Comments

15 responses to “Why I Don’t Go To Christmas Parties”

1. The Other Marty Cortland says:

Glad to see that I am not alone these days in prominently outing myself on such issues. Cheers!

2. Eric Celeste says:

“The best I can say from personal experience is that we all tend to be afflicted by a low-grade dysphoria, a sort of constant melancholy that causes feelings of unease, isolation and dissatisfaction with life – an ‘inexplicable ache,’ I once heard it called.”

This is so much cheaper than counseling.

3. Renee says:

Wick, I didn’t realize you had stopped drinking. Good for you! And thanks for the Atkinson link — it’s great reading.

4. To The Other Marty Cortland:

Your name carries an element of “truth in advertising,” as your comment makes abundantly clear.

Best,
    MC

5. Dear Eric:

Al’s at 5?

Inexplicably achy,
    MC

6. Paul says:

Interesting read. Just as with FB, there are always great comments following the column. My favorite:

“Heaven’s sake. Either drink, or don’t drink; but by all means stop rambling on about it. Who cares? Personally, I’m getting tore up from the floor up this season.”

I’m inexplicably achy today, too.

8. Puddin'Tane says:

So an invitation to a party would be turned down because alcohol might be served?

It’s called Dr.Pepper.

My attitude has always been to conquer and own my fear and participate anyway- because my need to do a thing for its ultimate outcome was more important.

In this case, the point would be to spend time with my friends and possibly meet new people in a festive atmosphere.

9. BMS says:

@Puddin’Tane: I agree. It’s the excuse I use when attending orgies.

10. Eric:

Correction: Monk

11. Eric Celeste says:

Marty:

Do they serve Dr Pepper?

12. Puddin'Tane says:

BMS: precisely.

Eric: you could “add” anything to DP and no one will ever know…until you start acting like you did in those election night photos.

13. Rawlins Gilliland says:

I bore easily so over-drinking with over-drinkers is out. But I love a free anything that’s served over rocks or sparkles with bubbles. Unless they’re married to someone else.

“There’s something in the alone-in-the-crowdness of the holiday party circuit, the forced pleasantries and laughter, the charge to be friendly and engaging – but only in a trivial and superficial way – that is very much like the existential condition of the alcoholic psyche.”

Beautifully stated. Then again, as William Powell said, “Let’s go to dinner already, I’m thirsty.”

15. Nancy Nichols says:

You are all wicked people. I’m telling Santa. Jim, you’re a peach!