New Sitcom To Be Set in Dallas

An alert FBvian points us to news that CBS might roll with a sitcom called Big D, about a New York couple that moves back to the man’s hometown. It’s still in the pilot stage, so let’s all pray that it gets the green light. Because I miss Green Acres.

Comments

20 responses to “New Sitcom To Be Set in Dallas”

1. Obama's Seat says:

Odd timing.

2. DM says:

This will not end well.

3. Kevin says:

Of course you’ll love Dallas, honey! The same stores that are closing in New York are closing there, too! We can move to Plano, the lost borough.

4. J.B. says:

I fear this will further the sterotypes of Texas without really delving into the stereotypes of Dallas. Sigh.

5. John M says:

@J.B.

You said the words I was looking for. If they stuck the couple in a highrise in Uptown or a McMansion in Plano there would be plenty of material for the lampooning of Dallas culture but if this is just a stereotypical southern Texas comedy that is just set in Dallas because everyone has heard of it, no thank you.

I do think there is plenty of material with a “southern belle” mother and a NY couple both being transplanted into a new city with roots in both cultures (i.e. Dallas) and some interesting conflict (e.g. a Texas black tie gala)

6. If Ted McGinley’s in it, let’s call it a date.

7. Ed Cognoski says:

Wasn’t Green Acres set in Hooterville? (fill in your own joke here)

8. Freckles says:

Yeah…Macy’s announces thousands of lay-offs yet I just quoted a job for a new Macy’s in Fairview…come on down, JR! And bring your map because where the heck is Fairview??? Oh yeah…it’s right there at the intersection of the Macy’s at Willow Bend and the Macy’s at Stonebriar!

9. Jim says:

I have an idea: How about a Dallas couple who moves back to New York because it is his hometown and then it lampoons that city?

10. Obama's Seat says:

Bet the husband’s name is “George”

11. Curtis Remington says:

This is bound to be a horrible program, but I’m sure this will get on the air for purely political reasons. I’m sure the liberals in Hollywood and New York are thinking this is a golden opportunity to trash anything and everything about Texas because Bush is now out of the White House. It’s the “in” thing to do.

Let’s face it, there’s plenty about Dallas to lampoon. For instance, the fact that most grown men walk around in cowboy hats and bolo ties. Talk about ridiculouis!

13. Dane says:

So what will Bruton Terrace look like on a Hollywood soundset? Ooops, guess it’s not what they’re aiming for.

14. Don in Austin says:

@Daniel.
    We are talking Dallas, right? I’ve seen few bolo ties and boots in Dallas. Ridiculous is a neck tie of any fashion, IMO.

Dallas is about the least Texas of any of the major cities in the state, from my experience.

15. thedallasdiva says:

@Don – you’re right. If someone from here made a sitcom, it would be so easy to make funny about Dallas. And I LOVE Dallas. Funnier still – Fort Worth.

16. LakeWWWooder says:

Twelve miles of bad road up Preston.

Don,

I thought people in Austin were uber-ironic? They were when I lived there, back in the day. We were mighty proud of our big ole sense of metaflippancy, podner.

18. Gig says:

Fairview is the next town above Allen East of 75 for those of you who get nosebleeds when you pass 635….

19. Robert says:

On behalf of my mom’s family in the Deep South: Texas ain’t southern. Never has been, never will be (East Texas is close, but it’s still not Georgia or Alabama or Mississippi – and I for one am very thankful for that).

Just cause it fought on the losing side of the Civil War doesn’t make Texas southern. Texas is Texas. It’s like a whole ‘nother country. Or something like that.