When it rains, it pours. That’s the phrase I kept repeating as a slew of engagements trickled their way onto my Instagram feed this spring. That phrase gives off a bit of a Debbie Downer vibe, but I really do love weddings. Pretty dresses, champagne, dancing, cake… what’s not to like? Though as much as I enjoy a good party, wedding season can take a bit of a financial toll on a girl.
Generally, I’ll use any excuse to use Rent the Runway, but with so many weddings on the horizon, it sometimes make more sense to just buy a really great dress. And by great, I mean versatile. It’s kind of like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants except that it’s just you that travels and pants probably aren’t allowed. You get the point though: this magical dress has a lot to accomplish.
In an ideal world, everyone would have the same tastes as me, but life doesn’t work that way (some people still wear madras plaid), so tried to find a few great dresses that, when paired with the perfect accessory, can easily transition from beach to barn and beyond.
Halston Heritage, $595
Alice + Olivia, $698
- Alexis Bittar Crystal Dusted Dewdrop Earrings, $150 at Neiman Marcus
- Kate Spade Point-Toe Pump, $298 at Cusp
- Diane Von Furstenberg Lizard-Embossed Envelope Clutch, $218
- Lakota Cuff, $250 at The Gypsy Wagon
- Free People’s ‘Oliviera’ Gladiator Sandal, $68 at Nordstrom
- Mar y Sol’s “Giselle” Woven Clutch, $105 at Nordstrom