Many Americans suffer greatly from sleep issues and insomnia that they use prescription medication for. These days, people are turning towards CBD to help with their difficult sleep issues.
The American Sleep Association states that 50-70 million American adults suffer from a sleep disorder. Moreover, 30% of adults struggle with insomnia — which the American Sleep Association lists as the most common sleep disorder — while 10% of adults struggle with chronic insomnia. In order for the body and brain to function properly, an adequate amount of sleep is needed each night. Adults typically require 7-9 hours of sleep, teenagers need 8-10 hours of sleep, and children 6-12 years of age should be getting 9-12 hours of sleep. Astonishingly, nearly 9 million Americans take prescription sleeping medication, and of those who take the medication, 18% use pills on a daily basis.
Recently, there has been a natural health and wellness revival in the United States. People are seeking out more holistic methods to help them deal with difficult medical issues like insomnia, chronic pain, arthritis, and more. Interestingly, scientific studies confirm that CBD can be helpful in calming down a vast array of medical conditions, with sleep disorders being among those noted. Our guide to the best CBD oils for sleep and insomnia will help you discover how CBD can be beneficial in the fight against sleep issues, and which brands have the best products to use in that fight.
Research on CBD and Sleep
Before we can get into why CBD helps with sleep issues and insomnia, it’s important to learn why sleep issues arise in the first place. There are many reasons why people have sleep issues and insomnia. The Mayo Clinic states that insomnia stems from:
- Anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorders, and other mental health issues
- Prescription medication that disrupts the sleep-wake cycle
- Chronic pain, restless leg syndrome, and other conditions
- Caffeine — if consumed too late in the day
- Poor sleeping conditions such as loud noises or an uncomfortable mattress
A 2019 study shows that CBD can be helpful at treating anxiety, thus allowing a more restful sleep by decreasing the causes of insomnia. In that study, participants were given 25 mg CBD capsules every day. During that first month, over 79 percent of participants reported having lower anxiety, while over 66 percent reported improved sleep overall.
Likewise, further studies prove that CBD can help to calm down pain, which can help to improve sleep in those struggling with sleep disturbances and insomnia. Scientists also looked into patients diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease and found that CBD helped to calm down issues stemming from REM sleep behavior disorder, which is linked to nightmares and low quality sleep.
In light of all of the research studies performed, it’s clear to see that CBD is helpful to use for sleep issues and insomnia as part of your daily natural supplement regimen. The next things to determine are what brand you will use and what strength will be the most effective.
Our Top 5 CBD Oil Brands for Sleep
We carefully selected our top 5 brands based on the strict criteria we came up with. After we sifted through a long list of reputable brands, we decided that the following brands were the most reputable and had the most potent and effective CBD oils:
What We Took Into Consideration When Looking for the Best CBD Oil for Sleep
As we started to review CBD oil brands, we knew our list would grow to be quite enormous. And we were right! Once we cut down the list into something more manageable, we then crafted specific criteria to help us whittle the list down even more. Our main goal was to give our readers the best CBD oil brands for sleep and insomnia.
In trying to come up with specific guidelines for our list, we looked closely at:
- Number of years that brand has been in business
- CBD oil ingredients
- Verified Customer reviews
- Third-party lab tests
- If the lab reports were published and easy for customers to find on the brand’s website
- Source of hemp
- Published writing from CBD experts as well as CBD journalists
- Potency and purity of the CBD oil
- Brand reputation
- Product prices
As we went through our guidelines and compared them with the brands on our list, we were able to cut our list down even further until we were left with the top five CBD oils for sleep and insomnia that are presented below.
Best CBD Oil for Sleep and Insomnia
FAB CBD made its grand entrance into the CBD world in 2017 and has since grown as one of the most trusted and reputable brands around. The brand is highly transparent, believes in helping customers naturally advance their health and wellness goals, and prides itself on crafting high-quality, top-shelf CBD products that everyone can use and afford. FAB CBD has grown in popularity among CBD enthusiasts because of its reputation for being a trustworthy, transparent brand that truly cares about its customers’ needs. To that end, the brand’s mission has always been to create the very best CBD and nutritional products that allow customers to live a preventative wellness lifestyle.
