Update: The two federal drive-thru testing sites will remain open until June 30 as FEMA monitors the infection rate in Dallas County.
Dallas-area Congress members Eddie Bernice Johnson and Colin Allred have sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Federal Emergency Management Agency requesting that the government keep running its two Dallas COVID-19 testing sites, which were set to stop testing on May 30.
This week, Dallas County tied its high for number of daily cases at 253, which was first set May 5. Over the past seven days, Dallas County has set a record for the weekly average of new cases as the daily totals hovered around 250. Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins says he is also looking for a way to extend the agreement for the testing sites.
“The test kits and lab services provided at the two CBTS are key resources for the Dallas community,” said Johnson and Allred via release. Earlier this year, Allred and Johnson requested more testing, which was doubled in April.
“North Texas cannot afford to lose federal support at this time, which is why we are respectfully requesting that FEMA and HHS continue their federal support of the two CBTS locations in Dallas,” Johnson and Allred said via release.
See the full letter here.