When it comes to knowing exactly what people (and by people, I mean me) want to own, Brian Bolke is Dallas’ resident savant. The retail mastermind susses out the most compelling, unique, and just plain lovely clothes and lifestyle goods for his wildly chic shops Forty Five Ten and its Highland Park Village little sister, Five and Ten.
For his latest concept, he’s partnering with juice mixmaster Dana Card to open Number One/Le Jus, a boutique-cum-organic restaurant/juice bar also in Highland Park Village. And, well, if his previous ventures are any indication, I’ll need to freeze my credit card in a block of ice before opening day.
We checked in with this aesthetic dynamo to see what’s inspiring him of late. Herewith some of his favorite things.
- 1. Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio — This was my favorite car ever. I gave it up in the early 90’s, and I regret it to this day.
- 2. Anything Hermes — An orange box always fits.
- 3. Jeans and T-shirts — My uniform. But they have to be right.
- 4. The color green — It is absolutely my obsession this season. From shoes to bags to sweaters. And Le Jus juice!
- 5. Bassett Hounds — I grew up with them, and they always make me smile. But they do smell a little.
- 6. The Crosby Street Hotel in New York — If I had to live in a hotel, this is it. I love the eccentric English-ness of it all.
- 7. Margaritas, straight up, in a martini glass — I find it to be a drink that no bartender can mess up. Best with Patron Silver. And salt, of course.
- 8. Double Double from In-n-Out — Growing up in Los Angeles, this was a Sunday treat…if we were ‘good.”
- 9. Common Projects “Achilles Low” white tennis shoes — I wear them every day, everywhere. I love how generic they are. But people who know, know.
- 10. L’Hotel in Paris — I have stayed here literally 25 times, and I adore it. Every room is different, the neighborhood is perfect, and the bar is divine.