This week’s EarBurner guest is chef Brian Luscher of the Grape and Luscher’s Red Hots. At the Old Monk on Thursday he talked about his Deep Ellum hot dog joint (which also boasts one of the 20 best burgers in Dallas) and why the city’s business-friendliness doesn’t necessarily extend to small-scale operators. There’s also Chicago-accented talk of Joey Gallo’s recent heroics for the Texas Rangers and the end of the 5-cent bag fee.
Now to some corrections and notes to help you better enjoy the listening experience:
1. Here’s video of Fox Sports Southwest reporter Emily Jones — not Dallas Morning News criminal justice reporter Jennifer Emily — getting doused with Powerade after Sunday’s Texas Rangers game while interviewing Josh Hamilton:
Her dress was ruined:
— Emily Jones (@EmilyJonesMcCoy) June 1, 2015
Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus cut her a check by way of apology:
— Emily Jones (@EmilyJonesMcCoy) June 2, 2015
2. Dallas City Councilman Dwaine Caraway was rushed to the hospital in April with chest pains that he chalked up to stress and exhaustion. Doctors ruled out a heart attack.
3. On Wednesday the Dallas City Council voted 9-6 against an all-out ban of plastic carryout bags and then 10-4 in favor of repealing the 5-cent fee retailers have been required to charge customers for each bag. The fee had generated $552,300 in revenue for the city in just the first three months since the fee ordinance went into effect on January 1. It was plastic-bag manufacturers that had sued the city over the requirement.
4. Angry Dog has been in Deep Ellum nearly 25 years. Yes, 1990 was 25 years ago. We’re old.
6. And finally, ladies and gentlemen, Rush does Dallas:
Now, you know the drill: check out the episode in the player below, or via iTunes or Stitcher or your favorite podcatcher.