Water is a necessity that isn’t accessible for everyone. Out of the many households that do have access to water, there are many that don’t have access to clean and filtered water on tap.
Many households still do not have access to clean and safe water to perform basic daily activities, ranging from drinking water to cooking with it. Water, in essence, contains hydrogen and oxygen. However, it can also contain particles that make it unsafe for consumption. Your water may contain things that put you at risk of contracting a disease, as constant exposure to these harmful substances is dangerous.
Thankfully, technology has produced a solution to this health concern. Water filters are technological products that purify the water and make it safe for drinking and other purposes. A water filter separates the unsafe content from the safe one. It purifies it and removes contaminants from your water through different technological features.
Some water filter systems contain up to five filtration stages that ensure that your water is almost 100% free from any form of contaminant that was there earlier. For instance, if you suspect that your water source contains particles that may be harmful to your health, a water filter removes those toxins through many stages of purification and makes it safe for you to use.
This article discusses some of the best whole house water filters, the features that make them better than others, their advantages and disadvantages. It also provides you with tips to consider when deciding which whole house water filter to purchase.
A whole house water filter should not be confused with an under-the-counter drinking water filter. They perform different functions. A whole house water filter cleanses all the water that is coming into the house, from all the points of entry, whether it is water from your shower, or water for your coffee, or water for your toilet. The under-the-counter drinking water filter only purifies your drinking water from its point of entry.
There are different types of whole house water filter systems but first, let us discuss why a whole house water filter is a necessity and why you should get one.
Why Whole House Water Filter is a Necessity
A whole house water filter is a necessity in your house because unclean and unsafe water makes you prone to some water-borne diseases and unpalatable health conditions, generally.
In simple terms, this is what a whole house water filter does. It removes the toxins that you would not want your water to consist of. These unwanted purities may include stones, iron, or even chlorine that was used while disinfecting it.
The whole house water filter removes anything that is undesirable in the water throughout your entire house. After eliminating these things, your whole house water filter system will provide you with a more pure and healthier form of water.
Whole house water filters are necessary because they remove contaminants that may be present in your water. Apart from making you prone to certain health conditions, these contaminants may make your water taste awful.
Water should be clean, odorless, colorless, and tasteless; this is further guaranteed through the use of whole house filters.
Also, a whole house water filter is necessary because it saves you the stress of installing different filters at all the different points of entry of water in your house. With a whole house water filter, you would not need more than one filter in your house, saving you time and money.
You can avoid spending extra time on maintenance for the different filters since just one whole house water filter will serve a better overall purpose.
Best Whole House Water Filters
We know that there are several whole house water filters out there, and it may be difficult to choose which one to purchase. However, here are the five best whole house water filters that we have specially curated just for you.
We go further by explaining to you the features of these individual whole house water filters, the benefits they will provide for you if you purchase them, their advantages and disadvantages.
#1. SpringWell Whole House Water Filter System: Best Overall
The first on our list of best whole house water filters to install in your house is the SpringWell whole house water filter system. It has a 1,000,000-gallon water capacity to ensure that you do not run out of water for your daily use.
The SpringWell whole house filtration system gets rid of contaminants such as chlorine, PFOA, acids, herbicides, pesticides, and others. It is suitable for your usage as it is easy to install and does not require heavy maintenance. The SpringWell whole house water filter system is especially a good choice if you use the city water.
There is a lifetime warranty on the valves and tanks of the SpringWell whole house water filter system. Installing the SpringWell whole house water filter system does not reduce the house’s water pressure, as the systems are built based on the number of bathrooms in the house.
It has a four-stage filtration process that ensures that your water is free from any harmful contaminants or unwanted contaminants. You can also purchase new filters every six to nine months to replace the former ones when they get old.
The SpringWell whole house water filter system purifies all the water that is entering your home, allowing your water to be safer to use when preparing meals. Also, let’s appreciate how awesome filtered water is towards your skin and hair, as it puts them in a non-harmful condition.
- It has 1,000,000-gallons capacity.
- It is easy to install.
- It requires light maintenance.
- It has a 5-stage filtration process.
- It contains a sediment filter that gets rid of sediments, such as clay.
- The filters can be replaced.
- This whole house water filter system does not reduce the water pressure in your house.
- It removes up to 100% of chlorine and other contaminants.
