What Not to Wear Hits Local Gal at Jack’s Backyard

Last night, the TLC show What Not to Wear ambushed a Dallas girl (and sometime FrontBurner comment maker) named Amanda Warr (nee Newman) at Jack’s Backyard. Kevin Minihan, who plays in the band Eastwood, was in the house. He sends a dispatch (including photos!) after the jump.

[Photo: Kevin Minihan gets a fashion consult mid-song from WNTW host Clinton Kelly.] I was surprised to see the lighting setup and camera guys everywhere when I showed for sound check at Jack’s Backyard (in the driving afternoon rain). I assumed that it would more commando attack style, but I guess it is not practical to rush 20 tons of lighting and cameras out right at the last minute. So when the target (local music advocate Amanda Newman-Warr) arrived, she was told that a BBC camera crew was in town shooting a travel piece on new Texas social hot spots.

The producers gave us the secret hand signal, and we called the charity organizer on stage. As she started to thank everyone for coming out, they slowly started walking Stacy and Clinton in from the back of the room, slowly approaching Amanda from behind. They came up right next to the stage and said that someone in the audience had been selected for the show. Amanda still had no clue. Then they called her name and pulled her up front. She was so shocked that she was literally shaking. They presented her with the $5,000 makeover opportunity, and she meekly said yes.

[Photo: Amanda Newman-Warr, center, with WNTW hosts Clinton Kelly and Stacy London.] That is when the fantasy stopped and TV production 101 began. A producer then instructed the crowd that they needed to shoot reaction shots. So the next 30 minutes was spent shooting shots of people, nodding in agreement (supposedly to something the host would be saying), cheering for Amanda to say yes to the offer (again, after the fact), and rehearsing for the stars to film their exit from the club. One of the coolest things was the producers improv decision to have us pound out some power chords on cue, as the female host (Stacy London) said the words “What Not to Wear.” We nailed that sequence in one take. Faces were melted and we were proud of ourselves. The producers really seemed to like our band and filmed our performance (before and after the reveal) for quite awhile. Of course, it may all end up on the cutting room floor, but it was a lot of fun. The best part was that Amanda Newman-Warr received a great gift after giving so much to the Dallas music community for the last few years.

The episode is going to be one of the first few in the coming seventh season and should air sometime around June.

Comments

21 responses to “What Not to Wear Hits Local Gal at Jack’s Backyard”

1. bill h says:

What a fun evening. Eastwood was on top of their game, which as always good to begin with. I love the addition of JD on keys and harp. (he’s also a frontburner commenter). I love the material from Everything’s Personal. You know, I’m not a big fan of covers, but I also love your cover of the Bands Night They Drove Old Dixie down, especially with Amanda up on stage.

I think the New York Crew got a good luck at one of the cool spots in our city. This was Best of Texas event,

a fundraiser for the Bridge. It was a great night, lots of good free food, three dollar margaritas and good music. Lots of donations for money and goods for the Homeless.

Amanda is a truly amazing lady. I hope she has a blast in NY, she deserves a treat.

2. Carrie Layne says:

YEAH, Amanda! The party rocked, and BestofTexas.com also recieved a ton of wishlist donations and money for the Bridge Homeless shelter. It was a great night, and thank you to everyone for coming and showing your support. Eastwood rocked the house…and Jack’s has one of the best margaritas I have ever had! We’ll be doing monthly charity events now, so stay tuned…

3. Amanda is a great person and had I known about this I would’ve been there with my own camcorder LOL.

4. Amanda W says:

faces were indeed melted…

Amanda is great – no matter what she wears! But I’m sure she’ll also enjoy the trip to N.Y.

Kudos also to the rest of the BOTXers. That was an extremely well-organized event.

6. I Don't Watch WNTW But My Wife Does says:

Amanda, should you need to fire back at Stacey at some point, you might inquire if she doesn’t find it a bit odd that she has skunk hair while simultaneously pimping for a hair coloring product.

7. j.d.w... says:

Jack’s Backyard rocks – another feather in Oak Cliff’s hat.

8. donw says:

My cheeks still hurt from grinning all nite…
    Yeah ‘Mander!!!!

(my favorite daughter-in-law)

9. carissa says:

WOW, that is so cool. Please be sure to let us know the exact airing schedule of her show.

Can Amanda do some guest blogging about her experience? I think an Austin writer did that a couple of years ago, its very entertaining to read.

10. Amanda W says:

@Carissa…Yes, I’m actually allowed to blog about the experience, I just won’t be able to post any photos. Its all very surreal for me still, so I haven’t said much today. But I’ll be sure to gab about it on the BoTX blog.

@DonW…I’m your ONLY daughter-in-law.

11. donw says:

@AmandaW…That I KNOW about….

12. Tina H says:

Funny, I remember Amanda critquing my wardrobe. How fitting this is.

13. A says:

They also ambushed a Dallas Derby girl at the roller derby bout Monday night in Grand Prairie. The production crew said the episode would air in June.

14. G.J. in G.C says:

Hey Brown Eye Girl! I guess I’ll be seeing you on tv soon. Congrats, I hope you are doing well. I was thinking about you and I found this. Isn’t life funny?

15. Valerie says:

Amanda is not a fashion victim, although I do question the Ugg boots on occasion. She and I have been shopping numerous times, and as a result, she has picked out some of my favorite outfits.

Amanda has a style all her own, and isn’t afraid to take chances although her choices may not be in line with what is considered trendy. That f’em attitude is what makes her more “fierce” than most of the designers on the scene today.

In an effort to support Amanda’s sense of individuality and style, I give you this:

16. Amanda W says:

LOL…thanks Val. I wish I still had those shoes…

17. Valerie says:

I wish those Pucci shoes would fit…

18. brian nesbitt says:

while i support amanda in her search for individuality i’m just thrilled that she can get some new duds out of this!

valerie, as for the boots, i’m with you! how’s life btw?

19. Valerie says:

Life is good, but for once, this isn’t about me. Keep on the Amanda topic, please. 🙂

20. Amanda W says:

Those Pucci shoes will always fit…pain is beauty, baby.

21. Not that I’m totally impressed, but this is more than I expected when I found a link on Digg telling that the info is quite decent. Thanks.