It’s a party to die for—if you’re the victim, that is. And for those left in the land of the living, a Murder Mystery Party will challenge you and your friends don his or her gumshoes and figure out whodunit. With the hit broadway play, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, coming to Dallas, we’ve come up with the perfect tips for hosting your own murder mystery party. Here are a few hints to help you plan a killer party from crime to verdict:
Just becausernsomebody hasrnto “die” doesn’trnmean this isn’trna party.
Get organized. Local theater companies like Murder Mystery Co. and Keith and Margo’s Murder Mystery will bring the investigation to you, whether you’re looking to host at home or an event space.
- Select a theme. The possibilities are endless—‘80s soap opera. 1920s gangsters. Maybe even something to do with “Game of Thrones” or “The Bachelor?”
- Curate a guest list. This step is key to a successful murder mystery party—because there’s nothing worse than a no-show murderer. Attendees should know ahead of time the name and key facts about their alter ego is so they can get into character.
- Get a costume. As the host of the event, you’ve got to bring your a-game. Dallas Vintage Shop is the place to go, regardless of theme. The tightly packed racks and uber helpful staff will help you perfectly execute your thematic vision.
- Set the scene. Take a note from the ‘80s cult classic “Clue.” Did the murder happen in the dining room with the candlestick? Or maybe in the study with the wrench? Decorations, plus creating the scene of the crime, will add to the macabre ambience.
- Fuel the fire. Solving a murder is exhausting. Drinks and light bites (crime rib, anybody?) will keep your guests going until the end of the evening. Try reducing stress by picking up pre-made eats from The Festive Kitchen or working with a caterer, like The Joule, to create a thematic menu and cocktails that’ll wow guests and add to the macabre ambience.
- Have fun. Come on—just because somebody has to “die” doesn’t mean this isn’t a party.
THIS POST WAS CREATED BY D PARTNER STUDIO ON BEHALF OF A GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER, THE 2016 TONY AWARD WINNING BEST MUSICAL. GET TICKETS TO SEE THE SHOW AT THE WINSPEAR OPERA HOUSE FROM AUGUST 16-28 HERE.
Signup for D Exclusive
Get partner offers, discounts, and more delivered right to your inbox each week.