Dining

Dining

Comments

24 responses to “Izaguirre Seeks Pronunciation Assistance”

1. No Amnesty says:

Roll those R’s when your outside the U.S.
    Ha,ha,ha,ha!

2. Margaret says:

It is a little tiring… but I can take it or leave it.

But the Boy friend and I do get a laugh out it every morning as we try to recreate it!!

3. ei statistic says:

rrrrrrrrrrrrroll those Rs, I say.

4. Stuart says:

Nice. Dumb it down for the upscale Gringo viewers they (WFAA) purport to reach (if you are buying ads from them, this is how they justify their higher rates in spite of their recent rating troubles.)

Tell the station brass no way Jose, and keep on rollin’ those “R’s” Cynthia, it is who you are.

5. Troll Doll says:

I just wonder why it takes so much visible mouth gymnastics to say it.

6. Linds says:

Why doesn’t Belo pronounce the names of other nationalities correctly in their native dialects? Why just Spanish? Would they end up sounding like a bunch of Inspector Clouseaus if they did?

7. DGirl says:

Ditch. And please ask Glorria Gahmpohs to ditch the schtick as well.

8. Chris Chris says:

It seems schticky. Just drop it.

9. Some news watcher says:

Wow, that was about 45 seconds (all I could stand) of my life I will never get back.

10. Grammar Police says:

This is one item the GPD does not plan to enforce. There is a one-year statute of limitations on one’s ego. Izzy’s expired on New Year’s Eve.

11. Jay says:

If can’t see that this is a non-issue you are gay…I mean blind.

12. James says:

It’s okay to roll the “r’s”- but she goes a little over the top with it. It’s gotten a bit silly!

13. Mark says:

In my day-to-day doings I try to pronounce Spanish names and words as correctly as I can, but Cynthia’s prounciation of her name comes across as an affectation.

If she softened her trill a bit, or moved the pronunciation a little bit toward a single-R, it’s likely nobody would notice the pronunciation.

I can’t imagine she pronounces every double-R in the language with the same force as she does the one her name.

14. L says:

It is a bit over the top. The first time I heard her say her name aloud, I thought is was a joke.

15. DGirl says:

@L – I thought she was coughing up a hairball.

16. julie says:

I met her last March when I was working as a poll worker on Primary Voting day. She’s just as cute and bright as can be. Really nice person.

Keep the rrrrrrrolled r’s, Cyn. Just give them about half the roll that you do now.

You go Girrrrrrrl!!

17. Buck says:

What about Jane McGarrrrrrry?

18. Shawn says:

Drop the rolled ‘Rs’ and say it like your little sister- it is easier to understand and not so distracting.

19. Chris Cain says:

I can’t even understand what she is saying when she pronounces her name – its ridiculous. Take it down a notch Cynthia.

20. Snark Man says:

You’re dammed if you do and you’re dammed if you don’t. I actually sympathize with her situation, although I find it rediculous that this has become a matter of public discussion and debate.

True story — 15 years ago I worked as a sportscater in Midland/Odessa. Although I’m anglo, I was fluent in Spanish at the time and would roll my R’s on pronunciation of Hispanic names. I received complaint calls from Hispanic viewers complaining that I was mocking Hispanics.

21. AsSeenOnTV says:

Just say ‘Megan Henderson’… much easier!

22. Joe says:

Her problem is not the pronunciation of her name. She’s just a small market anchor who is in over her head. Yu can’t help but feel sorry for her.

23. David says:

It’s your name. Pronounce it however you want.

24. R West says:

I can’t believe that in 2009 you guys really give a rats ass how this woman prounounces her last name. So what if she rolls her “r’s”. She speaks Spanish. She has that ability. Just because some closed-minded-monolingual-backward-hicks can’t pronounce her last name; she is damned.

Look we could all use a Spanish 101 class. Why not? It’s a fricken last name. And the only reason it sounds “gimmicky or over done” to some of you hicks is because you DON’T KNOW SPANISH.

I took 4 years at Lake Highlands High school, and its kept me employed. I’m a white guy.

Get a fricken life people. Pendejos! Idiotas! Racistas! Viva Espanol! Grrrrrrrrrrrracias! Ole!

Cynthia keep your name the way it is. Can you live with becoming a white washed Latina just because suddenly WFAA doesn’t like it because of ratings.