Everyone at FAB CBD is well aware of what it takes to bring the brand’s mission to life. Because of this, they all take great care to formulate the most potent, cleanest, and most effective CBD products on the market today. Long-time customers frequently comment about how the brand’s products have helped them in one way or another. They also rave about FAB CBD’s caring, kind, and empathetic customer service department. Truly, when it comes to products, transparency, customer service, and reputation, it was without hesitation that FAB CBD would be our number one pick for the best CBD oils for sleep and insomnia.
- Highlights — FAB CBD stands out in an industry that is overwhelmed with CBD brands and products because of its stellar customer service, transparency, and top-shelf products. The brand’s caring and warm customer service department, along with its top-not products are two of the main reasons why customers keep coming back time and time again.
- Hemp Sources — FAB CBD’s award-winning extracts come directly from organically grown Colorado hemp that’s free from pesticides, herbicides, and other dangerous chemicals. The brand is extremely innovative in its use of cutting-edge cloning and growing equipment to ensure that only the best, most pure extracts come from its hemp. Moreover, FAB CBD uses the industry-preferred, clean CO2 extraction process to make sure that all of its extracts are pristine, potent, and pure.
- About FAB CBD Oil — FAB CBD’s full-spectrum CBD oils come in a variety of strengths including 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg, and in smooth and delicious flavors like vanilla, mint, berry, citrus, and natural.
- Lab Testing — Transparency is of utmost importance to everyone at FAB CBD. Therefore, the brand hires ProVerde Laboratories, a third-party lab, to test all of its products for strength and purity. FAB CBD then makes all of those results public on its website.
- Customer Service — The brand’s customer service department is caring, warm, and highly attentive to customers’ questions and concerns.
- Pros — FAB CBD is involved in the creation process of all its products from seed to sale. All of the product ingredients come from clean, quality, organic sources. The brand’s full-spectrum oils are potent and pure. Lastly, when compared to other reputable brands in the CBD industry, FAB CBD’s prices are affordable and reflect the high-quality products that you’re ordering.
- Cons — There currently is no international shipping available.
- Our Thoughts and Conclusions — There was no doubt in our minds that FAB CBD was going to be our number one choice for the best CBD oil for sleep and insomnia. When it comes to transparency, top-notch customer service, and top-shelf, potent CBD products, FAB CBD stands out head and shoulders above the rest. The brand works tirelessly to keep bringing its customers innovative CBD products that will help boost their health as well as help them meet their wellness goals.
The team at Populum has been on a mission to give all of their customers the best possible experience through the clean and potent CBD products that they create. To that end, the brand believes in transparency, creating top-shelf products, and making sure customers are happy. Populum strives to reinvent what modern self-care looks like through all of its premium CBD oils.
Populum first made its way into the CBD industry in 2016. Gunhee Park, the brand’s founder, grew up in South Korea where he learned how to calm and heal his body, mind, and skin with natural herbs. Park’s drive to bring CBD into the mainstream came from having many difficult health issues as a child as well as having a life-long passion for plant-based supplements. As an adult, he found that CBD could be beneficial in healing many tough health issues. To that end, the brand’s main mission is to educate as many people as they can about CBD as they continue to put forth premium products that will help support customers’ health and wellness goals.
- Highlights — Populum, which is located in Arizona, Omaha, and Nebraska, boasts that it has served over 25,000 customers to date. The brand has an array of full-spectrum CBD oils, capsules, topicals, edibles, and pet products. Populum is unique in that it triple-tests all of its products by using an independent lab. The brand then places copies of the lab reports into every order that goes out to customers. Populum also places transparency high among its priorities and also seeks to educate customers as well as offer them live customer support and educational materials.
- Source of Hemp — Populum’s hemp is grown on its Colorado farm. After the CO2 extraction process, the extracts are tested by the brand, and then tested two more times by an independent third-party laboratory. All of those lab reports are dispensed to customers with their orders.
- About The CBD Oil — Populum’s full-spectrum tincture comes in 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, and 2000mg. The brand’s oils come in an award-winning orange flavor.
- Lab Testing — The brand triple-tests all of its products through an independent third-party lab and then also sends copies of reports out with every product that is ordered.
- Customer Service — Populum offers customers many different avenues with which to get in touch. Customers can contact the brand through email, phone, and live chat support. Many customers report that the brand’s customer service department is very helpful and responsive to customer needs, questions, and concerns.
