything to a camera for the next, oh, five years or so. If you want to start a discussion on the patriotism of black people because of that video, fine. (I’ve got some hot sports opinions on the matter I’m sure Mr. Blow wouldn’t like.) But, again, Howard was trying to be funny. He failed. It’s what happens to Tim in every edit meeting.

4. Cory says:

It’s okay to be name calling on Josh Howard. That’s what black folk are here for.

5. drew says:

The “I Have a Black Friend” suggestion is especially funny if anyone remembers the picture that used to accompany that column, with Blow & Ragland back-to-back like a Corey Haim/Corey Feldman movie poster.

6. wes mantooth says:

I was discussing the fate of the DMN with my next door neighbor, who remains employed by said newspaper. We agreed that nobody opens the paper dying to read the opinions of the local columnists. This series changes nothing about that. We get opinion that is better formed and more well-reasoned on a dozen FrontBurner comments sections in a month than the DMN gets from its entire columnist staff in a year. IJS. Time for the DMN columnists to Ranch Up!

Wes, my friends and I have this game: “Name Five People You’d Like to See as a DMN Columnist.”

The current slate is never mentioned. Not even one of them.

8. amandacobra says:

Bethany, to answer your question:

1. Josh Howard
    2. Josh Howard
    3. Josh Howard

etc.

I would like to see Tim O’Hare and Domingo Garcia Talkin’ Race.

Actually, make that Elba Garcia. She’s pretty good-looking!

10. SB says: