Thirty years ago Michael Wilkov landed in Dallas from his native South Africa. His mission: Bring modern design to Texas. He opened Cantoni’s flagship store in Dallas in 1984 and has since expanded to five markets with hundreds of employees. Cantoni’s latest features include a sleep studio, outdoor furnishings and accessories, office furnishings, and flooring areas. Our readers have always been big fans of Wilkov’s style–even naming the store as the Best of Big D reader’s choice winner in the modern furniture category. So, we had to ask: What is inspiring him right now and what can he not live without? Jump for his picks:
1. Hermes Voyager cologne: It’s my new favorite scent.
2. Macallan 18 Single Malt Whiskey served neat: There’s nothing quite like it.
3. Montblanc pen: My wife gave me one when I opened my first store. I’ve since collected them and always have one on hand.
4. Bold accents for fall: We’ve just introduced the LOV swivel chair in a variety of bright colors. It’s a fun statement piece that’s exclusive to our stores nationwide.
5. The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge designed by Calatrava: The best addition to our city’s skyline.
6. Mixed materials and reclaimed wood: I discovered the most incredible parota wood and glass bar table on a recent buying trip. It’s the kind of unique piece we’re thrilled to bring to Dallas.
7. Urbano Cafe: It is one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas. It’s truly a hidden gem and the pasta is incredible.
8. Crisp white or black Armani shirt: Classic, chic and simple. It’s part of my daily uniform.
9. The Annette Strauss Square: It’s an amazing outdoor venue. I saw the Gipsy Kings perform there over the summer and it was a truly unique experience.
10. Salone del Mobile: I look forward to my buying trips each Spring in Milan. The creativity and innovation of the global design community never ceases to amaze me.
11. Prestonwood Country Club: I love my golf. The Club’s Creek Course is great for a round of 18 holes where you’ll often find me with my friends on Sundays.