- Pros — Verified customer reviews confirm that the brand’s oils are potent and effective. Moreover, customers also really enjoy Populum’s flavor profile for their full-spectrum oils. The brand also has strict testing standards and uses extremely clean ingredients in the creation of all of its CBD products.
- Cons — Product prices are somewhat expensive.
- Our Thoughts and Conclusions — Populum is a solid brand that truly cares about its customers. To that end, education, transparency, and the creation of high-quality products are extremely important to Populum. The brand’s full-spectrum oils are clean and potent. Lastly, Populum strives to make sure all customers obtain a copy of third-party lab reports by sending them along with every order.
Since 2012, PlusCBD has been a pioneer in the CBD industry. The brand works hard to bring customers clean, safe, effective hemp-derived CBD products. The team at PlusCBD pushes to change the landscape of what legalized hemp-derived CBD products look like. The brand believes awareness and acceptance of the hemp plant and its benefits are of utmost importance in today’s booming CBD industry.
PlusCBD feels transparency is extremely important, and therefore routinely tests all of its CBD products for purity and potency. The brand is also involved in the product creation process from seed to sale. PlusCBD’s mission is to help improve the well-being of people and of the planet. In order to carry out that belief, the brand works hard to help bolster the health of its employees, customers, and community through science and innovation in the field of CBD.
- Highlights — PlusCBD’s full-spectrum products are crafted from organically grown agricultural hemp. Even though the brand does have CBD oil for dogs, it makes full-spectrum sprays and oil drops for humans. PlusCBD full-spectrum sprays come in strengths of 100mg and 500mg and in unflavored and peppermint flavors.
- Source of Hemp —The brand’s extracts and CBD ingredients come from EU-certified hemp grown by expert farmers with years of experience in cultivating organic hemp. There are no herbicides or pesticides or chemicals used to grow the brand’s hemp. Lastly, PlusCBD uses the industry preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its extracts.
- About The CBD Oil — PlusCBD offers CBD sprays in strengths of 100mg and 500mg, 500mg maximum strength PlusCBD Drops, 250mg PlusCBD Drops, and 500mg PlusCBD Drops.
- Lab Testing — Like most reputable brands, PlusCBD also uses an independent lab to test all of its products for potency and purity. Customers can find those results on the brand’s website.
- Customer Service — Not much is known about the brand’s customer service department. However, it is open Monday-Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm PST.
- Pros — PlusCBD uses whole plant extracts in its products. Dosing is also flexible. Finally, verified customer reviews verify that the taste of the brand’s oils is superb. Customers also say that the brand’s oils help them with energy and focus.
- Cons — The brand’s oils tend to be on the expensive side, and the hemp is sourced overseas. Any hemp that comes from overseas is not regulated the same way that hemp from the United States is.
- Our Thoughts and Conclusions — Even though the brand has a strong reputation, we found that it was lacking in product variety. PlusCBD, however, is transparent, and customers really seem to love the flavor of the brand’s oils.
Hemp Bombs was founded in 2016 in Tampa, Florida before CBD was “cool” because the owners knew that CBD had numerous documented health benefits. To that end, the brand’s team is dedicated to spreading the word about natural wellness throughout the world with Hemp Bomb’s hemp-derived CBD gummies, CBD oil, and other premium CBD products. All of the brand’s products are crafted from top-quality industrial-grade hemp and manufactured in-house at a state-of-the-art CBD facility that Hemp Bombs owns.
The brand constantly looks for innovative ways for customers to use CBD in their daily lives. In fact, Hemp Bombs wants customers to be able to sleep well, work, exercise, travel, and relax well through regular use of its high-quality CBD products. All of Hemp Bombs’ products are broad-spectrum, so even though they don’t contain any THC, you’ll still get all of the benefits of the hemp plant’s cannabinoids, phytonutrients, and terpenes. Along with CBD oil drops, the brand also makes gummies, capsules, vape liquids, topicals, and much more.
- Highlights — Hemp Bombs products are available online and are also sold at 25,000 local retail stores around the nation. Some of the brand’s more popular products include CBD oil drops, gummies, capsules, and topicals. Hemp Bombs have a fairly mid-range price point.
- Source of Hemp — The brand sources all of its organic, high-quality industrial hemp from environmentally conscious and sustainable farmlands in North Carolina. The hemp is also tested for heavy metals, residual solvents, and mycotoxins. Hemp Bombs uses an ethanol alcohol method to extract oil from all of their hemp.
