How Come There Always Has To Be A ‘North Texas Connection?’

tobd69 posted that blog comment on an Associated Press story on the Dallas Morning News web site about the pilot of the crashed US Airways airliner having come from Denison. I think it’s a fair question. Seems no matter what the story, North Texas always seems to get its snout into it somehow. Is it because North Texans are so great … or is it that there are way too many reporters with way too much time on their hands? Or is it an incredible case of serendipity?

Comments

21 responses to “How Come There Always Has To Be A ‘North Texas Connection?’”

I’m going to venture it’s because we’re the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the U.S. That’s a lot of people, Jim!

2. matt says:

To the above point, it’s bc “Dallas” liberally extends its geography if they can incorporate “North Texas” into the national news…just as its residents like to use metropolitan area, instead of city (where Houston falls in the 4th spot).

3. brian says:

C’mon, “too many reporters with way too much time on their hands?”

They are a local paper, Dave. They look for the local angle.

The DMN flames and lectures about DMN have really been over-the-top lately. Stick to constructive criticism.

4. brian says:

Matt, what is wrong with that? And what does Houston have to do with this?

5. MIssing Dots says:

the plane was on its way to Charlotte. I used to live in Charlotte. That’s enough of a local connection for me.

6. amandacobra says:

I live in the North Texas area and have both flown on US Airways and visited New York City. I am available for interviews.

7. Joe says:

I found it interesting that the pilot got his license when he was 14, which means he got it in 1965 in North Texas, when there was no DFW Airport, no American Airlines headquarters, etc. Good for whoever helped him earn his license. There are 155 passengers who owe you a big old thank you.

8. Dooner says:

You might want to check out the story on KRLD’s website – http://www.krld.com/US-Airways-Pilot-Hero-is-Denison-High-School-Grad/3672548. He evidently was more than a passerby in the area.

9. Annie Nomonous says:

Dave – if there’s a local connection, reporters can make the story last for more news cycles!

10. JB says:

Well Craig Sevalle was broadcasting “Live from DFW Airport” last night about the crash, so….there must be a connection.

Man, Can you imagine what your clothes would smell like after being soaked in a cargo hold filled with Hudson River water for a day?

11. Puddin'Tane says:

@Joe: there were a lot of small county airports in Texas back in the day where many pilots learned to fly.

My Dad learned to fly when he was 18 in Liberty County. When my brothers were growing up they brought their friends to the airport to fly with our Dad.

Out of all the people my Dad gave initial flight lessons to, at least two of them became professional pilots: one flew private company aircraft and the other became a Capitan with American Airlines.

I will never forget the time that my family, Dad included, were flying back to Dallas on a flight from Hawaii when we found out that our Captain was the very same that my Dad taught all those years ago.

My brother went up to the cockpit (pre 9/11) to say hi to his high school friend and to let him know we were all aboard. When Capt. Mark Mac Nair found out my Dad was on board he came back in the cabin to visit and then proceeded to announce to all on the plane that his mentor was on board.

Very nice tribute.

12. Jim says:

Wish the headline read:
    “Days After New Yorker Ditches Texas, Texan Saves New Yorkers”

13. Katie says:

@ Jim: Touche!

14. Obama's Seat says:

@JB

The Hudson’s really quite clean these days, it doesn’t smell at all like the Trinity.

15. LakeWWWooder says:

Hey it’s no coincidence that Texans treasure and try to be heroes. You could go back to Audie Murphy for instance. Or even Wm Travis.

Another “North Texas” pilot, Al Haynes, saved 185 lives on United 232 a few years ago. The hydraulic lines were cut after an engine blew. He had no controls but the power levers for the two remaining engines.

Al grew up in Dallas and graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School.

16. Mr. Dobalina says:

Denison also gave us D. D. Eisenhower.

17. Cynthia says:

As a Denison native, I am thrilled to be known for something other than the birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower. Sting ’em Jackets!

18. Bill Marvel says:

I hate to have to explain Basic News Reporting 101 to folks who ought to know better, but it’s in the nature of local papers to look for a local angle. This is a very useful thing to do. More often than not, somebody will call in and say, “I knew him when…” and you get an even better story.
    When the 2004 tsunami hit Sri Lanka, DMN reporters did a little digging and discovered a community of folks here who were in touch with things back home — in some cases more in touch than the wire services.
    It’s called serving the community. One of the things local papers once did so very, very well.

19. Texas Flood says:

Vegas is getting in on the action.

20. chefferd says:

As Davey Crockett said” You may all go to hell and I shall go to Texas”

21. Flight says:

I wanted to comment and thank the author, good stuff