More than 2.3 million people made their way to Fair Park to attend the State Fair of Texas this year, and photographer Jason Janik found a few of them with his camera lens. That’s a lot of people, but it was still a slight decrease from the record 2.5 million who attended in 2022.
A few fun facts:
- The day with the highest attendance was Oct. 7—the day of the Texas-OU game—with 208,731.
- Day one attendance was 78,742.
- Attendance on the final day was 118,256.
- Fletcher’s Corny Dogs celebrated its 81st year at the fair.
- Next year’s fair starts on September 27, 2024.
- The 75th Annual Big Tex Youth Livestock Auction raised at least $2.2 million.
But it wasn’t all just fun and games. For the sixth year, the Fair also honored recipients of the Juanita Craft Humanitarian Awards, along with the Friends of Juanita Craft Civil Rights House & Museum. Irma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership Academy senior Emmy Martinez won the Spark Award, Reuben Lael Griffin received the Catalyst Award, Lacy L. Durham picked up the Visionary Award, and the late George Keaton Jr. was posthumously honored with the Legacy Award.
Head to the gallery below to see what photographer Jason Janik saw.