Win a $15 iTunes Gift Certificate

I’ve spent the past 24 hours meandering around the newly unleashed Dallas version of Google Street View, which offers a street-level picture of everything in the entire city. Amazing. And amazingly addictive. Jump to learn how you can help us hunt for funny pics of your city — and win a prize!

Okay, in other cities where this launched earlier, there were a certain number of images that were deemed inappropriate. Like, one woman in San Francisco was caught bending over to pick something up, and you could see her thong. Not that I’m suggesting you spend the next eight hours trolling Google Street View, trying to find a picture of a woman in her thong. No, no, no, no. Please don’t do that — now!

With a little work, you can find out how to embed a street view in a post, or in a comment, as I’ve done below. Once you’ve found an image on Google, click the “link to the this page” button, and follow the directions. Your job is to find a funny and/or noteworthy Google pic of Dallas. Someone coming out of a topless joint. Someone standing on a street corner, picking his nose. Troy Aikman jogging with his shirt off. Whatever.

You’ve got till Monday. Post them in the comments section for this item. Best pic gets a $15 gift certificate to iTunes. Do it.

Dining

Dining

Comments

45 responses to “Win a $15 iTunes Gift Certificate”

1. Wylie H. says:

A busy day at Baby Doll’s:

2. Sam M. says:

I’m more amused by the banner across the street. Half-off, huh?

3. Sam M. says:

And while I’m at it… UPS driver chased by his own truck:

4. Gs1s says:

Whew! I usually park right there.

5. Gs1s says:

From the horrible paint job files…

6. CAntonson says:

So, I saw the Google “Minivan” with this crazy looking camera apparatus on top of it… Now I know what they were up to! Thanks!

7. Missy says:

That must have been one big bird:

8. Dirt Monkey says:

I can only assume this is DPD drag racing again. Too many Fast & Furious movies for Dallas’ finest.

9. Kelly says:

I am confused? Why is this so cool? It’s not real time…you can’t see if your X is at home or the new girlfriends, you can’t follow your boss’ car to the swingers club & get pictures…or if the car sitting out fron is the po po coming to get you nor can you see what the parking lot looks like at the Old Monk to see if you really want to get out to have that beer…

10. AC says:

Testifying in support of sagging pants?

11. mmoran says:

Wait…where is their camera?

Tourists…

12. Tim Rogers says:

Good work so far, people. Gwyon’s “short shorts” is, of course, horribly offensive, insofar as you can’t see anything close to a thong. And Missy’s “big bird” has me intrigued.

Still, I know there are better pics out there. Keep it up.

13. Rev. Hayter says:

Let’s try a Fort Worth co-ed…

14. Spamboy says:

Best Frontburner post ever.

15. Kevin says:

Not sure what he’s digging up or perhpas burying.

16. Kevin says:

Let’s try this again:

17. CDD says:

Officer, I was distracted by that car with a camera strapped to the top of it.

18. CDD says:

Who doesn’t rollerskate on construction sites? I know I do.

19. darley says:

I am Google Famous:
    View Larger Map

Quick smoke break while checking out the latest “Cheap Bastard” column in the Observer.

20. SMUGuy says:

I was looking for someone talking on their cell phone in an HP school zone when I came across this one. As I keep advancing down Lovers Lane in front of UP Elementary, trying to catch up with the car in front of me to see if he/she is on the phone, they keep moving forward, too. I presume this means the shot itself was recorded while driving through the school zone. I know cell phones are now a no-no in HP school zones, but what about operating a video camera?

21. j.d.w... says:

Camera shy, dissappearing woman:

22. timewaster says:

Maybe not the most exciting post, but it helps to determine the time of day that this was recorded….

Trying to think of other places to see the date…look like mostly in September based on Fair setup, and some other determinations about the progress on my own house. any other exact dates spotted out there?

23. Wylie H. says:

Ruh-roh, looks like Google Man made an unauthorized lunch time stop!

24. Wylie H. says:

Scratch the above… (user error).

Here is Google Man caught in the act.

25. Travis says:

it was definitely the end of august.

26. timewaster says:

Travis…nice sleuthing. I saw a Labor Day sign at the Idle Rich promoting the upcoming event so there is another clue, so, lets go with late august…that might help explain why the streets are so empty most of the time…it was probably 95+ degrees.

27. MB says:

Six Flags sign seems to show late August / Early Sept.

28. darley says:

My downtown shot reveals 2 things.

1) The movie poster on the right is from the movie Shoot ‘Em Up that was released on September 7th.

2) Moving 5 clicks to the NW on Harwood shows us the girl who hands out the Quick at my building. She leaves around 10-10:30am. So the picture was before then.

29. MB says:

Gary Cogill spotted!

30. Zack says:

Where’s Greggo?

31. BillyMac says:

Two comments on date and time.

First, the blue recycling cans in east Dallas tell us that the Googlevan drove through on a recycling pick-up day.

Second, the Lakewood theater marquee is pimpin’ a Mandy Moore (????) concert,

Lakewood theatre’s website sez her concert was on August 30, 2007,

which was also recycling pickup day in east Dallas.

Q.E.D.

32. Marcus says:

Robert’s find is allsome.

33. fruitdog says:

looks like Bigfoot got himself a shave and a nice pair of jorts

34. columbiasooner says:

I really wish I could take credit for this ..

I found it on this website though…http://www.streetviewfun.com/

35. columbiasooner says:

user error on last post..

36. timewaster says:

BillyMac, you should be a detective or something. But….

First, I think we can assume that the amazing google machine did not drive around the whole city of dallas in one day, so I like your hypothesis that it was on or around 8/31/07, however, just a few streets away from your Bryan street shot, I can see my house, and my neighbor who both religiously put out our blue cans on Thursdays. So at least our street was not shot on that day. (my neighbor also leaves her blue can out a couple of days afterward…so its not like the van made it down my street after we put them up because I am home on our street so it was after 5 that day)

So it would be very interesting to see the path of the google van. They may have been over on Bryan on 8/31 or even 2 weeks earlier, but perhaps it took them a few days to make it over a few more streets.

So, now that we have that settled, back to combing the streets of dallas for odd shots.

37. Brandon says:

Vicster: One more click south, you see them again.