Leading Off (4/15/09)

1. There ain’t no party like a Dallas Tax Day Tea Party, ’cause a Dallas Tax Day Tea Party don’t stop. Feh, doesn’t quite have the ring of the Coolio original, but if you’re looking to get your protest on, head to City Hall at 5 p.m. When you see the Wylys, say hi.

2. Many SMU students yesterday missed classes so they could catch a glimpse of George W. Bush, Condoleezza Rice, and other Bush buddies who were having a meeting on the campus presumably to discuss plans for the presidential library. [insert joke about how he’s already making a negative impact on the school’s academic life]

3. You know what’s unfortunate? When you’re sitting in a coffee shop, doing actual job-related work, googling around to see if there’s a way you can freshen up yesterday’s news that Jessica Simpson’s label dropped her, and suddenly your computer screen is filled with very personal pictures of Simpson that were just posted on this Danish website. (Please be careful if you follow that link and you’re at work. In fact, you know what? Don’t even follow that link if you’re at your house. It’s gross. Also, if that site isn’t Danish, forgive me. I can’t look at it long enough to figure out exactly what strain of Nordic it really is.)

Comments

47 responses to “Leading Off (4/15/09)”

1. Davie Dave says:

#3 – It’s like sitting a great big cupcake in front of a 4 year old and telling them not to touch it… must resist.

2. 1Zima2Many says:

What are we talking about? Plain old nudity? Something worse? Help us out here.

3. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

#3 – Deadspin and WWTDD had that, like, eons ago … sheesh. Oh, and they’re kinda icky too. Definitely not what I was expecting.

4. nmlhats says:

I rolled over the link to see its URL (I ain’t about to look at it, eewwww) and it ends with .nl

That would be Netherlands…as in Dutch.

5. WhiteRockEagle says:

#1 – Saw the event calender for today’s Tea Party. I’m mystified, though. What time will the ceremonial lynching start? Will the Grand Wizard be making an appearance? Will robes be sold? I mean, it’s been almost three whole months since this new president took office, and there’s still a recession!! Time to take our country back.

And will there be a sign-up booth to educate and register people about the evils of convention center hotels? After all, if you hate tax-and-spend, you gotta hate great big hotels!

6. Chris says:

#3, I feel bad for her, it should be illegal that some d-bag pap is putting his camera up her skirt.

7. Commenter says:

Energy… among…. D staff…. is…. looooooow…..

8. James says:

Stand back at a safe distance, all.

Good. Now I’ll take the burden and responsibility of viewing Jessica Simpson’s firm, cellulite-free, slightly exposed buttocks cheeks entirely upon myself.

No, sorry, I’m just the byline. The rest of you are the real heroes.

9. amanda says:

#3Speaking as someone who changed her diaper, looks pretty accurate. Of course, that was 20± years ago.

Leave it to the Dutch to be that rude…

10. “I should do something very extroverted and vengeful to you. Honestly, I’m too tired. So, I think I’ll transfer you to the undergrowth department, brackens, more shrubs, that sort of thing… with a 19% cut in salary, backdated to the beginning of time.”

Tea parties, pirates, makes me hungry for a taste of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Bandits

11. Eric Celeste says:

Really, WTF? Are we moving that fast now that deadspin linking to something yesterday at 1:30 pm is “eons ago”? The speed of the Internet has now overtaken me.

Jessica Simpson’s not my cuppa, but what’s gross about the photos? Jeez, you guys are a squeamish lot.

13. Chris says:

@amanda, those pics were taken in LA.

14. MAP says:

There’s no way that’s her. She’s a heiffer and those pictures show a much firmer thigh and bottom.

15. Davie Dave says:

Stop talking about it!!!!! I am going to have to drive all the way home at lunch to take a peak.

16. Eric says:

@WRE – Funny how those who want to keep more than some of their earnings and subscribe to the idea of a limited government are equated with racists and KKK murderers. But then, name calling is the level of dialogue in the third grade.

17. WhiteRockEagle says:

@ Eric – “Limited government?” Would that include the last guy in the White House?

Hey, I don’t mean to infer the entire turnout will be made up of the aforementioned “racists and KKK murderers.” But to deny it’s an element, as well as the somewhat overall impression of sour grapes…

Maybe you’re right. Maybe it was better when the govt. let us keep more of our $$ and lit their stogies with the constitution.

Or hey, maybe I’m wrong and should just stick to looking at snaps of J-Simp’s bizness.

18. harvey lacey says:

So Mark Davis the great American is behind the tea party?

This is the same Mark Davis I presume that inspired me to do the only poestry I’ve done as an adult. I’ll be sixty one this year.

Back in 1993 dear children Mark Davis was a talking head on WBAP in the mornings. He was waxing his schtick against the liberals and screaming that we should also invade North Korea. Somalia wasn’t enough for Mark the brave American.

It came to me almost biblical, so much so that I did the biblical thing, I wrote it down and then called in to WBAP and got to spend about fifteen minutes live with Mark the brave one.

