Leading Off (4/16/09)

1. The global economic crisis is finally seriously kicking Southwest Airlines in the jeans. It lost $91 million in the first quarter, its third quarterly loss in a row. All it has gained is a buyout package and wage/hiring freezes. It’s all relative, I guess: AMR Corp. (American’s parent) reported a loss of $375 million. Which is the long way of saying there are worse industries to be in than journalism right now.

2. So suddenly it’s okay for Gov. Rick Perry to speak passionately at tax day anti-spending rallies in Arlington and Fort Worth? The timing seems…odd. Or convenient. Maybe that’s the word I’m looking for.

3. Things that happened last night at the AAC: Dirk Nowtizki scored 30 points, extending his streak of games over 20 points to 25; Jason Kidd had a triple double; the Mavs won 50 games for the ninth straight time; and they clinched the sixth seed in the Western Conference playoffs and a first round date with their longtime archenemy, the San Antonio Spurs. The first game is Saturday at 7 p.m. I’m sure Bob Sturm (aka Sports Sturm, aka the Sturminator, aka Bobby Digital) will have something to say about all that over at the Corner. (UPDATE: He does.)

Comments

28 responses to “Leading Off (4/16/09)”

1. Zac Crain says:

OK, that one I made up. Or swiped from a solo album by The RZA.

2. JS says:

As I usually am one of the first to rail on the semi-lifeless form that passes himself off as “Jason Kidd,” I will be among the first (at least on FB) to say that he had a great game last night, although it did not start well given his 3 TOs in the first quarter. Let’s hope that “Jason Kidd” can hold Tony Parker below his average against the Mavs of 31.3 ppg, 7.3 apg, and 52 percent FG.

3. Tom says:

Those were anti-tax rallies? They looked more like re-election campaign stops. Or gatherings of Texas GOP delegates.

4. matt says:

I’ll echo broader sentiment and say that Perry is positioning himself as the man of the Right as a showdown with KBH looms. He will paint her as “Washington” while he is “Texas”.

5. Mike says:

I guess tolls are not considered taxes.

6. Drew says:

And Rick Perry’s actions have nothing, repeat nothing to do with the fact he is a Republican, correct?

Thanks for whipping all the secessionists into a frenzy again, Rick.

7. Big Tex says:

Southwest Airlines should hire Ann Margolin since they need to raise some revenue. She raised lots of revenue for Parkland Hospital while she served on their board — of course, she raised taxes to do it.

So a couple of teabaggers go into a bar. They’re Hispanic, and they’re brothers.

Met them last night. Nice guys, but looked and smelled like car salesman and somehow managed to steer the conversation toward the topic of abortion. However much I tried to wave the subject off with an air of munificent equanimity, they wouldn’t let it rest until, presumably, I denounced the practice with a bare-teethed fervor I was unprepared to muster. I felt the weight of their expectation — their demand — settle over me like a simile. People, it was uncomfortable. Thank the Lord for dirty jokes is all I have to say. (Sports is a good lifeline too, it would appear, but I’m ignorant thereof.)

Now, I’m guilty of occasionally talking politics in bars (generally seeking common ground) and, in the right company, I”ll discuss religion, but abortion?

Other than that, nice guys.

9. ASG says:

An anti-tax rally…in Arlington? Really??? (now I feel like a real Fburneruvian) That grand bastion of fiscal responsibility that builds stadiums for billionaires.

10. Neither party says:

After many citizens gathered yesterday in a grassroots manner, all you have is Perry criticism? Do you portend to be journalists? Even if you disagree with the motivation, yesterday was incredible. We the people don’t need NBC, the nyt or any nitwits in DC to acknowledge yesterday. Perry is a politician,you are surprised he is a shapeshifter?

The Hispanic Teabagging Bros. estimated the crowd at City Hall (?–I think; it was a downtown bar) to be at least 5,000 [italics in original].

Corroborate or dispute, anyone?

12. Zac Crain says:

Three things:

1) I understand the motivation and don’t (necessarily) disagree. I didn’t participate, and wouldn’t have, but if that’s your cup of tea (nailed it!), have at it.

2) From a local/Texas point of view, yes, I think Perry’s presence, and his words, are one of the major stories from yesterday. He took a grassroots event (as you said) and turned it into a de facto campaign stop.

3) If you don’t need the acknowledgment, don’t gripe when you don’t get it. But if you need it, I think we can probably rustle up some participation ribbons. Blue okay?