- The SpringWell water filter system is made in America, and it has certain warranties.
- It does not require electricity to function.
- It is long-lasting. The whole water filter system itself can last up to six years before a need to replace it arises.
- It has heavy storage, as it contains up to one million gallons of water.
- It has a simple installation process.
- Maintenance is not a problem.
- It has a sediments filter for a better purification process.
- It improves the odor and taste of your water.
- There is no need for electricity before it operates.
- There is maximum contact time between the filter and the water.
- It comes in a long-lasting stainless-steel casing.
- The stainless-steel casing prevents rust.
- The water filter system comes with the things you will need to install it.
- The pre-filter has to be changed after about six to nine months.
- It is on the high side, in terms of price.
- It does not come with a filter provision to remove viruses or fluoride.
- It does not come with a replacement filter.
- It can be a bit heavy to lift because it is made of steel.
Maintaining the SpringWell whole house water filter system is not difficult. It is simple to install, with up to a million gallons of water capacity.
With its five-stage filtration process, it purifies your water and gets rid of the contaminants that may be present in your water. Aside from its high cost, you should note that the pre-filters need to be changed very often.
#2. SoftPro Carbon Filter: Best Service
It is another whole house water filter system that can be installed in your house to get rid of the contaminants in your water.
The SoftPro Carbon filter comes in sizes, depending on the number of bathrooms in your house. It does not make use of electricity, and it can filter about 600,000 to 1,000,000 gallons of water. It can last for at least five years.
This SoftPro carbon filter has a catalytic back washing activated carbon filter that it uses for its purification process. With this activated carbon filter, you can access clean and purified water to carry out your daily activities that require water use.
- It can remove about 99% of the contaminants that may be present in your water.
- It removes chemicals such as chlorine.
- It improves the taste and the odor of your water.
- The filter has a high flow rate.
- It removes contaminants in about 600,000 to 1,000,000 gallons of water.
- It uses catalytic carbon to remove contaminants.
- The filter comes with the tank and the catalytic carbon filter.
- It can remove heavy metals and pharmaceutical products.
- Purchasing this filter gives you access to unlimited customer service, even years after you buy the product.
- It gets rid of almost all the contaminants in your water.
- It improves taste and odor.
- It uses no electricity, and you won’t have to worry about electricity bills.
- It is very easy to maintain.
- It has a high storage capacity.
- It is very affordable so if you are on a budget, it can be the best option for you.
- The filtration process is chemical-free.
- It does not waste water.
- This water filter produces an excellent quality of water as the filter maintains a longer contact time with the water.
- This water filter is not suitable for well water. The brand produces a different filtration system for well water. So, you might want to consider that before making the purchase.
- You can hardly find an installation guide online. Your best bet is to hope that you find your way around installing it yourself or hiring a professional. Thankfully, the installation process is quite simple.
The SoftPro carbon filter can filter the water in your house for up to five years. It does this without any chemical interactions between the filter and the purified water. It has a high storage capacity, and it is quite affordable.
#3. SpringWell Whole House Well Water Filter System: Best Well Water Filter System
This whole house water filter is an excellent solution for purifying your private well water. The Spring Well whole house well water filter system uses some of the best technologies in water filtration.
Many private wells contain contaminants such as iron, manganese, and others.
Aside from purifying the water, this well water filter system also improves the water’s taste and color. It also supplies water into your house without any reduction in the water pressure.
The Spring Well well water filter system is specifically designed to remove iron, sulfur, and manganese from your water.
It eliminates about 8 PPM of Hydrogen Sulfide, 7 PPM Iron, and 1 PPM Manganese. It requires little or no maintenance.
- It requires little or no maintenance at all.
- You can set the system to wash itself daily to get rid of all contaminants that may arise from the filtration process.
- It reduces any strange or funky smell from your water.
- It is specifically made for well water, which is great.
- It has a four-stage purification process.
- It has a Bluetooth connection to your phone, which is very convenient.
- It is reliable and durable.
- It removes almost all the contaminants that may be present in the water.
- It requires almost no maintenance so if you are a busy person, this one will be suitable for you.
- It removes any bad odor as it purifies it.
- It is very reasonably priced making it more convenient for individuals with a budget.
- The Bluetooth connection to your phone makes it possible to operate it from your mobile phone.