- About The CBD Oil — Hemp Bombs offers a variety of flavors and strengths when it comes to its CBD oils. The oils come in strengths of 125mg, 300mg, 750mg, 1500mg, 3000mg, and 5000mg. The 125mg CBD oil comes in five flavors and a broad spectrum. All of the other concentrations come in six flavors and are CBD isolate oils.
- Lab Testing — Hemp Bombs uses extensive third-party lab testing by Green Scientific to ensure that all of its products are clean and potent. The lab tests for cannabinoid potency, residual solvents, heavy metals, pesticides, microbes, terpenes, mycotoxins, moisture, water activity, filth, and foreign material. Customers can access the third-party lab reports by scanning the QR codes on the products they’ve purchased. Interestingly, the brand also uses ACS Laboratory to confirm all lab test results.
- Customer Service — Hemp Bombs’ customer service is said to be extremely responsive. Customers are able to get a response to their questions and concerns in a fast and timely fashion. However, some customers said that the replies they received did not fully address their questions and concerns. Moreover, that response was also said to be a bit unfriendly.
- Pros — The brand uses extensive third-party lab testing, has a large product selection, and participates in beneficial scientific research studies.
- Cons — Hemp Bombs uses ethanol extraction, is not that highly rated for its customer service, needs an updated more user-friendly website, and has some low-quality ingredients in some of its products.
- Our Thoughts and Conclusions — Hemp Bombs is a reliable and reputable brand that creates interesting CBD products. The brand’s prices are reasonable and the customers seem to really love Hemp Bombs’ CBD oils. The one drawback that we found was that some of the ingredients in the products were of lesser quality.
Green Roads was first started in 2013 by Laura Fuentes who is a compound pharmacist. She began formulating CBD products in her spare time for a friend who was dealing with opioid dependence. Since the venture was successful, Fuentes and her friend Arby decided to create Green Roads so that they could help people who were struggling with the same issue or who were simply looking for a safe, natural wellness product.
Since the company was started before CBD oil and CBD products became hugely popular, the small team at Green Roads had to depend on a grassroots way of making their presence known to the world. Therefore, they began helping one friend and one family member at a time until they were taken seriously by the general public and by the CBD industry. The brand eventually saw huge growth in the CBD market and decided to expand Green Roads by hiring new team members so that they could be the company that everyone is familiar with today.
- Highlights — Green Roads uses a variety of carrier oils and vegetable glycerine in the creation of its CBD products. This method enhances the bioavailability and improves the taste of the oils. The brand is highly transparent with customers, and uses an independent third-party lab, Kaycha Labs, to routinely test all of its products. Green Roads uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its extracts. The brand creates full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD oils in a variety of strengths and flavors.
- Source of Hemp — All of Green Roads’ hemp comes from farms in NC, OR, and CA where the farmers use organic farming methods.
- About The CBD Oil — Green Roads offers a 750mg Sweet Sleep CBD oil that is a blend of CBD, CBN, and melatonin. The brand’s full-spectrum CBD oils come in strengths of 300mg, 750mg, and 1,500mg, while its broad spectrum oils come in strengths of 300mg, 750mg, and 1500mg.
- Lab Testing — Every batch of the brand’s CBD is regularly tested by Kaycha Labs, an independent laboratory. Customers are then given access to those test results when they scan the QR codes on the products that they’ve purchased.
- Customer Service — Overall, customers are happy with Green Roads’ customer service department. Customers can contact customer services via a live chat call, or through support email.
- Pros — Green Roads offers a large variety of products that are thoroughly tested by an independent third-party lab. The CBD oils are clean, potent, and come in a wide array of strengths, flavors, and types.
- Cons — While some people enjoy a wide range of products, sometimes having too many options to choose from can be confusing and overwhelming – especially if you are new to the world of CBD.
- Our Thoughts and Conclusions — Green Roads has always followed a strict list of standards when it comes to product formulation, product creation, testing, and certification. Even though the price point may be a bit on the expensive side, the potency and quality definitely make up for that. Moreover, Green Roads is a solid brand that cares about the quality and potency of its products and the wellbeing of its customers.
Why Is Sleep Important?
It might not feel like that big of a deal to miss a few nights of sleep. The fact of the matter is, a good night’s sleep is imperative to the proper functioning of the brain and the body. During sleep, the body is able to restore itself. While you sleep, cells synthesize protein, growth hormones are released, and tissues repair themselves.
