Gulf Coast Families Enjoy Dallas “Hurrication”

I didn’t invent the term. A PR-practicing FBvian did. He sent a long a note saying he’d just returned from checking out the Museum of Nature & Science’s new exhibit, “Your Incredible Body.” He guessed that about half the families there were folks who’d sought refuge from Ike and needed something to do while they wait out the storm. Then he used the word “hurrication.” I endorse it.

Comments

18 responses to “Gulf Coast Families Enjoy Dallas “Hurrication””

1. amandacobra says:

Ok, as I watch this KHOU footage and they are talking about how there are already 150 people on their roofs calling to be rescued I just can’t help but wonder how anyone living on a barrier island with a bad hurricane history and 4 days notice that this thing was coming would not evacuate? I just cannot wrap my head around it.

Because Hanna “wasn’t that bad,” I’m guessing.

3. My friend Terry Abbott, formerly of HISD said he and wife Molly, who are staying “hunkered down” played a drinking game last night. Every time a TV WXR person or anchor said to “Hunker Down” or “Monster Storm,” etc they took a drink. Maybe we should play the Dallas version tonight. On facebook @Bethany said Jane McGarry convinced her that “Ike will be the death of all of us.” So, how about it all?

Can’t wait to hear, “well, Steve, it’s not raining over here yet, but how about there, Brad?” “Well, if you haven’t hunkered down yet from this monster storm over Dallas…don’t drive unless you have to.” And so it will go.

Cheers, all.

4. Tom says:

It’s hard to admit, but at some point, you have to say to yourself, “Self, they had every opportunity to leave, were warned multiple times about the storm and were told those who stayed behind would not be rescued.”
    I’m angered by the media’s lack of post-Gustav coverage, in light of the fact that thousands in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas still do not have power. Just because the storm spared New Orleans does not mean it didn’t leave destruction and devastation in its wake.
    But I digres. Kudos to both Ray Nagin and Bobby Jindal for offering New Orleans residents many options for evacuation, then standing behind the promise that you don’t have to evacuate, but those who stay behind are on their own.

5. Tom says:

Sorry, Miss Grammar. Meant to say “digress.”

6. columbiasooner says:

My favorite quote I have seen so far…

A stubborn few decided to defy orders to leave. Emory Sallie, 44, of Galveston, said he had ridden storms out in the past and didn’t think Ike would be any different. He didn’t believe the dire warnings–he was more worried about the wind, not the flooding.

“If the island is going to disappear it has to be a tsunami,” he said, as he walked along the block where his home is located, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. “If it ain’t your time you ain’t going anywhere.”

link

7. amandacobra says:

An hour ago, they interviewed a woman who stayed on Galveston Island AND brought her small children down to stand on the seawall and take pictures as the waves disintegrated one of the piers. The interviewer incredously asked why she didn’t leave if she had kids and she said she didn’t want their house to get messed up. He pointed out her and her children being inside the house would not prevent the house from being destroyed in the storm. She said, “Well, yeah I guess that’s just us Galvestonians.”

By the way, my prediction for Ike v. Dallas: Little bit of gusty wind, tree branches in the street, some heavy rain, the intersection at Northwest Highway and Lawther completely under water and all local news media acting like it’s the End of Days.

Now I’m torn between DC’s hurricane drinking game, and the Brent Musberger drinking game we planned for Saturday.

Am I woman enough for both?

9. We played our own little drinking game last night every time the Weather Channel people threw out the catchphrase “certain death!” for the people staying behind.

By the way, Jim Cantore is THE hotness:

10. Kelly says:

To the lady in front of me at the crazy-packed Wal-Mart: I can find a better use for all those D batteries than the 10 (TEN) flashlights you were purchasing.
    The 48 bottles of water you can keep.

11. JB says:

I’d like to stay in the hurricanes wake because I’m a “Hurri-I-can.”

12. amandacobra says:

Here in Victory Park, I am starting to see clouds. I think it’s time to start in on the liquor.

13. Miss Grammer says:

@Bethany: Sweetie, it’s Brent Musburger (with a ‘u’). I know you probably, um, meant to do that.

14. Miss Grammar says:

Ooops. Spelled my own name wrong. Grammar, silly, not Grammer. But, um, I meant to do that.

15. Tom says:

I think Miss Grammar has already started in on the liquor. She’s off her game today.

16. Miss Grammar says:

Tom: Don’t you go Jayhawking me, young man.

17. Words I Hate says:

Just when I thought there wasn’t anything worse than “staycation”….

18. Hurley says:

D Batteries? Is that some new addition to the D empire?
    Also, it’s Hurley-cane 🙂