Incoming Feathered Missiles And A Big Word

cedw_s.jpgI was just walking my dog and encountered a huge flock of cedar waxwings in a tree. A marvelous site, these dapper frugivores. But if you see them in your yard, close your blinds and curtains–once full of fruit, they become intoxicated and will slam into your windows. It’s a funny, yet horrifying site. Like watching a drunken co-worker leave a party. Right, Timmy?

Comments

6 responses to “Incoming Feathered Missiles And A Big Word”

1. TK says:

I have been waiting all season for these incredible birds to arrive since first witnessing 2 years ago their ability to devour entire yaupon hollies of their berries in a matter of minutes.
    It is actually pretty cool to watch the frenzy even not being any kind of a bird fancier.
    I hope I am at home to watch if and when they come by and will try to get some video.

2. the amanda says:

I had two of these hit the glass on my back windows yesterday. One of them was out cold. My dogs love it when that happens. Are they eating berries from holly bushes? ’cause that’s all I got right now.

3. LM says:

I live a few miles to the north of Midway Hollow. What’s your strategy to get all these birds – what feed do you set out?

4. billh says:

Cool birds. I especially like to see the way they perch on the very tips of branches. They are distinctive that way. I’ve had them in the back yard, but never at a feeder, I last saw a huge flock near Lochwood Park, perched on the tips of a giant pecan. Very colorful birds.

BTW, Nancy, I love it when you post these bird stories. I loved all the shots from your feeders.

5. Don in Austin says:

LM: Native shrubs with berries. Yaupon Holly, Possumhaw, etc. Pyracantha might work but isn’t native…it will get them drunk though. Mockingbirds make for a funnier drunk bird, though, and don’t seem to dive bomb the windows.

6. Nancy Nichols says:

Don is right about the plants. CWWs don’t go to feeders, however I have a half an apple and an orange sitting on a pole in the backyard. The only way to attract them, especially when it is cold and dry is to add a drip system to your bird bath. You haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen a bunch of drunk birds all trying to bath at the same time. Get your cameras ready!!