- It has an application that helps you monitor your water usage.
- The SpringWell whole house water filter system does not remove tannic acid in your well water so that is something that should be considered when purchasing.
The SpringWell whole house water filter system is a filter system that removes contaminants from your water, improves its taste and smell. It is also cost-effective and easy to maintain.
#4. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System: Best For Removing Lead & Cysts
It is another water filter that you can install in your house to make sure that your water supply into the house is free of particles and contaminants that make it unsafe for drinking or other general use in the house.
The Aquasana water filter system is durable as it can filter your water up to a million gallons, which is equivalent to your water supply for about ten years. Does that not sound great? With this Aquasana whole house water filter system, you will no longer have to worry about consuming unsafe water.
Not only does this filtration system remove the contaminants in your water, but it also improves the taste and quality of your water. It ensures cleaner water to use when drinking to hydrate, cooking, and bathing.
While purchasing the Aquasana water filter system, you can choose to add more features to the system for an additional price.
One of the features or functions that are available for you is the UV filter, which protects your home water against the activities of viruses and bacteria. This can be included at an additional fee.
The Aquasana whole house water filter system has been certified to remove about 97% of chlorine in water, as chlorine can even evaporate from your shower and contaminate the air you breathe.
It does not only remove chlorine in your water; it gets rid of other contaminants such as heavy metals such as lead, organic chemicals such as pesticides, pharmaceutical products, or even industrial products.
- The Aquasana whole water filter system removes about 97% of chlorine from your water.
- It provides better quality water.
- You can purchase additional features for your whole house water filter system.
- It filters heavy metals, organic chemicals, pharmaceutical products, or even industrial products.
- It makes use of salt-free technology that prevents any buildup on the pipes or plumbing.
- You can purchase UV filtration for your whole house water filter system. This removes up to a hundred percent of viruses and bacteria.
- It also has an optional pro-grade installation kit that you can request.
- It has simple installation and maintenance processes. However, if you think that you may need assistance with any of these, it is recommended to consult a
- This filter system gets rid of chlorine, as chlorine can cause damage to your hair and skin, and even be dangerous to the air you breathe.
- Aquasana’s filtered water provides more moisture for your skin and hair.
- It has a dual tank design that allows more water contact time with the filters.
- It has a filtration system that prevents water clogging.
- It can remove up to 97% of chlorine, which is great.
- This filter system can purify your water for up to 1,000,000 gallons (which equals about ten years).
- It comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee so there is nothing to lose.
- It comes with the things you need for installation.
- It is durable.
- It improves the taste of your water.
- It ensures a good flow of water into your house.
- It purifies and supplies water into your water outlets.
- The pre-filter should be changed about every three months.
- It may be difficult to install.
- For its installation process, it requires the pex crimper tool, which may not be easily available.
The Aquasana whole house water filter system removes up to about 97% of your water; this makes your water suitable for drinking, showering, or other purposes. It improves the taste of your water and does not reduce your water pressure.
#5. Pelican Premium Whole House Water Filter System: Low Maintenance
Last but certainly not least, we present to you the Pelican Premium whole house water filter system. Relatively similar to the filtration systems mentioned above, it purifies your water from all contaminants that may be present. It has a capacity of about 600,000 gallons of water, with a lifetime warranty.
The Pelican Premium whole house water filter system comes in different sizes created to suit the number of bathrooms you have in your house. For instance, there is the PC600 that can supply water to about one to three bathrooms. There is the PC 1000 that can supply about four to six bathrooms. This one can filter up to 1,000,000 gallons of water.
It can also be referred to as the Pelican Carbon Series whole house water filter system. It is easy to install, and it requires little to no maintenance. The Pelican water system also comes in stainless steel that looks great and is of excellent quality. It makes use of an up-flow water filter system that reduces water wastage as much as possible.
With its four-stage filtration process, it ensures that the water running through your home from all water outlets is clean and safe for daily usage.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty on some parts, especially the tank.
- It uses an up-flow water filtration system.
- It removes up to 97% of chlorine.
- It uses carbon media to filter the water and not add any contaminants back into the water.
- It has a four-stage filtration process, which removes particles, such as sand.
- It gives you better quality than bottled.
- It does not require electricity to function.
- It reduces water wastage through its up-flow water filter system.
