Today’s Tastemaker is for the gents (or for the ladies who love to keep their gents well-dressed). Co-owner of Pockets Menswear Andy Weil is responsible for dressing dapper Dallas men and discovering the latest trends and finds in menswear. But where does Andy go for fashion inspiration? (Hint hint: Europe.) He recently opened the new Pockets space in the Plaza at Preston Center with fellow owner Doug Duckworth. (The men have a combined experience of 46 years at Pockets!) Read on to find out what inspires Andy.
1. We have spent a lot of time in Madrid. One of my favorite cities and very underrated. I love all the museums, especially the Reina Sofia. Fantastic modern art collection.
2. Restaurante 100 Maneiras in Bairo Alto in Lisbon, Portugal. Carla and I had the most amazing and creative food and wine there. It was 10 courses of small plates with the perfect wine pairing for each one. Every course better and more creative than the last.
3. I can’t live without my Mizuno running shoes. Running is a great way for me to sort my thoughts and relax. Love them!
4. My go-to outfit: My Boglioli washed wool sport coat. One of my favorite brands, effortless style. It is the perfect combination of jacket and sport coat. I take it everywhere.
5. If in Madrid, one must stop at Ten Con Ten in the Salamanca neighborhood of Madrid and have their Gin y tonica (make sure and use Fever Tree tonic). They don’t pour a drink, they create it.
6. Caran d’Ache pen. Proof that something great doesn’t need to be expensive. Simple, balanced and great colors. A fun little accessory every man should own!
7. My wife, best friend and partner in crime, Carla. We both love design and style, one of our favorite past times. She both challenges and inspires me in my life.
8. Travel. There is nothing better to open the eyes to design, style, and culture. Carla and I do so every chance we get. We always love to go somewhere new. We love the variation in architecture, people and foods. Top vacation spot for inspiration: Spain and Italy
9. Cooking. I love to cook. It is such a great way to relax and have fun. And since I love food, an added bonus. We love to try new dishes.
10. Michael Malone Architects. He did an incredible job creating a modern but relaxed environment for the new Pockets Menswear store in the Plaza at Preston Center. It is a perfect reflection of our point of view on clothing; embracing an emphasis on details and design, sophisticated yet comfortable.