I promise I will sort this all out with a (semi-) comprehensive update Sunday or Monday. (Read: Tuesday, or never.) But I’ll go ahead and list what I saw tonight right now. I’m not nearly as over-served as last night, and yet, I doubt this will make any more sense.
- White Lies: from London, Eng-uh-lund, sort of dance-y; pretty good.
- Iran: boozy pop; bar band in the vein of Guided by Voices, though they end up in a slightly different location.
- Daniel Francis Doyle: looks like your company’s IT guy (but not our company’s IT guy). He played drums and a sampler (with his foot) and sang through a Madonna mike. Felt like I was spying on him in his bedroom.
- Magic Kids: from Memphis, third show ever. Trivia: have a Lou Christie cover band called the Loose Christies — and don’t play Christie’s only real hit, “Lightning Strikes.”
- Matthew and the Arrogant Sea: from here. Ish. Found them kind of “eh.”
- Immaculate Machine: liked them better when the young lady from the New Pornographers was still in the band.
- LA Riots: kind of a curveball for me. Sort of a hard house DJ. Enjoyed it for what it was, and still love his remixes.
- Hot Leg: new band from fella from the Darkness. Was wearing what appeared to be a tight studded leather jumpsuit. That pretty much describes the music as well.
- Bosque Brown: “She’s intense,” said some dude after. Agreed.
- Youth Group: Really good. I’m a sucker for their kind — big melodies extremely solidly played. Australian. But probably not the kind the Flight of the Conchords are scared of.
- Spinto Band: See above, but erase “Australian” and all the stuff after.
- Jack Oblivian: Bluesy punk or garage rock or something in that neighborhood. Solid.
- Waco Brothers: Their drummer disappeared and they were forced to play with someone who had never heard their songs. Jon Langford is one of the few who could make anything out of that.
Probably forgot a thing or two (oh, in the afternoon I saw Graham Coxon — from Blur — and Shearwater. Really good in kind of totally opposite ways). But I’m not going to rack my brain. Not with my couch bed and pillow right here.