Leading Off (12/08/08)

1. Steelers 20, Cowboys 13. Thanks to a kid’s birthday party — featuring James Wand’s Secret Agent Magic Show — I only saw the relevant part of the action. So feel free to blame that 17-0 fourth quarter on me, as I am a noted sports jinx.

2. While we’re here: Jerry Jones somehow didn’t know Marion Barber wouldn’t be playing until, well, way too late. So he has only himself to blame if he looks like this.

3. Mayor Leppert is joining with other mayors in an effort to divert funds from a bailout-to-be-named-later directly to cities. When asked what he planned to do with the money, Leppert said he had his eye on some land he wanted to overpay for, but beyond that, couldn’t really decide what to blow it on. “The key is, it has to be expensive, unpopular, and borderline unnecessary. Convention center hotels don’t come along every day.”

Comments

21 responses to “Leading Off (12/08/08)”

1. JS says:

As a Steelers fan, all I can say is that it is nice to have a QB who will make some plays in big games instead of a quarterback that routinely comes up with a big bag of nothing when it counts.

2. Puddin'Tane says:

Word: interception.

#2 – Maybe he should sign up for the mobile updates from the DMN. I knew by Saturday.

Or, if he doesn’t want all those updates, he can e-mail me his phone number, and I’ll forward the pertinent ones to him.

5. JB says:

Gawd, I thought it was me. I turned it off at half time to do some Christmas shopping only to turn it on at the 4th quarter. It seemed every time I listened or watched, some horrible turnover would occur. There must be a syndrome for this or something cause its been this way all my life. I am a jinx. On the the other hand, I went to the Cowboys Packers game this year which got me thinking that every game I have gone to, the Cowboys have won. I think Jerry should GIVE me some season tickets to ensure the home wins at least.

6. Billy Ray Rocket says:

Oh, and we found out that Preston Holler had a “whites only” covenant up until the year 2001. Blacks were only allowed in as slaves.
    Reported on every news blog around the world.
    D Nile/D head in D sand/D istration/

People outsite D bubble to talk and have a D ifferent viewpoint. I am sure you will all find this D lirious. Take your head out of D sand long enough to D brief and breathe.

Dear Billy Ray:
    I don’t live in Preston Hollow, but it doesn’t surprise me that an old covenant would still be on the books.

There are lots of old laws still on the books in various municipalities, ranging from the heinous to the hilarious.

For instance, in Texas:
    It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.

It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.

Homosexual behavior is a misdemeanor offense.

And the story you linked to didn’t say slaves. It said servants. As in, paid help.

Not that the covenant was good, don’t get me wrong. But let’s chill with the “rich people are evil” stuff. Not all rich people are inherently evil, and not all poor people are downtrodden and angelic.

Any Real-Estate Person will tell you that such anachronistic covenants are in fact common — not only in Texas and the South, but in the North and Northeast, as well. They are, of course, illegal.

And by my math, the covenant in question
    expired on January 1, 1986, not 2001 as Billy’s Favorite Blogger reported. That’s certainly appalling enough, to be sure.

I’m not shore how they do it round yore parts, Billy, but round here Real Men cite primary sources. Amateur bloggers are credible only to vegetarians and sissies who don’t wear boots!

9. amanda says:

Candy already hit this on dallasdirt. Check it out, she has some good little tidbits on the historical covenant in this area.

My area had a requirement for all homes to have gas lights (which no one does anymore)…because there were no street lights prior to 1965 on these streets.

Non-issue.

Bullet trains would be a better public-works project than roads as Obama proposes — we already have enough roads and paradoxically will never have enough roads.

Bullet trains, people. You may say I’m a dreamer. Am I the only one?

11. Zac Crain says:

@Daniel: In — 100 percent in.

12. amanda says:

Daniel, is your bullet train anything like the monorail?

Bullet trains = sexy

14. amanda says:

Bethany, are you saying a bullet brain is a sign of virility and potency?

15. amanda says:

Brain, did I type brain? I meant train. Darn fingers…

Amanda, I’m thinking of the TGV in France or the super-duper trains in Japan. They go, like, 186 mph. Perfect for trips of about 800 miles or less. Unquestionably more convenient than planes (owing to airport hassles, etc.) for trips of, say, 500 miles or less.

Down side: the French connection would provide limitless fodder for Limbaugh and crew.

bullet + brain = not sexy

18. Billy Ray Rocket says:

Move right along folks, nothing to see here.
    Nothing at all. Shh. No one will notice!

19. Billy Ray Rocket says:

Oh no, I fear another Bethany James Brady joke coming on. It is that chipmunk humor that is fine on this blog as long as it is trashing a democrat.

BRR – seriously. Research. Do some. Report back.

In intelligible English, preferably. Also, you’ve yet to regale us with tales of your charitable endeavors on the other thread. We’re waiting ever so patiently.

So that’s a “I have none?”