If you’ve been to a Dallas Mavericks game, it’s hard to miss the Mavs dancers. From Texas-sized hair to smiling faces, they command the entire arena. It’s undeniable they are in tremendous shape, which inevitably means they are hitting it hard in the gym. We couldn’t help but wonder what’s in their gym bags, so we asked six-year veteran Lauren Gibler.
Gibler’s first year on the team, which was the same as the Mavs’ National Championship win, was one she’ll never forget. “First of all, it was my rookie season dancing with the Mavs,” she said. “That, alone, was amazing. But to also be a part of the first Dallas Mavericks Championship was the most memorable experience ever.”
Although Gibler recently hung up her dancing shoes, she’s still dominating the gym and says her go-to workout is a 45-minute walk on an inclined treadmill. “It helps target your backside and is definitely not as easy as it sounds,” Gibler says.
Now that we know one of her favorite workout tricks, let’s see what she takes along with her to the gym.
1. Workout Gloves. Although Gibler focuses a high amount of attention on cardio, she includes a hefty amount of strength training in her regime. Her favorite weighted exercise is a Bulgarian split squat with an overhead shoulder press. It works the entire body but also targets a few areas that are seen when she’s sporting her Mavs uniform.
2. Flowerbomb by Viktor&Rolf. When Gibler finishes a tough workout, she rolls on Flowerbomb, her favorite perfume. It’s always a good idea to have a smell-good on hand—in case you can’t hit the showers immediately post-gym.
3. Water Bottle. Gibler says this is the most essential item in her gym bag, as she drinks eight glasses of water a day to stay hydrated and refreshed in between all her workout sessions. She snagged her favorite Mavs water bottle at The Hangar, a storefront at the American Airlines Center for all things Mavs. (Her makeup bag is also from here.)
4. Lacrosse Ball. Perhaps this is the last thing you’d expect to find inside a Mavs dancer’s bag, but Gibler says it’s a must as she uses it to roll out knots in her back and shoulders. It’s similar to foam rolling but is ideal for targeting specific, smaller areas. It feels like a deep-tissue massage, she says.
5. Championship Ring. Gibler’s rookie year with the team coincided with the Mavs 2011 championship, the first in the franchise’s history.
6. Compression Socks. In between workouts, Gibler likes to slip on her favorite pair of compression socks (also picked up from The Hangar). Compression socks are intended to increase oxygen delivery, prevent cramps, and minimize muscle fatigue. With the countless hours Gibler spends throughout the week exercising and dancing, these compression socks help her with relaxation and recovery.