FB Field Trip: SMU vs. UTEP at Moody Coliseum

On Saturday night, my wife and I took our son to Moody Coliseum to see the SMU Mustangs face off against the UTEP Miners in a Conference USA clash. He was upset that the YMCA had decided to cancel his PK4/5 basketball team’s Friday evening practice as well as the Saturday morning game and team pictures. So he was excited for the chance to at least watch some basketball, but probably happier about the fact our family package included vouchers for free hot dogs and soda. The game was good, and much better at the end, but I was more interested in what was going on in the stands.

If I didn’t know better, I would have assumed it was a UTEP home game, as there were at least as many fans in orange and blue (some even wearing miners’ helmets — not a good look) as there were those sporting SMU colors. They were much louder, too, and organized; they led their own chants and one group unfurled a giant UTEP flag. So, a question, to anyone who might know: did the UTEP faithful travel all the way from El Paso, or is there a giant stronghold of UTEP alums in the North Texas area? And while we’re here: SMU fans, step up. (Not looking at you, small but vocal student section.)

Comments

14 responses to “FB Field Trip: SMU vs. UTEP at Moody Coliseum”

1. tajar says:

Been a hard year for us SMU men’s B-Ball and tough for us season ticket holders. The women’s team is who the fans are talking about. Will never be a packed house until consistent winner. As for attendance…School’s not in so fewer than usual students. That helps the SMU crowd. But UTEP always brings a crowd. At least we get to make some money off of them.

2. Zac Crain says:

Yes, as I noted to my wife, and should have pointed out above, school not being in session definitely evened things out. But I was still shocked at how well UTEP traveled. Did not see that coming.

3. amandacobra says:

Apparently the Barley House on Saturday night was UTEP home base. It was packed and everyone was wearing UTEP gear. Strange indeed.

4. tom says:

Wouldn’t you find any reason to leave El Paso for a weekend and come to Dallas???? They do travel well but they also had a large Dallas contingent……….Kudos to the SMU swim team for exercising their lungs in opposition to the UTEP chants….

5. Zac Crain says:

So that’s who those guys were. All I could tell is they were tall and not ashamed to be shirtless.

6. Young at Heart says:

We experienced the same thing at the UTEP-SMU game last year. They bring a crowd and they have a good time. We won last year, they won this year. God Bless ’em.

7. Don says:

IMO, Moody is a sweet place to watch hoops. Close quarters and old-school feel are two of the many reasons.

I watched SMU lose to a Bob Knight coached Texas Tech team on a cold November night a few years ago. The place was packed and it remains a highlight of my sports-watching life.

8. hoopsfan says:

UTEP does not travel well. Most of those people you saw in the stands are UTEP alum who now make their residence in Dallas. And even El Paso people in general who have moved from El Paso to Dallas to find greener pastures. Wouldn’t be suprised if the UTEP alumni base is close to the same numbers as the Tech alumni base here in the Dallas area.

9. publicnewssense says:

My fault on that SMU thing. I thought the game was in El Paso, so I organized a fleet of charter flights, aka The Flying Ponies, to El Paso. By the time we got out there and found that the gym was being used for one of those Three Kings celebrations, it was too late to fly back to Dallas. So, we all just flew on to Santa Fe and stayed in the SMU wing of the LaFonda. Fortunately, there were no medical conventions in the hotel, so we pretty much enjoyed ourselves and our lawyer is taking care of the bill. Sorry we missed the game. We’ll make up for it by going to a track meet in the spring.

10. Zac Crain says:

@publicnewssense: Well done.

11. neckberg says:

I went to UTEP and am originally from El Paso. While I live here in Dallas, I can say that a large number of fans do travel extensively to support the team. My husband and our family travel all over to see our Miners. But, you’re right — there are quite a few alumns in the area. Tom, I take a bit of offense at your comment. I’m proud to be from El Paso and take every opportunity to GO there, no leave there. 😉 My husband’s employment brought us to North Texas. That’s not to say we’re not happy here.

Also, just wanted to say that I think the SMU crowd was pretty classy and treated us well. Sometimes people get rowdy, but that’s to be expected.

12. Minermojo says:

Apparently one of your posters hasn’t been to a UTEP-Smu football game as there are thousands of Miners fans that come in from El Paso every year that the Miners play in Dallas. I know because we are one of those travelers. I am not putting that poster down because I have found nothing but great treatment by SMU supporters and the Dallas area and he should do the same for his team and come see how great WE treat other teams fans too.

13. WWWildcat/SMUMustang says:

SMU students are mostly from out-of-state and school was out – rush doesn’t even start until this Thursday. I do think that the decision to let high-rollers have some of the bleacher space rather than the students has cut down on some of the participation we had back in the 1980s.

14. Miner Fan says:

I don’t think school being out had anything to do with it. Last year’s men’s game was during school, and there weren’t very many SMU students there either. As a few people have pointed out – a lot of us UTEP alums live here or in the surrounding areas. A lot of Miner alumni even come from nearby cities such as Austin or San Antonio. We love this city but still cherish our alma mater. Ah well. You guys still gave us a run for our money though! Good job!