Mark Davis from his perch on high

Says, “sure American boys will have to die”

With the big pictue in mind

It’s easy to be so kind

When for your own you won’t have to cry

Mark has one daughter, five or six at the time as I recall. He’s real generous with everyone else’s kid’s lives.

He’s a real piece of work.

19. Glenn Campbell says:

#1 –> Coolio original? Try P-funk. Further proof that you have no soul.

20. Hey, I don’t mean to infer the entire turnout will be made up of the aforementioned “racists and KKK murderers.”

Revealing level of grammatical illiteracy, reflecting same in other areas of knowledge.

21. tea bagged says:

watch out for rougue tea baggers. one just came by our state office. left us a few. i guess to share? or maybe dip our govenmental documents in.

trey, have you been mobile this morning?

I think I can infer Trey’s implication. However, Trey’s “sentence” itself has no subject or verb.

23. RayRayRay says:

So should we assume then that you were going to make Leading Off post No. 3 about Jessica Simpson? Slow news day…

24. WhiteRockEagle says:

Agreed, Daniel. While it does save him the trouble of having to conjugate, it would seem to indicate his present is a bit tense.

25. bubba says:

Trey,
    Forgive me for being late to the party, but did you leave your full time position at the D Publishing empire?

26. Daniel, you have to earn verbs.

Trey,

I you a point there.

28. RayRayRay says:

Yeah, Daniel. There’s a recession on… Didn’t you know that?

29. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

@ Glenn C – In Tim’s defense, while Coolio take samples from various p-funk bands (most notably Lakeside and Tom Browne), I believe he was the first to work the “ain’t no party like a West Coast party” line into a song…

30. Lodowick Brodie Cobb Allison says:

Reagarding your third item, Mr. Rogers: Isn’t this what the Twitter and the Twatpic Twitpic are for?

31. paperboy says:

What if they gave a tea bagging party and nobody came?

32. Don't...Just Don't says:

Don’t worry, paperboy. Someone will come.

33. Richard says:

Mr. Rogers..
    NL is Netherlands where they speak Dutch.
    DK is Denmark where they speak Danish.

The Netherlands are not part of the Nodics.
    I guess you took your education at DISD or another district that has the minimum grade set to a passing grade 😉

34. Eric says:

@WRE
    “..his present is a bit tense.”

Now *that’s* funny.

35. NeitherParty says:

I am fluent in Austrian….does that help?
    And according to an above Mensa candidate I am a soon to be KKK member because I am hacked off about the size of the governement growing. I don’t give a crap whether it is W or the chosen one.
    I suppose it is easier to create a caricature than think. I am sure you were all over the protests that occured a few weeks ago that turned out to be union/Acorn members that were getting paid to create a protest. Come check it out in person Chief….real life average Americans.

36. paperboy says:

All these people that are “hacked off” about the growing size of government and scream about Obama’s “socialist” policies…I guess you will return your social security checks and refuse your medicare coverage, both government run (socialist).

37. bounce says:

No, paperboy. We’re the ones that are tired of watching an ever larger portion of our paycheck sucked out to support the “socialist” (your word) programs. And even if we did agree to them, we know that by the time we would actually be eligible to use them they will either be gone or so mismanaged that they’re worthless. Take your pick.

Post office, VA healthcare, FHA/FNMA/FHLMC, etc. Stop me when you get to a program/organization that the govt has under control…

38. Karla Faye Tucker says:

So, bounce, where were you for the last eight years? Where were the teabaggers during the last administration’s trashing of the economy and runaway debt?

39. JTrain says:

It is illegal to do upskirt pics in California. The pap may face charges.

Karla Faye,

They upskirt pictures of Jessica’s booty and classes to a glimpse of Bush, of course!

(sorry, you must a background check and dues to verbs)

bounce,
    ever larger than when?

42. bounce says:

No doubt that this is long overdue. I’m not anti-Obama, I’m anti-Big Government. The Republicans have been chided and booted for their misdeeds.

To make this a partisan issue is ridiculous, and typical. It also shows that it’s going to be on the every-man to champion this cause, because politicians (and apparently a good portion of the public) can’t look past the R- or D- in front of their names.

43. Towski says:

Typically the “R” or “D” comes after their name. I’m just saying.

44. bounce says:

True dat. Whoops!

bounce,

Point taken. But be more specific about this “ever larger portion of your paycheck.” Because, unless I’m missing something, Bush’s tax cuts haven’t expired yet. And when they do, the well-off will still pay lower taxes than imposed by St. Ronald. So why did’t they teabag him? What you mean, they did? Oh ….

46. Neither party says:

Ok Daniel, to suggest that your charitable contributions are no longer deductible shows me where we are going. Maybe Reagan is a saint because he followed doofus-in-chief Carter.

47. JC says:

#1 didn’t sound like Coolio or P-Funk. It was Michael Scott, Tim’s counter part on NBC’s hit comedy The Office.