Mi Cocina is known for many things: its authentic Tex-Mex food, its cravable chips and salsa, its warm, upscale family atmosphere and the memories so many Dallasites have of meals with friends and family.
And, oh yes, the Mambo Taxi. The famous frozen libation Mi Cocina concocted more than 20 years ago that is so much more than just a margarita – it’s a combination of Sauza Silver Tequila, lime juice and house-made sangria, all swirled to frozen perfection.
For those who’ve enjoyed them for years, and for those who haven’t had their first one yet, we’ve compiled the top 10 things you might not know about this hometown fave.
1. In 2018, Mi Cocina and sister restaurant Taco Diner served nearly 1.2 million (1,183,931 to be exact) Mambo Taxis combined. That’s a whole lot of margaritas – almost one for each of the 1.35 million residents within Dallas city limits!
2. The Mambo Taxi was voted Dallas’ Favorite Margarita in D Magazine’s Margarita Bracket Competition last year. Cue: We are the Champions.
3. In 2019, Mi Cocina developed the Frozen Skinny Margarita made with organic tequila and all-natural agave. Mambo lovers quickly caught on and created the Skinny Mambo to get the same great taste with (a little) less guilt.
4. There’s only one place in the world outside of DFW to get an authentic, genuine, original Mi Cocina Mambo Taxi. It’s not New York, Paris, Rome or London. It’s in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at the Mi Cocina at 1342 E. 15th Street.
5. You can get the Mambo Taxi to-go! Well, kind of. Mi Cocina has two food trucks that are available for events and include a frozen Mambo machine upon request. They are also offered as an add-on with MiCo catering.
6. Mi Cocina has immortalized the Mambo with the creation of a limited-edition Mambo Taxi ornament. Glass-blown, hand-painted and priced at $25 each, these unique ornaments are the perfect gift for any Mambo Taxi lover on your list. They’re only available at micocina.com, so hurry and order yours before they run out!
7. Dallas native and famed artist Gray Malin will feature the Mambo Taxi in an upcoming photography series release. (And that’s all we can tell you for now.)
8. There’s a saying at Mi Cocina about the famous drink: “With 1, you’re feeling good, with 2, you’re doing the Mambo and with 3, you need a taxi!” Enjoy responsibly, folks.
9. Actress and Highland Park native Angie Harmon introduced the Mambo Taxi (and the three-Mambo-maximum) to a national audience on Conan O’Brien’s show in 2014, bringing samples for Conan and guest Jeff Goldblum, who declared the cocktail “fantastic!” and “delicious.” (Read the D Magazine story and get a link to the video here.)
10. This year marks the Mambo Taxi’s 28th birthday. We’ll drink to that!
Check out Mi Cocina’s full menu here.