Yes, Clear Channel Can Time Its Layoffs So No One Notices

The radio business has been abuzz of late over Clear Channel’s stated intention to shed $400 million or so from its budget. That process started in earnest today with a round of layoffs. In fact, it was timed to begin exactly as inauguration festivities were kicking off. Not sure how it’s shaking out at the stations the company owns locally, other than what I’ve gleaned from a few Facebook status updates. Anyone out there who wants to fill us in, here’s your chance.

UPDATE: A commenter pointed us here, where it says Lisa Thomas (music director/midday jock) and morning show host Tony Zazza are out at Mix 102.9. More TK, unfortunately.

Comments

11 responses to “Yes, Clear Channel Can Time Its Layoffs So No One Notices”

1. brett says:

radioandrecords.com has a list of national names, including some locally.
    Listed in the story:
    Tony Zaza
    Lisa Thomas
    both worked at 102.9.

You stay classy, Clear Channel.

2. publicnewssense says:

Radio has always been a despicable revolving door, kicking talent around like ugly stuff stuck on a shoe. But these days these executives are really rotten people, unloading staffers who believed in them when they said, “We’re going to grow this company and we’re depending on you to help.”
    This isn’t a market thing, it’s a moral thing.

3. Youngblood says:

Who Cares! I suggest Sirius – Left Of Center.

4. j.d.w... says:

I suggest getting a 120Gb iPod and 250Gb+ external HD and ripping every album known to man. Or at least your CD collection. Then, put it on shuffle and it’s like having your own little station.

5. DM says:

@j.d.w… CBS calls that Jack FM

6. publicnewssense says:

Frankly, “just music” isn’t good enough. A listener should have the feeling that there’s a human at the radio station. I’ve got an iPod Classic and I watch movies on it and I listen to music on it, but the music always takes me back to the time I first heard the song, (except for Annie Lennox) probably in the middle of the night on WlS-AM 890 in the 1960s when the British Invasion was underway.
    OK, I’ve outlived my time, haven’t I, you whippersnapper.

7. Neal says:

Of course I am sympathetic to the Clear Channel employees, but I just don’t see the need for FM DJs anymore. Sure, it’s nice to get weather and traffic updates in the morning, but why should FM stations hire human beings to provide that information when I can get it from AM on the “5s”, “8s” or “10s” – or better yet, from the continuously updated DFW traffic channel on Sirius/XM?

8. Chanel says:

I guess you guys just don’t see the point. The point is ppl are losing their jobs dj’s or otherwise. Its sad. And with all the layoffs in every company its going to be hard for them to find a job. Why don’t they let go of some of those head hanchos who don’t do shit to keep listeners. Geez.

9. brett says:

who said radio stations need listeners?? Do you know something we don’t??

Seriously though, I worked for CC for 5 years and enjoyed my time there. Although we weren’t going through this at the time. Got out when I saw how the company was run and the fact that I can work far fewer hours for far greater pay and far less fear of losing my job.

I feel for former co-workers, many who spent their entire life, moving from city to city just to land their dream job, only to have it taken away from them by greedy CEOs who haven’t the first clue on how to run a radio station.

10. D says:

It’s not that they want to move to a format without on-air hosts, they just don’t need a host in every city for every timeslot. Clear Channel has been consolidating for years now. Every market that Clear Channel is in (which is almost all of them) has a KISS station, a Mix station, etc. With everything being digital, the jock at Mix in LA can view the playlist in Dallas and record a voice over for the predetermined slot where the host is supposed to introduce a song, plug a promo, or whatever. To make things sound more “local,” the LA jock can go to weather.com and spit off something about what the day’s high is going to be or make a reference to traffic on a local road. All in all, it takes an experienced person about 15-20 minutes to record an entire afternoon drive program.

In smaller markets you’ll be lucky to even find someone live in studio after the morning show wraps up. The music, commercials, and on air talent is automated and it runs like a fancy iTunes playlist.

I’m not defending the practice, but from a business perspective this makes sense. And it’s been going on since well before these layoffs were announced.

I appreciate the irony, though. For years people have been moaning about how there are too many commercials on the radio, how the DJ’s talk too much and how people just want to hear the music. Now all of a sudden everyone is nostalgic and wants their midday host back.