1. The Cowboys continue their uphill battle in a preseason home game against Houston on Sept. 1. The regular season begins here against San Diego on the 9th and against the Giants on the 16th. Call 556-2500 for tickets.
Just 15 miles north of Waco, the town of West will celebrate “Westfest,” a celebration of Czechoslovakian food, culture, and dance, Sept. 1 & 2. Call (817) 826-3188 for more information.
Cool off this summer with “Aqua Days on the Mandalay.” Enjoy remote-control boat races, water skiing, and jet skiing exhibitions, as well as arts and crafts andentertainment along the canal. Sept. 1-3. Call 869-1232 for more information.
6. The Dallas Symphony Orchestra opens its classical season on the 6th with Albeniz’s “Iberia.” The SuperPops series begins on the 28th & 29th with Dizzy Gillespie. Call 954-1700 for tickets.
8. A new festival in Dallas, the Grassroots Multi-Arts Festival, brings together popular artists and craftspeople, as well as some of the best songwriters in Texas. Sept. 8 & 9 at Lee Park. Call 670-7773.
14. Montage ’90 will kick off on Sept. 14 with Sara Hickman and will continue through the 16th with lots of food, arts and crafts, and entertainment. For information and tickets call 369-0500.
15. The Fort Worth Symphony begins Its classical season this month on the 15th and 16th with “Symphonic Splendor.” The Pop Series opens on the 28th. Call (817) 921-2676 to reserve a seat.
The Dallas Art Dealers Association has put together a program called Gallery Night 1990 that will provide an opportunity to preview the fall shows of 15 local galleries. Sept. 15 from 5-9 p.m. Call 969-9410 for participating galleries and general information.
20. Most of the dance companies in Dallas-from folklorico to ballet to jazz-will participate in the Dallas Dance Festival, Sept. 20-23 in Artists Square; 8 p.m. each night. Call 953-1977 for more information.
21. The 30th Annual Les Femmes du Monde Benefit Fashion Sale takes place Sept. 21-23. A wide variety of “gently worn” clothes, gift items, accessories, etc., can be found. The 22nd is Half-Price Day and the 23rd is Clearance Day. Call 748-4908.
Six of the top players on the men’s tennis tour, including Ivan Lendl, wilt compete in the Texas Tennis Shoot-Out Invitational at the Four Seasons Resort and Club, Sept. 21-23. Call 528-8580 for ticket information.
22. Oak Cliff, celebrating its 100th anniversary, will host its 16th annual home tour on Sept. 22 & 23. There will also be an art and music festival at Kidd Springs Park. Call 948-6353 for information.
28. The favorite event of Dallasites young and old- The State Fair of Texas-opens its gates Sept. 28 and keeps going strong through Oct. 21. Get in line now so you don’t miss any of the action. Call 565-9931 for fair info.
30. The Dallas Children’s Theater will kick off its season with the world premiere musical of Snow White, Sept. 30-Oct. 14 at the El Centro College Theater. Call 978-0110 for tickets.