While we know that sleep is important to the body and the brain, it’s also important to know that not everyone requires the same amount of sleep in order for their body to function optimally. Most adults only need about six to nine hours of sleep within a 24 hour period. According to the Sleep Association, when the body is deprived of sleep, bodily functions can be thrown out of whack. Sleep has a major influence on your immune system, memory, attention, hunger, mood, response time, and so much more.
We all know that children need sleep in order to develop and grow properly. Therefore, when children do not have a restful and restorative night’s sleep, they can potentially do poorly in school. When adults don’t get adequate sleep, their reaction time can be impaired — which means they’ll have increased chances for automobile accidents, their immune system becomes weakened — which means they will be more susceptible to colds, the flu, and other illnesses, and their emotional health will suffer — which means that they’ll become more prone to depression and anxiety. Furthermore, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute states that people who suffer from sleep issues are more likely to develop high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes.
Restful and restorative sleep is vital to mental health and proper body and brain function. Therefore, it’s important to make sure you do all you can to get the best night’s sleep possible. There are many things you can do to set yourself up for a solid night of sleep. First, you can turn off all electronic devices an hour before bedtime and store them someplace other than your bedroom. Second, you can take CBD oil 45 minutes to an hour before bed. Third, you can set up your sleep environment to be calming and peaceful by dimming or turning off the lights, playing soft music or nature sounds, having soft and comfortable bedding, and making sure you go to bed around the same time each night.
CBD Over Pills: How Sleeping Pills Can do More Harm Than Good
Many people suffer from chronic sleep disorders and insomnia. Normally, they try to resolve these issues by taking sleeping pills that they either purchase over the counter or that are prescribed to them by their primary care doctor or healthcare specialist. Lately, however, more people are seeking out natural methods, like CBD oil, to help them get to sleep. While sleeping pills may seem to help the issue in the short term, they can cause serious health issues over time.
There are many side effects associated with sleeping pills. Some of the more common side effects linked to prescription sleeping medication are:
- Changes in appetite
- Burning or tingling in the hands, arms, feet, or legs
- Daytime drowsiness
- Dry mouth or dry throat
- Balance issues
- Unusual dreams
- Attention or memory issues
- Stomach pains
Some people even report having more severe issues, like sleepwalking, while taking sleeping pills. Moreover, people who have been taking sleeping pills for long periods of time can become tolerant to them, or worse, dependent on them.
Can CBD Improve Your Sleep?
Studies show that CBD can have a calming effect on the nervous system. Furthermore, multiple studies have shown that CBD can effectively help treat many other sleep disorders like:
Many scientists think that CBD can help improve sleep by positively impacting other difficult issues like depression, chronic pain, and anxiety that can cause sleep disturbances. When these issues are calmed down, the brain can better focus on getting the body ready for a restorative and restful night’s sleep.
CBD Oil vs Gummies: Which is Best for Sleep?
While both CBD oil and CBD gummies can be beneficial in their own ways, they both interact with the body differently. CBD oil is available in concentrated tinctures that come in a variety of strengths and flavors. When you take CBD oil and hold the drops under your tongue for 60 seconds, you’re allowing the CBD to enter into your bloodstream through the thin membrane under your tongue. Moreover, you can easily adjust the dose of your CBD oil so that it can be more effective at handling your sleep issues or your insomnia.
CBD gummies, while a convenient and easy way to get CBD into your system, only come in one dose. And while CBD oil enters directly into your bloodstream by bypassing the digestive system, the CBD in gummies takes longer to enter into your body because your digestive system has to break down the gummy first. Because of this, you’ll feel the results from CBD oil faster than you’ll feel the results from CBD gummies.
Both CBD oil and CBD gummies are effective for pain, anxiety, depression, insomnia, and sleep issues. Therefore, your lifestyle and preferences will dictate which one is best for you to use against your insomnia and sleep issues. Gummies typically come in doses of 10mg, 15mg, and 25mg of CBD per gummy, while CBD oils can come in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg of CBD per bottle. If you want a higher dose of cannabinoids, want to be able to adjust your dosage, or want a CBD product that will give you fast relief for sleep and insomnia, then CBD oils are the best option. However, if you are looking for a colorful, fun way to take your CBD every day, an easy way to get the same dosage of CBD each day, or are looking for a better way to take your CBD on the go, then you should choose CBD gummies for sleep and insomnia issues. Remember, when it comes to sleep, you want to go with the option that will work the best. CBD oils have higher absorption rates and work much quicker than CBD gummies.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of the two main cannabinoids found in the hemp and marijuana plants. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the other main cannabinoid. While CBD doesn’t have any psychoactive properties, THC can cause feelings of euphoria when taken in high quantities. While the marijuana plant naturally contains large amounts of THC, the hemp plant is bred to contain low levels of THC that will not cause anyone to feel “high.”
