Comments

24 responses to “HP’s Priddy Fountain Suffers Savage Soap Attack”

1. Joe says:

I don’t know much about landscaping, but is the soap overload going to damage the surrounding vegetation?

2. henry says:

ha-ha

3. Puddin'Tane says:

Ah, those carefree halcyon days of Mr. Bubble!

The memories come flooding back…

4. DM says:

I once violated that very fountain. But now, it’s even bigger and more enticing!

5. Davie Dave says:

Not that I would ever condone such a thing, but nicely done Mr or Miss Miscreant of the night.

6. Drew says:

Did this many a time in college to a fountain/waterfall outside our student union. The soap is pretty harmless to the plants but the anger comes from foaming up all the water. It wreaks havoc on the pump it seems.

Still, it’s a hilarious prank every time!

7. PR says:

Did the same thing to the large fountain at the Mesquite ISD stadium in 1983 just prior to the North Mesquite – Mesquite High football game. Then I rolled up the sleeves of my Members Only jacket, jumped into my 1976 Ford Torino and sped away.

Just my suburban, anglo way of sticking it to the man.

8. Troll Doll says:

You’d think they could get more inventive. Maybe some food coloring or something?

9. Josh Hixson says:

I don’t know about this incident, but it cost University Park about $1,000 to clean up their soap-filled fountain.

10. Tim Rogers says:

If the soap damages the pump, isn’t there a way to install a pH meter in the system that would shut down the pump the second soap was detected? Did I just come up with my million-dollar idea?

11. Dubious Brother says:

Why are the bubbles always white?

12. Don in Austin says:

How would soapsuds damage a submersible pump? I guess they have to pay the clean up guy $200 an hour. Must be one of those high falootin HP maintenance men. Some basic irrigation will wash the soap from the plants…not that they don’t tolerate alkalinity in Dallas soil anyway, but phosphate salts could accumulate with repetition. Somebody tell those kids to use phosphate free soap. And put some purple (or other) food coloring in it would ya.

13. Little O says:

@Dubious Brother_

Because it’s Highland Park silly.

14. Brent D. says:

Tim, pH measures the concentration of +H ions, not soap.

15. Brian Barnaud says:

hey, there are folks who can turn the Chicago River Green on St Pats day. (uhh, what color is it normally?) so white bubbles, babys do that!

16. Wylie H. says:

@Dubious Brother: You better not share that observation with John Wiley Price!

17. Matt R says:

While in middle school and high school, I would attend summer programs at SMU for 3 to 5 week stretches. I always made a point of collecting leftover laundry detergent from my fellow students and we would then make a point of soaping the main quad and Meadows School fountains. It is very entertaining to see large masses of suds blowing across the quad. The school had installed surveillance cameras by the time I was an undergrad student, so I never got a chance to recreate the experience.

It’s really called “The Priddy Fountain”? I mean, it is, I guess, relatively speaking. Priddy, that is. A little on the pompous side, to my taste, but tastefully proportioned.

19. Tim Rogers says:

@ Brent D.: I know that pH doesn’t measure soap. But soap does change the concentration of hydrogen ions. Pure water has a pH of 7. Soapy water might have a pH up near 10. So there.

20. Christopher says:

10,000% lame

21. John says:

@ Tim: Do you still call the library to look this stuff up or do you use the internet now?

22. Tim Rogers says:

@ John: I can CALL the library? You know how much time you just saved me?

23. Fi says: