Martha Stewart Steals Genius Idea From Us

Okay, that’s not true. But it’s cool to look at these side by side. This weekend, our creative director, Todd Johnson, was talking to the Internet about food. He came across the July issue of Martha Stewart Living, which had an article about four can’t-miss burger recipes. Online, he noticed that the comments were oohing and ahhing over the photography that accompanied the article, about how cool and innovative it was. Cool, yes. Very nice work by James Wojcik, a well-known photographer. But it’s not a new idea. In fact, we did it on our May ’06 cover.

Comments

19 responses to “Martha Stewart Steals Genius Idea From Us”

1. allison says:

But you still both got the order wrong.

2. Jay says:

Maxim, August 2008, p. 94

Although I think the buns are implants.

Actually, that’s the only burger I’ve ever seen with the order correct.

Lettuce first, because the bun won’t get soggy with the tomato next to it that way. Then tomato. Then cheese. Then meat. Then a thin coat of ketchup and mustard, and then pickle and onion.

It occurred to me on Sunday, as I dismantled and reassembled my Ball’s hamburger, that I overthink my burgers.

4. Tim W. says:

Sorry, Bethany, but the meat always goes directly on the bottom slice of bun. You want the meat flavor to hit your tongue first because burgers are about the meat first and foremost. Onion on top of meat (or cheese, if you do cheese, with onion on top of that), pickle on top of onion (juice will flow down to the meat, not get on the bun), lettuce, tomato – the last two should stay cool, and they can’t do that if they’re touching the meat.

It’s scientific, you can’t argue with it.

But Tim, then the meat juice sogs out the bun.

Remember that ill-advised but kinda awesome burger that McDonalds had once where the tomato and the lettuce was separate, so you could put it on at the last minute?

That would’ve been great if it wasn’t a McDonald’s burger.

6. Tim W. says:

That’s why you let the meat rest, so it retains its juice. Man, I love being a carnivore.

You know what’s good at McD’s? Their southern chicken sandwich – they out-chicked Chick-Fil-A!

A certain 9-year-old I know also gives mad-props to the BK cheesy tator tots. He says the cheese is INSIDE the tator tot.

That’s still not enough to get me to eat BK.

8. allison says:

I learned on some cooking show that mayo on the bottom prevents a soggy bun because oil & water don’t mix. But in my world mayo belongs on the top with the lettuce and tomato(es) so, like Tim W. says, it stays cool.

9. drew says:

And here I thought allison’s initial comment meant they both got the order wrong as in, “I asked them to hold the lettuce”

Lettuce? No thanks. A good burger has nothing but cheese on the pattie and mayo on the bun, plus grilled onions and (maybe) a pickle slice or two in between. Bacon optional. A tomato slice or two is nice when tomatoes are at their juiciest seasonal peak, but they can’t be trusted at a steakhouse or gastropub, let alone at Whataburger.

But lettuce. Now that’s effed-up.

11. m says:

thanks for the heads up wilonsky.

Daniel is a burger Philistine. I knew it! Mayo? No veggies?

13. diahh says:

The McDLT. I actually really liked that burger, it was better than anything else at McDonalds anyway.

Funny you should mention that, i was just at Whataburger yesterday and the tomatoes on my Whataburger w/cheese were dry and shriveled up.

14. Peterk says:

The correct construction order for a burger starting from the bottom

bun
    mustard
    meat
    cheese
    sliced raw onion (yellow, white or purple depending upon your preference, I prefer purple)
    pickle chips
    mustard (yes again)
    bun

that’s it no other veggies allowed

15. MushMouth says:

I thought that exchange at the beginning of the comments was going to develop into a steamy sex story

16. Spamboy says:

It’s a good thing.

Bethany, if by Philistine you mean “elegant purist,” then by all means, I’m a Philistine.

18. bill says:

mayo on a burger = beans in chili

those that partake deserve nothing more than a final choke on their first bite.

Oh come on, it’s not as bad as beans in chili. That’s a flat-out historical error, like a string section in a rock song. Like medieval accoutrements at a “Renaissance Fair.” Like Mohicans sleeping in teepees.

Mayo on a burger is more like chilled vodka with a twist of lemon instead of lime.