Full-spectrum CBD oil derived from hemp contains all of the hemp plant’s beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients, and is less than the legal limit of 0.3% THC. In fact, according to the 2018 Farm Bill, all CBD that’s bought and purchased in the United States must be created from hemp and must contain no more than 0.3% THC.
CBD oil comes in 3 different varieties: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate. As stated earlier, full-spectrum products contain CBD, THC, and all of the other beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients of the hemp plant. Broad-spectrum products are very much like full-spectrum products except they do not contain any THC. Lastly, CBD isolates products only contain 99% pure CBD, as all of the other parts and components of the hemp plant are filtered out.
While each variety has its own set of benefits, only full-spectrum and broad-spectrum products create the entourage effect in the human body. The entourage effect is beneficial because each compound boosts each other’s positive effects while dampening each other’s negative effects. In other words, all compounds work together in a synergistic manner. The entourage effect will not happen with CBD isolate products because all THC and other terpenes, phytonutrients, and cannabinoids are filtered out, leaving only 99% pure CBD.
Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD oil has many scientifically documented benefits. In fact, CBD may help the causes of sleepiness, excessive daytime sleepiness, general grogginess, insomnia, and other difficult health issues. CBD oil can also greatly help with pain, anxiety, and sleep because it works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help the body return to a state of balance or homeostasis.
The endocannabinoid system helps in regulating emotions, motor control, immune system function, and pain response. While the body has its own endocannabinoids when cannabinoids from CBD oil like CBD and THC are taken into the body, they work with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system to help calm down anxiety, alleviate chronic pain, and help relax the brain and the body so that restful sleep is easier to come by.
How Does CBD Oil Work for Sleep?
As stated earlier, the body has its own natural endocannabinoid system that works to keep it in a state of balance. The body’s endocannabinoids are anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglyerol. These endocannabinoids help keep the body’s internal functions running smooth and clean. The body will produce these two endocannabinoids whenever it needs them.
The body’s two main endocannabinoid receptors are CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are located in the central nervous system, and CB2 receptors are commonly found in the peripheral nervous system — mostly in the immune cells. Cannabinoids and endocannabinoids bind to either receptor. When cannabinoids and endocannabinoids bind to the CB1 receptors, they do so to help relieve pain, but when they bind to the CB2 receptors, they do so to help the body signal that it’s experiencing inflammation.
Some processes and functions that the endocannabinoid system, or ECS, helps with are:
- Chronic pain
- Motor control
- Cardiovascular function
- Skin and nerve function
When a full-spectrum CBD oil is taken, THC enters into the body to bind with the CB1 and CB2 receptors. In this way, THC can help to alleviate pain and increase appetite. While scientific experts aren’t exactly sure how CBD interacts with the ECS, they can confirm that it doesn’t bind to the CB1 or CB2 receptors in the same manner that THC does. Scientists do believe, however, that CBD functions to prevent endocannabinoids from being broken down, which allows them to have a stronger effect on the body.
In thinking about the endocannabinoid system and how CBD works with it, then it makes sense to assume that CBD oil works with the body’s CB1 and CB2 receptors to bring about more restful and restorative sleep through the alleviation of pain, anxiety, and other health issues and systemic dysregulations. Many researchers, therefore, believe that CBD has a positive effect on the root causes of insomnia.
How to Use CBD Oil for Sleep
There are many ways to use CBD for sleep. While some people use CBD pills and capsules, others find that CBD oil, edibles like gummies, and even CBD vapes help them best. CBD oil, however, is the most commonly used CBD product for sleep. How much CBD oil you use and when you take it depends on a number of different factors. Finding the correct dosage of CBD oil depends on your weight, the type of sleep issue you have, and your overall body chemistry.
