A.H. Belo’s Providence Journal to Lose 100 Jobs

We knew that the DMN parent was trimming 500 jobs company-wide. But because the ProJo has a guild, they get to know early just how many cuts will hit their paper: 100 total, 18 of those in the newsroom, by March 6. That leaves 400 more coming from A.H. Belo’s paper in California, the Denton Record-Chronicle, the DMN, and corporate. (Please cue your generic, sarcastic “I thought Obama was going to fix everything” comments.)

Comments

12 responses to “A.H. Belo’s Providence Journal to Lose 100 Jobs”

1. Sarah says:

Dallas-based Nortel announced 3,200 layoffs today and you’re beating the Belo layoff drum again? C’mon guys.

2. Glenn Hunter says:

I thought Obama was going to fix everything.

3. Chris Chris says:

I tought I taw a putty tat?

4. Eric Celeste says:

Sarah: That story about Nortel you will find prominently displayed on Dallasnews.com, as well as the entire Internet. The story about the ProJo you will find in one place, which is not Dallasnews.com. Therefore, I direct readers who care about Belo media happenings, since that company speaks with the loudest bullhorn in the area. (If folks are reading this blog, I assume they are interested in such matters.) If I or someone on staff have something to add about the Nortel layoff (a personal story, a bit of insight, a good cell-phone joke), that will appear, I’m sure.

5. Ink-Stained Wreck says:

Will Big Bob Decherd be selling boxes for those he lays off to carry their stuff away? Inquiring minds, you know.

6. Okay, Eric says:

Well, seriously, the news people are basically all Democrats. What was that poll a few years ago? They had a survey of 85-89% in the news were Democrats. This is the White House’s Communication Dept. basically. I guess Hope and Change comes a little slow….just ask Obama’s brother George leaving in a hut about Hope and Change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtztrMoIUDc&feature=related

7. Eric Celeste says:

O,E: Thank you. I love being right.

8. Okay, Eric says:

(Typo) = “Living” in a hut

9. Troll Doll says:

OE – actually, polls say that while many find themselves with Democratic leanings (and the numbers weren’t near what you said- more like 60%), the editorial boards of newspapers are actually lean about 20% conservative, 35% independent, which means Democratic or liberal identifying writers are actually in the minority.

10. Dallasite says:

Hope. Change.

11. pez says:

You can’t imagine how angry Rhode Islanders are at Belo for running our historic newspaper into the ground. If the Journal publisher hadn’t died, the paper would never have been sold to these incompetents.