Apparently Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden broke his elbow over Memorial Day weekend while trying to save his brand new iPhone S. We might all go to such lengths. I hope Zeke Elliott sent him some Tiff’s Treats. If that’s not enough to make him feel better, perhaps the fact that he’s not the first Dallas athlete to suffer a bizarre injury off the field will help ease the pain.
1) Hall of Fame pitcher, rancher, and former Texas Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan was bitten on his left hand when he reached into a dog pen holding three coyotes.
2) While running up the stairs, Derek Holland’s boxer, Wrigley, clipped the Texas Ranger, causing Holland to fall and injure his left knee so badly that he needed arthroscopic surgery.
3) His Rangers day may have been long over, but Jose Canseco shot off his own finger while cleaning his gun. Best quote: “You know, it’s funny, I didn’t realize I had shot my own finger off. I just put my gun back on the table and looked to see where the bullet went because I was behind this huge desk. And all of a sudden I see my hand, blood spurting out. I said, ‘What the f—? Oh my god, I shot my finger off.’ ”
4) Elvis Andrus had to miss a spring training game because of muscle soreness after a tattoo. The 9-hour ordeal was a tribute to his late father, Emilio, who died of cancer when Andrus was 7.
5) Cowboys offensive tackle Jim Cooper broke his right fibula on the dance floor at Confetti, a nightclub once described by D Magazine as an upscale meat market: “No more barely legal boppers. Now sleekly redesigned for the young office crowd, the club still throws a good party.” With confetti, obviously. Which Cooper slipped on in his fly 1984 loafers.