Leading Off (3/12/09)

1. Don’t mess around with the folks over at Eagle’s View Church in Saginaw. Following the shooting death of a pastor in southern Illinois, they’re learning Krav Maga, a form of martial arts developed by the Israeli military. I prefer savate, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

2. Jim Schutze on the latest fly in the Trinity ointment: “Had Dallas Morning News editors ever once in more than a decade taken their greenest cub reporter and said, ‘Go find out what flood control experts say about this plan,’ the cub would have come back with my same story. It’s not a gray area.” That is a burn, and I doubt the DMN will take this lying down. I feel another Steve Blow column coming. Careful, Jim. He may compare you to Snuffleupagus this time.

3. The Mavericks came through with a big W in Portland last night. You can piece together all the action over here, as Eric Celeste helpfully live-blogged the proceedings. On a completely unrelated note: Gina Miller, you may want to contact an attorney. Or learn Krav Maga.

Comments

24 responses to “Leading Off (3/12/09)”

1. Obama's Seat says:

Unless Krav Maga teaches those cool bullet-dodging Keanu Reeves moves, it’s not gonna help.

2. my lost youth says:

Thanks. I have always wanted to know how to spell Snuffleupagus!

3. RayRay says:

When it comes to the Schutze vs. DMN saga, FrontBurner is that cheesy “Let’s get ready to rumble” announcer who takes pleasure out of watching grown men fight.

Sure, by being the announcer guy there’s little risk that you’ll get punched in the face, but you still end up looking like the biggest jacka** up there.

4. Troll Doll says:

Really, RayRay? Biggest [email protected] out there? I submit Steve Blow’s weekend column for your review.

5. Davie Dave says:

Would it be possible to have stand-ins for this fight? I recommend a hot blonde chick for Schutze and a hot brunette chick for DMN…. cat fights are soooo much more interesting.

6. Jan says:

When newspapers go away, you no longer will be getting anything near resembling that penetrating, hard hitting investigative reporting on critical generational public projects like the TRP that you’ve been getting from the DMN these past 10 years. No more timely DMN reporting from every perspective, crucial to making informed votes about spending billions in tax-based public funds. Be careful what you wish for, you’ve been warned. All you’ll have left is some aging hippie poking into this and that and that over there, like some poor scavenger fishing aluminum cans out of the weeds. Is that the way we want to do news in Dallas, so grubby, so negative? I think not.

7. DoubleTee says:

Jan, what newspaper have you been reading? Is that what they’re doing in Briefing? Because it’s certainly not happening in the DMN.

8. RayRay says:

@ Troll Doll: Fighting blind with one arm tied behind your back at a fight you were late in showing up to (Blow) is at least more admirable than giggling as others fight.

@ Jan: Thank you. I have been wondering this for a while. What will happen to those who spend their days criticizing the DMN if the DMN goes away?

Pet projects from these self-proclaimed “celebrity” reporters are great and can help sell copies of smaller publications like D magazine and Dallas Observer, but these publications can never cover it all.

So instead, they pick the most tantalizing stories and ask why the DMN didn’t devote a full-color six-page spread to the story.

These publications are more for entertainment and less for information. That’s why you’ll never see D magazine send someone out to the scene of a fatal shooting, for example. That’s not gonna sell copies of their publication.

Newspapers, on the other hand, have a social contract with the city to cover as much news as possible with the resources they have.

9. Troll Doll says:

So we shouldn’t criticize the DMN, because it might go away?
    Fact: If the DMN was doing its job, and wasn’t such a headscratcher 70% of the time, there’d be more praise, and less criticism.

10. Some guy says:

The DMN works for and with certain business interests in Dallas to inform the people of what they want us to know. The Sports page used to be decent, might still be but I haven’t looked at it in ages.

11. Dallasite says:

I want to see some hot news on news action, preferably via a Krav Maga tournament.

12. BJ says:

Jan’s comment and the reactions to it explain why Dallas will always get what it deserves…good and hard.

I think an aspirationally world-class city should never hold its media outlets to account. Otherwise, it might “get what it deserves.” Steve Blow deserves unqualified praise. Jim Schutze can’t be taken seriously because he’s an ex-hippie.

Throwing stones at the DMN is kind of like making fun of a Journey/Supertramp concert — watch out, Jack ! Whatcha gonna do when there is no Journey/Supertramp concert to make fun of? How ever will you survive?

14. towski says:

I want to know if Zac had to google the correct spelling of “Snuffleupagus.”

15. Troll Doll says:

Daniel, at first that statement made me scared. I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without them by my side.

But I will survive. I will survive.

16. Zac Crain says:

@towski: Oh yeah. First try was way, way off. Had, like, three too many f’s.

17. brett says:

I thought krav maga was when they threw rocks at tanks…because isn’t that what they do over there?

18. in some ways, such banter is healthy and fun. it happens in most cities. some people wish there were multiple newspapers. Me…I wish there were more prominent alt-weeklies than just DO. fortunately, we have blogs.

19. Don in Austin says:

3. Ok, something that I actually admit to missing in Dallas…Hot TV announcer babes. While Megan Henderson’s departure may hurt the average, Gina Miller is some fine looking talent.

20. NeitherParty says:

Whats wrong…..are the Austin reporterettes too Granola? The evil carbon-spitting Metroplex is here for your amusement.

21. Jay says:

@RayRay

You spin me right ‘round, baby
    Right ‘round like a broken record, baby
    Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

All I know is that to me
    You look like you’re having fun
    Close down your freakin’ Mac
    I hope you’re done, you’re done

22. RayRay says:

@ Jay:

Good one?

23. Jay says:

Are you asking or Canadian?

They “spit” plenty of carbon in Austin. But, in a show of enlightenment, they then repair to a coffeehouse of tremendously forced funkiness and discuss the Green Life amongst other pleasant anglos. It’s just like college except some of them are 45!