While many clinical trials give those enrolled between 25mg and 1500mg of CBD oil per day, that’s not the best way to begin using the oil for sleep and insomnia on your own. The best rule of thumb when it comes to taking CBD oil for sleep and insomnia, as well as other tough health issues, is to start low and go slow. Also, patience is key. Sometimes it can take a month or longer to see noticeable results from taking CBD oil regularly. Therefore, consistency is also key. Take the CBD oil at the same time each and every day in order for it to be the most effective.
If you’re on any other medications or have any questions or concerns, then it’s imperative that you speak with your primary care doctor or healthcare specialist before taking any CBD products. It’s always better to err on the side of safety before adding any new supplements into your existing health and wellness regimen.
How to Make CBD Oil More Effective for a Good Night’s Sleep
In order to get the most out of your CBD oil as well as have it be as effective as possible, you should be consistent and patient. Take CBD oil at the same time each and every day. Also, if you are using CBD oil for sleep and insomnia, you should take it about an hour before bedtime. It’s also best to take CBD oil with some food in your stomach. Moreover, when you take your CBD oil, you should hold it under your tongue for about 60 seconds before swallowing. This will give the CBD time to get into your bloodstream through the thin membranes under your tongue. You should feel the CBD take effect within 15 to 45 minutes, and it can remain effective for up to four hours.
After you’ve taken your CBD for the evening, you should begin to disconnect from all electronic devices. Powerdown cell phones, tablets, televisions, and any other electronic device about an hour before bedtime. Store them in a room that’s not the bedroom, as the devices can still emit electromagnetic frequencies that can disrupt sleep.
When it comes to your bedroom, turn the lights off and either leave the room dark or have a softly glowing nightlight. Your bed sheets, comforter, and pillows should be soft and comfortable, and your mattress should be supportive. If you need to hear sounds while you sleep, consider buying a sound machine that can play nature sounds, water sounds, or some type of white noise quietly in the background. Do not have a television in your bedroom. If you must have one, however, shut it off about an hour before bed. Your room temperature should be comfortable as well. Keeping the room too hot or too cold can also potentially interfere with getting a good night’s rest.
CBD Dosage for Sleep
Everyone’s body is different, therefore, there isn’t one set dose that will work best for everyone. When you’re just starting to take CBD, it’s best to start low and go up slowly. Also, higher milligram bottles like 1200mg and 2400mg are great for tougher health issues like sleep and insomnia, while lower strengths like 300mg and 600mg work well to help support general health and wellbeing.
If, for example, you’re using a 600mg bottle of CBD oil, then you should begin by taking half a dropper full once a day. A half dropper will equal 10mg. Stay at this dose for about one week before increasing. After a week has passed, check-in with yourself to see how you’re feeling. If you feel that you need to increase your dose, then go up to half a dropper full twice a day. This will equal 10mg of CBD oil twice a day, or 20mg of oil a day. Stay with this dose for another week before seeing how your body feels. If you feel great, then stay where you are. If you don’t feel any differences, then go ahead and increase your dose slowly once again. Follow this method until you’ve reached the best dose for your sleep and insomnia needs. Remember to also take your CBD oil at the same time each and every day. As stated earlier, consistency is key.
Potential Side Effects of CBD Oil
CBD oil has relatively few side effects. Of the side effects that people experience, some of the more common ones are:
- Changes in mood
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in weight
A study conducted in 2017 found that CBD is a relatively safe and natural form of treatment that comes with mild side effects. If, however, you are on prescription medication that comes with a “grapefruit warning,” then you should consult with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you can safely incorporate CBD into your daily regimen. Typically, when prescription medications have a grapefruit warning on them, grapefruit, grapefruit juice, or other citrus fruits can’t be ingested along with the medication because they cause the body to ineffectively metabolize the medication. When this happens, too much medication enters the bloodstream, and the liver is greatly taxed, thus creating a potentially dangerous overdose scenario. If you’re on medications with a “grapefruit warning,” be advised that CBD acts in the same manner that grapefruits, grapefruit juice, and other citrus fruits do. Therefore, you should consult with your doctor before using CBD while on medications with a “grapefruit warning.”
