Terrell State Rep Doesn’t Like All Those Vowels Asians Use In Their Names

Two things you need to know about this story. One, that legislator Betty Brown really said, during discussion about the Voter ID bill, that Asians should just adopt names that are more Uhmerican:

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese – I understand it’s a rather difficult language – do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?”

Two, Trey Garrison found it first. And used a sweet pic of Long Duk Dong to illustrate it.

Comments

46 responses to “Terrell State Rep Doesn’t Like All Those Vowels Asians Use In Their Names”

1. Champ Kind says:

Trey found it before you did, but he didn’t find it first.

2. Long Memory says:

I remember when the DMN would have covered this story. ‘Member? They used to have actual reporters in Austin? Thank God for the Chronicle, although I understand that the guy who wrote this is the only person they have in their Capitol bureau.

But to the point: When people say stupid stuff like this, that’s when we need people reporting what they said.

3. Joel says:

The story I read following your link didn’t say what you said it said, Eric. Among other things, it said Asian Americans often DID use “Uhmerican”-ized names on some forms different from their real names they used on others:

Ko told the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting and other forms of identification because they may have a legal transliterated name and then a common English name that is used on their driver’s license on school registrations.

I read Rep. Brown’s interest as wanting them to consistently use whatever Americanized name they already WERE using on voting registration forms as well for the benefit of all involved in the process, the already Americanized-named Asian-Americans included.

Sort of like, to take a lesson from today’s Leading Off revelations, asking Lodowick Brodie Cobb Allison if he wouldn’t mind registering as Wick as well.

I like your version, though. It’s not as factual, but it’s more righteous.

4. Rep. Brown asked the representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans:

“Can’t you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?”

In relation to voter ID issues.

Suggesting Chinese Americans who are registered voters and citizens are not, in fact, citizens.

So I’m sorry Joel, that spin you’re trying doesn’t work.

5. Rawlins Gilliland says:

Legislator Betty Brown has long struggled with this issue after her many decades abroad in Nepal where she taught ‘English as a second language’ to inspired villagers.

6. Joel says:

Since it is you who are suggesting Rep. Brown is “Suggesting Chinese Americans who are registered voters and citizens are not, in fact, citizens”, Trey, show us the words she used which do so.

Again, I like the righteous feel-good buzzes I get from both your and Eric’s blog entries. You are both excellent in that regard. It’s always important to have those capable of feeling the news truthily at us. I just enjoy them separately from the journalistic facts of the situation reported elsewhere.

7. “if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?”

8. Eric Celeste says:

Of course, Trey and Long Memory, as I’m sure you’re aware, the really spectacular part of this is not that she said Asians should have names that are easier to pronounce. It’s that she said that’s a better alternative than polling place workers learning to speak Chinese. I mean, it’s too awesome.

9. Long Memory says:

As long as Betty doesn’t say bad things about people with too many consonants in there names I won’t do much more than laugh at her bass-ackward Texas stupidity.

If only she had asked the Asian lady: “Do you think y’all could learn to talk without accents to make things easier for Americans?”

10. Joel says:

Trey, according to Ko, already quoted above, Asian-Americans already DO provide an Anglicized nickname easier for “Americans” (i.e., for Anglicized ears) to deal with (or maybe they all just liked the Brady Bunch, like Piyush “Bobby” Jindall), something they chose to do, on their own, for precisely the reasons you inflate yourself with high dudgeon. If not, why would they not just use their full, legal transliterated name exclusively all the time, on all forms?

Trey, instead of just passively carrying Democratic Party political water and criticizing Brown, perhaps you want to scold the Asian-Americans themselves that they are selling out their true heritages by adopting Anglicized nicknames. But that wouldn’t be such a cheap and easy sell, would it.

Brown is simply asking that such Anglicized nicknames, already in use for the ease of Anglicized ears, be used on voting registration forms as well.

She didn’t say it’s better than polling employees learning to speak Chinese; she said it’s better than them learning Chinese.

Admittedly, learning Chinese would be a daunting task. Luckily, “them and their citizens” (whose citizens? are we letting Chinese citizens vote? I’m confused) have names that are already transliterated into standard American phonetics. The kind that should be easy for people from Tyler to deal with.

12. My cover as a Democrat operative has been blown.

13. amanda says:

@ Trey- you’re nothing more than a mouthpiece. BTW, can you swing by, I’ve got a bucket of water I need you tote. Can’t tell, but it looks Republican.

14. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Man, if she thought the nail techs were talking about her before…

For the record, I don’t think people with funny names should be allowed to vote. All that feel-good let’s-get-counseling-for-the-terrorists talk that you hear all day in the Drive-By Media just goes to show that liberalism is a mental disorder. Freedom isn’t free!

16. DG says:

So, Joel, you define “Americans” as having “Anglicized ears”? Shouldn’t “Americans” be anyone who is a citizen? Like the Asians who are trying to vote?

