Officer Robert Powell No Longer Officer Robert Powell

Because he’s resigned. His statement:

“With a heavy heart and great sadness, I resigned from the Dallas Police Department this morning. I made this decision in the hope that my resignation will allow the Dallas Police Department, my fellow officers, and the citizens of Dallas to better reflect on this experience, learn from the mistakes made, and move forward. I still hope to speak with the Moats family to personally express my deep regret, sympathy, and to apologize for my poor judgment and unprofessional conduct. I also want to apologize to my fellow officers. I have sincere respect and admiration for the men and women of the Dallas Police Department and the work they perform daily, and I wish them well.”

UPDATE: Just saw this, via Busted Coverage. It is allegedly a cache of the since-removed Xanga site of Robert Powell. A highlight (?):

The count downs begin:

18 days of work then the real work starts and I can shoot people

33 days then own apartment, with cable and high speed internet

So. This could have been a lot worse.

Comments

20 responses to “Officer Robert Powell No Longer Officer Robert Powell”

1. Jeff Duffey says:

He got a case of the big-head and it got in the way of his common sense. He probably knew he was going to get canned so he resigned before that could happen.

2. Grant says:

He admitted he was wrong, he made no excuse and issued an apology to all those affected. Admirable.

He can’t resign from ignominy.

It would be funny if everywhere he went for the rest of his life, people would throw eggs at his face. That would make him mad and sad!

4. Jb says:

He’s a kid. At 25 y.o. he probably did get a big head that got in his way of common sense. But he apologized and acknowledged he dishonored his profession and fell on his sword. Good for him. If the Moats’ are not pursuing anything further, then we shouldn’t either. We and the media should all leave him alone after today.

Actually, I agree. I was trying to ridicule the “feeding frenzy” mentality that has prevailed, particularly in the DMN comments section. Righteous outrage has quickly degenerated into the kind of ugliness Powell himself displayed. Well, who do we have to kick around now?

I’m quick to feel contempt for cops, and even I feel sorry for the guy by now. After all, he didn’t beat anyone, at least not during the incident at hand. What’s clear is that a lot of people have been treated by cops just at Powell treated Moats, and that’s the source of their anger.

6. amanda says:

Yeah, he’s a kid…with a GUN and authority. (or was *huge sigh*)

As this unravels, there will be more of Powell’s targets steppping forward and probably suing.

7. Steve says:

“So now I’m full, sworn in, POLICE!!! … I have bullets, OC spray, and 32 weeks of training.”

I always give cops the benefit of the doubt, mainly because I think it must be a terrible job. Still, this quote (and this case) confirms some suspicions I’ve always had about some guys who gravitate towards police work.

I’m glad that he’s just quitting and getting out of the way. And, yes, the media should just lay off the whole thing now.

8. Grammar Police says:

“Countdowns” should be one word, even though it’s not really a word.

9. untasered says:

“Heavy heart and great sadness”? Boo hoo. Not near as heavy a heart or as great a sadness as those of the family now grieving the death of their loved one–a death that Mr. Powell almost prevent them all from attending.

10. N. Hale says:

He didn’t ALMOST prevent them from attending. Two of them missed the woman’s death – her son-in-law (Moats), and her father both were detained until after she died.

Since when does an apology make any difference? This guy was no doubt asked to resign, and forced to apologize. I don’t care what he says, because the proof of his character is in the incident and the video of what happened.

That cop is a trigger-happy racist who has never had to experience anything like he put that family through that day. I don’t think he should be left alone – quite the opposite, in fact. The Dallas Police should use this incident as a wake-up call and answer for many more of the everyday abuses suffered by African Americans and the socioeconomically disadvantaged at the hands of law enforcement.

11. Triple Wildcat says:

Sure, some people are outraged because they’ve been treated badly by cops. But the ongoing tsunami of outrage by some is merely an excuse to forward their own race-related agendas.

I’m not going to say the Powell/Moats incident had nothing to do with race, but on the surface there is no indication that Moats’ race had anything to do with Powell’s actions that evening. Dallas Cowboy Zach Thomas’ wife was also treated harshly by Powell in an earlier incident. She’s not African American nor is she socioeconomically disadvantaged.

Powell may or may not be a racist, but from the two incidents that have come to light, as well as the comments on his Xanga site, it’s pretty clear his problem is that he was a cop on a power trip. He was looking to hassle anyone, regardless of race or wealth.

But hey, any old excuse to bang the race drum, right?

12. DGirl says:

Powell’s just dumb. At least someone convinced him to do the right thing and resign. He’s young and hopefully will be humbled by this and learn that he cannot ever treat people that way, whether he’s a police officer or a common citizen. You do not treat people that way. Mom and Dad Powell, if you’re reading . you’ve got some work to do.

13. Bill says:

Kids, this is why getting tattoos are always a bad, bad, bad idea:

Could you imagine waking up to see that in the mirror for the rest of your life?

14. In The Neighborhood says:

Yep. Ch33 News had that on Tuesday.

15. Amandax9362 says:

Ok what does the top band say on his tattoo? I can’t figure it out.

16. Chris Chris says:

That’s why my Xanga site always says, “2 more days of work then I can purchase a decanter of iced tea for some lovely young women that I might squire about town before dusk.”

17. Nikki says:

Good riddance. The men and women of the DPD comprise an admirable squad, and there is no room for jackasses like Powell.

18. Sandy says:

Triple Wildcat, on one of the sites that appears to be Powell’s, he said someone not speaking English was a valid basis for an arrest. I would say that reflects a bit of xenophobia, with racism nipping closely at its heels.