13. Louise says:

Neither party – you are talking about an even that was trumpted far and wide by Faux news. You can’t really liken that to citizens gathered in a grassroots manner.

14. John says:

@ Louise:

Yeah, once I noticed Pete Delkus was reporting on the weather night after night I wised up and realized he was behind it.

15. Obama's Seat says:

@ Louise

The events were featured on the net, radio, etc as well, it wasn’t just FOX.

Can anyone here recall an actual “grassroots” series of events, so I know what one looks like?

16. Eastside says:

What about the awesome Rangers win?

17. NeitherParty says:

OK Zac,
    You decide….you guys want to whine about being portrayed as below the DMN (numerous stories about how your stories are treated differently)….so call a spade a spade. If you think yesterday was about Perry, you need to catch a clue. That is akin to reporting about the popcorn prices at the Ford Theatre the day that President Lincoln was shot. Take your whacks at Perry….but if you are going to be an ‘observer’ on things going on locally (not to mention nationally), you just showed me that because its not your cup of tea….it didn’t happen.
    On second thought, if you are man enough to give it the acknowledgement….I’ll take it. But I shouldn’t have to point out that there is a nose on your face either.

18. Zac Crain says:

WAY TO GO, TEA PARTY GUYS.

Happy?

19. NeitherParty says:

@Louise…yes I can. A few weeks ago there were ‘protests’ over the bank bailout that ended up being all union members. That is a trumped up movement, what occured yesterday was real.
    I file your Fox hatred away with Haliburton,Cheney, W, and all other things that like to torture defenseless kittens.
    Protests have become like boosoms….there have been so many fake ones that apparently many of you can’t tell when you see a real one.

20. NeitherParty says:

Zac,
    That may be some of your finest work…I know its hard to get fired up about something outside of the field of arts and entertainment.

21. Zac Crain says:

@NeitherParty: I guess I have a hard time figuring out specifically what you want. Did you want me to link to a bunch of photos and coverage of the Tea Party? Okay, I guess I see that. Maybe I should have.

Or did you want me to agree with what yesterday was about, and breathlessly carry on about the bravery and gumption of its participants? I don’t know how that’s possible since, based on everything I’ve seen and read about it, it was kind of about one thing but it was diluted by the participants until it ended up being about 50 only tangentially related things.

Look, I wasn’t there. If you want me and other folks to be in your corner, describe the scene. Explain it. Paint me a picture.

22. WhiteRockEagle says:

Why don’t we just try this from another angle?

MAY 16, 2009

MR. BLUE: Hey Redd, did you watch the Mavs last night?
    MR. RED: Sure did. I still can’t believe we’re in the Western Conference finals.
    BLUE: You know, when the playoffs started, I didn’t give them a chance in heck.
    RED: Me neither. Back then, I thought the Tea Party movement would be in high gear by now instead of J. J. Barea (both men laugh).
    BLUE: Hey, you can’t complain. It gave you the day off from work, you got to be a secessionist-for-a-day and you got to meet some Tea Party Babes!
    RED: Yeah, whatever. Hey, what time do the Mavs play tomorrow night?

23. Zac Crain says:

I like where your head’s at, WRE.

24. WhiteRockEagle says:

Thank you, but I’d like to offer an apology. Yesterday, I implied that the Tea Party would have racist overtones from its participants. It was a foolish and wrong statement, and all the comments I’ve heard from people that attended stated that was never an issue. Very much my bad.

25. Scout0820 says:

Seriously,
    How long can this guy be governor? When do we just name him “dictator for life” or “El Presidente”?
    What would he like to accomplish that he hasn’t gotten around to yet? And why does he deserve more itme?

26. NeitherParty says:

I dont’ think you would have to cover the event(s) with photo’s, links and anything extravagent….although that is how many events are covered (film festivals, etc).
    I just read your piece on Perry, and you made no mention of the event(s) themself. I believe that is burying the lead big time. I think the appropriate coverage would be to mention the event, and then go into the Perry diatribe.
    I don’t expect everyone to be in my frame of mind that the tea party isn’t just a one day wonder (and great fun with the double entendre of tea bag), but that it is indicative of a growing desire to slow down government expanse. I do expect to see mention of the event and that it wasn’t 5 guys looking to join a militia. I don’t think this was your intent, but not mentioning a bit more on the event slighted it.
    Does that make sense that you went straight to the Perry issue without mentioning the actual event itself? Did I miss that?
    I apologize if my tone is accusatory.