Leading Off (9/5/08)

1. DFW Airport will spend $5 million to upgrade its video surveillance system, which will then allow it to purchase (at a greater cost) nearly 2000 more cameras to track passengers in the airport. Somewhere, Trey Garrison’s Republi-tarian head just popped off his shoulders.

2. If a little furry creature is gnawing at your ankles as you mow your lawn in Plano, it might not be Trey Garrison: it could be a bat.

3. Finally, in a story about a lack of available statistics: nobody knows how many Texas cheerleaders are being injured doing their routines. Who is volunteering to track these incidents in a well-worn composition notebook? Trey Garrison.

Comments

7 responses to “Leading Off (9/5/08)”

1. Trey Garrison says:

I’m going back to bed.

2. AnonyMouse says:

In that case, *I’ll* volunteer!

3. David Goodspeed says:

I think it is about time for No. 3.
    The dumbest thing I see as a newspaper photographer during my time at a high school basketball game on the hardwood is cheerleaders throwing each other into the air. DUMB! Schools are begging for lawsuits.

4. Puddin'Tane says:

One of my daughters was a competative cheerleader and “flyer.” She could do all the college level “illegal” stunts that were forbidden at HS level competition.

One of the things she could do was a Triple Down, which involves being thrown into the air and spinning three times before being caught….right before hitting the floor!

I rarely attend her practices because I couldn’t stand to watch her fall. I just told her coach where to reach me in case they had to go to the ER.

My daughter knew the risks, hit the ground hard quite a few times, but still wanted to do it.

Sometimes you just have to let go and let your kids do their thing.

5. NotTim says:

Wow, Triple Down – I bet she was quite popular at the frat parties.

6. Jay says:

NotTim = NotFunny

7. A.B. says:

There was a bat in my husband’s office in Plano yesterday. It was very much like The Office.