- It comes in different models that are dependent on the number of bathrooms your house contains. There is a model that can support up to three bathrooms and another model that can contain even more.
- It removes chloramine.
- It is easy to install. You do not need to have any special knowledge before installing it.
- This water filtration system has a large tank that improves the overall performance of the filter.
- It gets rid of almost all the contaminants in your house.
- It requires little to no maintenance process.
- There are no plumbing services required during the replacement process.
- It reduces contaminants that are even small in size; smaller than our hair strands.
- It has an easy installation process.
- It does not need electricity to operate.
- It has an excellent filtration system that can take up to five years capacity of water.
- It may be unsuitable for the people whose main water supply is from the well, as it does not filter out the iron.
The Pelican Premium water filter is an excellent filter system to invest in if you are looking for a system that is easy to install, that filters almost all of the contaminants in the water and does not require electricity. The only downside to this is that it is not a suitable choice if your source of main water is well.
Do You Need A Whole House Water Filter?
Almost all sources of water contain a certain level of contaminants. These contaminants may be natural or man-made or as a result of chemical activities. A whole house water filter eliminates the problems you have with your water, whether it is the taste, odor, feel, or even appearance.
You need the whole house water filter because it ensures that the water coming into your house, whether it is bathroom water or kitchen water, is clean and safe for usage.
A whole house water filter guarantees that you are not at risk of contracting diseases or other health conditions just from using your water. It also promotes healthier skin, as it gets rid of contaminants in your water that may be harmful to your skin. It is also beneficial to your clothes, making them cleaner and safer when installing a whole house water filter.
A whole house water filter gives you peace of mind when it comes to the constant worry of contaminants that may be present in your water.
Although your water has been treated or disinfected from your local source, it is still important to install a whole house water filter due to the extra benefits it provides when filtering your home’s water. Without the whole house water filter, contaminants may still be present from the treatment or disinfecting processes
Many water bottling companies use water filter systems to make their water suitable for usage by the general public. Hence, installing a whole house water filter gives you the same quality of water from a water bottling company plus more. A whole house water filter is essential and will encourage benefits such as reducing plastic use from constantly purchasing water bottles. This is not only beneficial for yourself but also for the environment.
So, is it worth purchasing a whole house water filtration system? The answer is simply, yes. It will deliver positive results such as better water quality, better taste, and smell, eliminate things such as discoloration, chlorine, particles, or bacterial contamination.
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look for in a Whole House Water Filter
There are different types and models of water filters that are sold in the market. “How do I know which water filter to choose?” “Why should I choose this water filter?” “What should guide me when purchasing a water filter for my house?” All of your questions about getting a water filter are valid.
Two households may not use the same water filter as their needs may be different; the contaminants and particles in the water may be different.
This buyer’s guide provides answers to some of these questions. More importantly, it tells you the things to look out for when purchasing a water filter.
What is the amount of filtered water the water filter system produces per minute? You need to take this into consideration because the rate of water flow of your system affects the supply of water into all the water outlets in your house.
The rate of water flow should be suitable for the kind of household you have, whether large or small. A small household can manage using a water filter that does not produce much water per minute; however, a larger household may encounter significant problems.
Before purchasing a water filter, you should ask or find out what kind of filters the system has and the types of contaminants it gets rid of. Contaminants may vary per water source.
If you are not sure of the predominant water contaminant in yours, you may get a test. You can conduct tests on your water that will reveal what kind of pollutants are in your water and in what ratio.
If your water contains high bacterial contamination, you should consider getting a whole house water filter system with a UV filter.
Cost is another factor that should be taken into consideration when purchasing a whole house water filter system. How much does it cost? Does the cost fit into your budget? How much will its installation cost me? How much will maintenance cost me? How much will I spend on replacements? The answers to these questions guide you into making the decision that is best for your financial capabilities.
There are filter systems that suit different budgets. You will definitely find one that is affordable for you and performs excellently.
Number of Bathrooms
Some water filter systems have different models for different numbers of bathrooms. This ensures that there is no drop in the water pressure and the amount of water supply that goes into the house.
Some filters can handle about one to three bathrooms, while others can supply water to more. You should get a water filter that is suitable for the number of bathrooms you have; this ensures that you get a maximum water supply through every water outlet in your home, without any significant drop in the water pressure.
