Being involved in a car wreck is traumatic no matter how minor. Sustaining injuries from a car wreck makes an already traumatic situation even worse. Considering that 20 to 50 million people are injured or disabled in car crashes per year, it’s always a good idea to know what you will do in case you are involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Should you decide to hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you in case related to the accident, it’s important to take the following steps for your case to have the best opportunity for a positive outcome.
- See your doctor as soon as possible, and follow his or her orders.
- Stay in touch with your doctor regularly to maintain appointments. If you must cancel an appointment, notify your doctor as soon as possible. The words “no show” on a doctor’s record sheet can be used against you at the time of a settlement or trial.
- Should your doctor prescribe physical therapy, be sure to attend each one as prescribed to facilitate recovery from your injury and participate actively in the process. Physical therapy is helpful in many types of injuries including strains, sprains, and other soft-tissue injuries.
- Follow your doctor’s orders on medications, physical therapy, exercises, or limitations of activities. Failure to follow your doctor’s advice can be used against you when it’s time to settle or litigate your case.
- Keep accurate records of time missed from work due to your accident.
When you meet with your attorney, be as prepared as possible. Try to recall and write down as many facts as possible about what happened. Even minor facts can be important. Keep track of medical documents, including bills, diagnoses, and test results, and pictures and written statements from the scene of the accident.
When choosing a personal injury lawyer, remember that experience matters. You want an attorney with a reputable firm with extensive experience and a winning record in cases similar to yours. Trial and negotiation experience as well as an in-depth understanding of medical diagnoses and processes associated with personal injuries are important attributes of a good personal injury lawyer.
For more than two decades, the personal injury lawyers at Frenkel & Frenkel have represented clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries from automobile and trucking collisions. As experienced and tenacious personal injury trial lawyers who previously defended insurance companies, hospitals and doctors, Frenkel & Frenkel brings valuable insight to each case and understands the effect catastrophic injuries have on people’s lives. They thoroughly investigate each case to expose negligence and understand the full extent of damages.
Experienced accident lawyers in Dallas prepare every case for trial, bringing in specialists such as accident reconstructionists, audiovisual professionals, engineers, medical experts, and economists to strengthen cases. Frenkel & Frenkel has an attorney who is also a medical doctor to help explain complex medical records to the courts and juries. Each relationship begins with a free consultation with an attorney. All cases are handled on a contingency basis. Clients do not pay attorney fees until Frenkel & Frenkel obtains compensation on their claims—whether through settlement or a verdict at trial.