From Fall Winter 2013
Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Pumpkin Seeds
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes | Serves six
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 bunch of green onions (about 7 or 8 stalks), chopped
Half a Serrano chile, chopped
¼ tsp. sea salt
2 1/2 lb. butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾-inch chunks)
6 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. fresh ginger juice, pressed from grated ginger
¼ c. roasted pumpkin seeds and yogurt
- Melt butter in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, green onion, Serrano chile, and salt. Cook vegetables until they’re soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and water.
Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until squash is tender throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and puree the vegetables with a hand blender until smooth. (You can also blend in a blender and return to the pot if you do not have a hand blender. If you use a blender, fill only three-quarters full, as hot liquids expand when blended.) When smooth, add the ginger juice.
- Stir and add more salt to taste.
- Serve topped with roasted pumpkin seeds and yogurt.