Only purchase water filter systems that have been certified by the appropriate agencies to have met up with the national and international requirements.
Also, customer reviews are another form of certification for a product. You can read up on the type of water filter you want to get and check for any negative reviews and see if these reviews outweigh the positive reviews.
Another important factor that there is to consider is the durability of the water filter system you want to buy. How long will it last? How often do you need to change the filters? What do the reviews say about its durability?
You do not want to spend a massive chunk of your money on a water filter that does not last long. A good water filter system should last for about five years without needing replacement.
You should also check for how often you will need to be replacing the filters in the filter system. We recommend that you have an idea of how many times you will be changing the filters in which water filter system you plan to purchase. Filters can further contaminate the water if they are not changed as often as they should be changed.
Installation and Maintenance Processes
This factor requires you to have an idea of what the installation and maintenance processes of the water filter system you plan to purchase are like. Is the installation something you can do yourself, or do you have to hire a professional?
How often do you need to maintain it, and what is the process like? Can you do it yourself, or do you require the assistance of a professional?
You should go for a water filter system that is easy to install and maintain without needing any external or professional help.
Some water filter systems require the use of electricity to function well. Before purchasing such a water filter system, are you sure you have sufficient power supply to handle it?
Otherwise, if you experience power cuts frequently, you should get a filter system that does not require electricity to perform, or at least, one that does not require electricity to perform some of its basic functions.
Which Type of House Water Filter Should You Get?
The type of house water filter you should get should be dependent on the level or range of contaminants in your house and your consumption needs. However, you should note these things before purchasing a house water filter.
Luckily, many house water filters do not require a lot of maintenance. You only need to change the filters as often as you can to prevent the buildup of more contaminants. Whether you choose a 100,000-gallon filter or a 1,000,000-gallon filter, make sure it is equal to your budget and household needs.
How much water you consume on a daily basis should be another factor for deciding which house water filter to get. If you consume a lot of water daily, you may need to change the filter every month.
Also, if you are not a heavy consumer of water and you purchase a filter that can last up to five years, it will produce further buildup in your water and make it even more unsafe for usage.
Therefore, the filter you invest in should be suitable for your level of water consumption.
The particles or contaminants that are present in your water may determine the kind of filter you should get. For instance, if there is a heavy concentration of bacterial infection in your water, you should get a UV filter to purify your water for such infection.
Whole House Water Filter Systems Installation & Maintenance?
Just like water softeners, whole house water filter systems are pretty easy to install. You do not need to have existing technical knowledge before installing it.
If you strongly believe that you cannot do it on your own, you can request professional help to help you with it. However, here is a short guide on how to install your whole house water filter system.
- Disconnect the main point of the water supply.
- Drain it.
- Select a location for your filter. Make sure the location you are choosing is easily accessible and comfortable since it is something you will be using every day.
- Cut your pipe.
- Install all fittings according to the guidelines of the manufacturers.
- Install the filter, making sure that all of its parts are where they are supposed to be.
- Turn off the inlet valve of the filter.
- Connect the main water supply and check if there are any leaks.
- Turn the valve on and confirm if there are no leaks.
For the maintenance process, you do not have to do much. You only need to change the filter. When changing the filter, turn off the inlet valve of the system and take out the filter. Put a new one in, turn the valve back on and check for leaks.
We usually assume that city water is clean because it has been certified so. However, it contains some contaminants that can still be removed, and this can be done through the use of a water filtration system.
A whole house water filter system purifies the water that is entering your house from its entry point. With a whole house water filter system, you can access clean and purified water, free of contaminants, bad taste, or bad odor.
You can also run a test on your well to determine what kind of contaminants are present in your water and in what ratio. Contaminants include particles such as sands or pebbles, which can be filtered with a pre-filter.
Your water may also have gotten contaminated directly from disinfection due to the use of chlorine. Other contaminants include industrial waste or pharmaceutical products.
Knowing the specific contaminants you have in your house is an important factor to know, which will help you choose which of these best whole house water filter systems to purchase.
After reading through the product specifications of each whole house water filter system, with their pros and cons, you should be one step closer to finding out the perfect water filter system for you. Out of these top-notch quality water filtration systems listed above, we hope you experience the best transition for a cleaner and healthier water flow in your home.