I don’t think you are familiar with all of the complication that can happen during the immigration process which can lead to documents being confused. Trying to untangle that kind of paperwork nightmare because some clerk in the DMV or at a school used a nickname instead of their formal name, or got the order of the names incorrect, should not be a prerequisite to being able to vote.

The issue here is Rep. Brown being totally insensitive to other cultures and the complicated circumstances immigrants can find themselves in. Good thing the Repubs are trying to court those new votes instead of pushing them away!

17. RayRayRay says:

Trey: I was enjoying reading this back-and-forth debate between you and Joel until, apparently, you ran out of arguments and had to resort to comedy.

He has backed, so I believe it’s your turn to forth.

18. Long Memory says:

Vito Andolini.

19. Dorothy Mantooth says:

I have some of them water pills if you want one, Trey. They’ll make ya pee that Democrat water right outta ya.

Ok, let’s say Betty Brown is right. Well, I submit she’ll need to change her name to make it easier for those of recent Asian decent to pronounce. Betty Blahown?

21. Jeremy Goodwin: I’m a racist.
    Isaac: Really?
    Jeremy Goodwin: Yeah! I’m a terrible racist. But I’ve been in the closet all these years and I’ve decided I need to live an honest life. And I think all those people with the different skin colors and the funny accents should go back where they came from and leave America to the white people who killed the Indians in the first place, which they deserved.
    Isaac: Jeremy…
    Jeremy Goodwin: The whole country’s being taken over by the blacks and the Jews.
    Isaac: You’re Jewish!
    Jeremy Goodwin: Well, I’ve gotta be stopped, Isaac!

–From the Greatest TV show ever made, “Sports Night”

22. caj says:

Trey quoted. Joel spun. IJS.

23. Joel says:

Trey’s standby final volley is that he cannot reason his opponent out of a position the opponent never arrived at through reason, so since he’s a busy man, I’ll just volley myself with his slam-dunk bromide on his behalf and we all can move on to the sort of whimsical snark more appropriate here.

24. Don in Austin says:

@bethany
    High. Five. Well prayed.

Fank you. Fank you belly mousch.

26. Lodowick Brodie Cobb Allison says:

That kind of racism won’t be tolerated here.

Sorry, Wodowick Bwodie Cawb Awison.

28. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Shouldn’t that be “sowwy”?

*sigh*

I make a horrible Asian.

30. Unreal says:

Let’s not forget that this intellectual heavyweight also revealed that she thought China was a democratic nation.

I wonder if she knew whether Africa was a continent

31. Lodowick Brodie Cobb Allison says:

I would delete you all if I could remember what I did with my good pair of 24-karat gold eyeglasses.

Maybe they’re at the other home… You kids be good while I helicopter over to check.

32. JS says:

Bethany, is that anything like a Cosmo?

Yes, but with wum.

34. BradT says:

Betty Cook is the same moron who thought China was a democratic nation. It’s a shame that this is the level of intelligence we have in Austin but it’s certainly not unusual. Maybe Joel should join them.

35. N says:

We no rike you white peepur eedur.

36. “That’s all you got, lady. Two wrong feet and f’ing ugly shoes”.

37. brett says:

keep austin weird…and apparently racist.

38. You’re all over-reacting.

Everybody’s a riddle bit lacist.

39. JS says:

I agree with JVJ — kick back, have a Cactus Juice and an Earl Campbell hot link, and relax.

40. Drew says:

Never really liked the name “Betty” all that much. Sounds like a crusty old woman, narrow-minded, more than a bit racist, completely unaware of the rest of the world outside. Oh, wait…

41. Drew says:

Maybe all registered Asian voters should change their names to Betty Brown.

Problem solved!

42. publicnewssense says:

Geez, the woman makes a plea for simple understanding and is excoriated. Changing one’s name is a tradition in this country, right P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, Puffy? Marion Michael Morrison? Mickey Gubitosi? Billy Martin? Dutch Schultz? Biggie Smalls? Bushwick Bill? Marilyn Monroe? President Gerald Ford?
    For crying out loud, don’t make Lucy Liu change a thing!

43. Smokey Joe says:

She’s from Terrell, what do you expect?

44. Don in Austin says:

@brett
    Racist? Nah, I always drive the speed limit.
    BTW, Keep Austin Wierd is a slogan coined by local business to promote local business. Pretty much a good thing, IMO, espech if you’re weary of retail and food chains. I’m a fairly recent immigrant from Dallas, therefore decreasing wierdness in both cities I reckon.

45. WV says:

What about those darned Czech names? How in the world did they publish the phone directory in WestcommaTexas or Flatonia or Shiner? What’s on their driver’s licenses?

Did you know that Czechs fled their native country because of the Great Vowel Shortage of 1831? There were only a couple of E’s left, and no O’s at all, even for the oldest sons of the families.