What to Look for When Buying CBD Oil for Sleep
When buying CBD oil for sleep, there are a few things that you should be looking for. First, you should always take the time to deeply research both the brand and the product that you’re interested in. Some things that you should be looking for when buying CBD oil for sleep and insomnia are:
- Brand reputation
- Independent third-party lab reports
- Whether or not those lab reports are easy for customers to find on the brand’s website
- Verified Customer reviews
- Articles and other publications written by respected CBD journalists and industry experts
In looking at all of these factors, you will be able to determine the quality of the brand’s CBD oil, whether or not the brand believes in transparency, and how strong the brand’s reputation is among both the CBD industry as well as its customers. Remember, not all CBD oils and brands are created equal. Sadly, there are a host of brands out on the market that use inferior ingredients in order to sell CBD oils that are laden with pesticides, herbicides, solvents, and other harmful chemicals. It pays to take the time to do some research before jumping on the first brand and product you find online.
•Can CBD Oil Help With Insomnia?
The short answer is that yes, CBD oil can help with insomnia. CBD oil works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help bring the body back into a state of balance. In doing this, pain is alleviated and anxiety is calmed so that the body can better relax and focus on sleep.
•Is CBD Oil Safe to Use?
CBD oil has very few side effects associated with it. The most common, mild side effects linked to CBD oil are nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, changes in mood, changes in appetite, and changes in weight. If, however, you are on medication with a “grapefruit warning,” then you should consult with your primary care doctor or healthcare specialist before taking CBD. Like grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and other citrus fruits, CBD can interfere with the way the body metabolizes medication.
•Is CBD Oil Legal?
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD products derived from hemp are legal to sell and purchase across the United States. These products must also contain 0.3% or less THC. You should, however, also read your state’s laws and regulations when it comes to CBD products, as these may differ from the federal laws.
•How Much CBD Oil Should I Take?
Everyone’s body is different, so there is no one set dose of CBD oil that will work best for everyone. How much CBD oil you should take will be determined by your body weight, your body’s chemical makeup, and the health issue you’re trying to treat. The best rule of thumb when it comes to taking CBD oil is to start low and increase slowly. Stay with a low dose once a day for about a week before checking in with yourself to see how you feel. If you feel that you need to increase your dose, then start taking CBD oil twice a day for about a week before checking in again. Continue with this method until you’ve found the best dosage for your overall needs.
•How Long Does CBD Oil Take To Be Effective for A Good
Patience and consistency are key when it comes to using CBD oil for sleep and insomnia. Some people who regularly take CBD oil for sleep say that it took about a month before they felt any noticeable effects. Moreover, it also helps the CBD to be more effective when it’s taken at the same time(s) during the day.
•Will CBD Oil Show Up on A Drug Test?
If you are subjected to regular drug tests at work, then you might want to opt for either broad-spectrum oils or CBD isolate oils. Even though full-spectrum oils contain 0.3% or less THC, they can still cause a positive drug test. Therefore, you should proceed with caution if you have to take regular drug screenings.
Bottom Line: Should You Use CBD Oil for Sleep?
If you’ve been dealing with troubling sleep issues or constant insomnia, then CBD oil can be a great way to help tackle those conditions. Countless scientific studies point to CBD oil’s effectiveness at alleviating chronic pain, anxiety, depression, and other difficult health conditions so that the body and brain can relax and focus better on sleep.
Patience and consistency are of utmost importance when you begin taking CBD oil for sleep and insomnia. It can take about a month to feel any noticeable effects, and the oil is most effective when taken at the same time(s) each day. Before adding CBD oil into your health and wellness routine, you should check with your primary care physician or healthcare specialist to see if it will interact with any prescription medications you’re currently taking. Likewise, your doctor can also answer any questions and address any concerns you might have.
Not all CBD brands and oils are created equal. In researching our best CBD oils brands for sleep and insomnia, we spent a great deal of time and effort to find the very best brands for our customers. As we came up with our list of strict guidelines and criteria, it was no surprise that FAB CBD rose to the top. The brand consistently strives to bring its customers pure, potent, innovative products that help to advance all of their health and wellness goals. FAB CBD is also a staunch believer in transparency and making sure that customers have the very best experience. Our second pick, Populum, came in as a strong second place for many of the very same reasons.
If you’ve been struggling with sleep issues or insomnia, you might want to begin looking at natural alternatives, like CBD oil, to help you get a more restful and restorative sleep. When you rest well at night and have restorative sleep, your body and brain can properly repair and regenerate so that you can have better mental focus, have a stronger immune system, function better during the day, be in a better mood, and just be a healthier person all around.