Richardson Neighborhoods Need Parking Lots

I missed this item yesterday, but a co-working Richardsonian just sent it along: The City Council passed an ordinance 5-2 to limit parking on residential streets. Only people who live in or are visiting a home may park on the street between 2 and 8 a.m. From Ian McCann’ article:

Mayor Steve Mitchell said the ordinance should solve many of the problems that council members hear about, primarily that neighbors’ cars make it impossible for residents and their guests to find on-street parking.

There’s some tasty irony there: “My guests can’t find parking on the street because my neighbor’s guests have parked on the street.” Also, how many people are visiting Richardson?

Comments

35 responses to “Richardson Neighborhoods Need Parking Lots”

1. Jim says:

How do you know who is a guest? Unenforceable anyone?

2. Steve says:

Does Richardson’s abnormally high Asian population have anything to do with this? I don’t live in Richardson, but the Asian family in my neighborhood has at least 4 generations living in one house and constantly has 4-5 cars parked on the street. IJS.

3. Whisky Tango Foxtrot? says:

From 2 to 8 a.m.? So, if I go to a movie at a theater behind your house at 5 p.m., and you come home from work at 6 and have nowhere to park, you’re SOL? I can even stay parked there and go to dinner and then to a bar for drinks, so long as I leave by 2 a.m? Worst. Ordinance. Ever.

4. My god, another city brings in Resident Parking Only for its streets and people go nuts???

If RPO spreads like smoking bans, we might see some sensible behavior in the neighborhoods all over the area.

BTW – If the Richardson RPO is anything like Dallas RPO, each resident will be able to buy hangtags for themselves and their guests, plus party permits for large events.

Dallas RPO information here (and Lower Greenville RPO maps)

5. Barbara says:

According to the Channel 8 story, the ordinance will be enforced only if the homeowner complains. No parking permits or guest passes will be issued.

6. louis says:

The same people go to Richardson to see their friends as those people who have friends in Plano, Southlake, Grapevine, Frisco, Coppell, Keller … need I go on?

And yes, this is a problem in certain high-end areas, like Plano or Southlake, when a party is going on…

7. Matt says:

I think the key here is that it restricts parking in front of a given house to residents and guests of that house. That is, there’s nothing ironic about “I/my guests can’t find anywhere to park, because the neighbors parked all night all down the street, including in front of my house.”

8. Obvious Man says:

At one time Richardson was one of the largest cities in America to have more phones than residents.

My work is done here.

9. amandacobra says:

I think you all know the answer to this. No more visiting friends, attending parties or stopping by to say hello. Just forget about it. You have a home, park in front of it and stay there. No more music or dancing or the drinking of the devil’s brew. Hurrah! Finally, some decorum and decency.

10. Steve says:

I guarantee you this isn’t a problem from people visiting their friends or attending parties. It’s people who have 20 people living in one house and thus ruin the street parking for the entire block. However, I don’t think anyone will have the balls to call out that problem because such overcrowded residences usually fall within specific racial demographics.

11. mediawonk says:

I have no problem with this. It helps keep certain homeowners/tenants from bringing 4, 5 or more vehicles to their dwelling and filling up the street with them.

12. John M says:

I’m a bit confused at how the resident only parking is enforceable. Streets are city property, shouldn’t anyone paying taxes for the streets have just as much entitlement as anyone else to park there?

13. Gwyon says:

Steve, why are you so eager to make sure everyone knows that you blame this on Asians?

14. DFK says:

Hurrah, I say. I’d be all for this in my neighborhood. I have three families near me with five and six cars each, and the woman next door ro me runs some sort of business out of her home, and thinks the street is her commercial parking lot. No one can ever visit my house. Friends, relatives, plumbers, UPS, etc.–all have to park half a block away or more. I should be allowed a reasonable space for “visitor parking” in front of the home I pay taxes on, as much as everyone else.

15. Whisky Tango Foxtrot says:

@ DFK..

This ordinance wouldn’t help you out, because it’s not enforcebale until 2AM. Therefore, your neighbor could continue to use the street as a “commercial parking lot,” so long as her clients stopped coming by before 2 in the friggin’ morning.

If they didn’t, then you could have them towed. (Although, if you’re neighbor has clients past 2 AM, you’ve got bigger problems.)

16. CJ says:

I think most of you are missing something important. The ban is only between 2 and 8AM. That’s overnight, folks. If you have a party, just end it by 2AM.

17. J says:

See how easy it is for you “Americans” to give up your liberty!!?

“Just end your party by 2am” that means that the government is telling you how to live your lifves,,, yet again A-M-E-R-I-C-A

So when someone complains and its a church group that is having a sleepover ( insert priests jokes now I guess) or something that is deemed “morally” acceptable ,,then what

18. CityChick says:

Richardson is landlocked and is an older community. The houses for the most part are small and garages/driveways are single car.

If a married couple is in a home, one car is in the drive and one in the street in most instances even though two cars can fit in the driveway – it’s just more convenient to put one in the drive and one on the street. If there are teens or a multiple roommate situation, more cars. A street with just residents who have to park on the street can get crowded very quickly in some neighborhoods.

Richardson’s business areas have plenty of parking so the commerce aspect isn’t the issue. Neither is race. It’s just a matter of crowded streets because Richardson’s building boom came post-war when most people had one car.

Richardson is a fine community to live in. The residents care about quality of life issues. This ordinance is really directed more toward people who leave junkers on the street, park RVs for 48 hours then move them 5 inches to skirt the law, or are too lazy to put two cars in their driveways if it means someone might have to move one later (The horror!). It’s really no big deal to most residents who actually care about the area where they live.

19. Stuart says:

As a Richardson resident, I have to say, Steve is on the right track. The issue is primarily in the areas with a high asian and or hispanic population since multiple families live in one home and their cars would be the the cars that are parked between 2am and 8am.

And DFK I feel your pain. I once lived next to a cat that owned a meat market that obviously specialized in cabrito, or so said his large truck, that he parked in front of my house, daily (he never gave me any free cabrito either. probably because I’m a gringo.)

20. ernest t bass says:

There is a solution that is growing in popularity, at least in East Dallas.

Enlarge the driveway to cover the front yard and park the work trucks closer to the house in an attempt to reduce vandalism.

Neighbors don’t especially care for this solution as the noise made while the crews gather, warm-up and load their diesel pickups at 6 a.m. tends to degrade their quality of life. There’s much more angst-inspiring behavior but hopefully the point is made.

21. Steve says:

@ Gwyon

Because it’s what’s at the core of this problem. Focus on the problem of obscenely high occupancy in single family homes and you’ve isolated a large portion of this parking problem. Trying to blame people having dinner parties and occasional visitors aren’t a consistent factor on this problem.

This trend of high numbers of people living in one house is obviously much higher in the Asian and Hispanic communities. Which is why I’m saying nothing will be done about it because people like you will immediately call anyone who suggests a solution a racist.

If you could put political correctness aside for a minute, we could probably get a few things accomplished.

22. Brian Barnaud says:

I just laugh and laugh and laugh…
    now time to feed the meter.

23. Gwyon says:

@Steve: I won’t call you a racist. I’m just lurking. I suspected the fact that you posted the same thing twice meant you were baiting people in the hopes of drawing a negative response so you could in turn accuse them of being overly PC.

24. Steve says:

@ Gwyon

Duely noted. And I didn’t mean to snap. I do respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback.

25. Brent D. says:

@Dmagazine. My condolences for the trolls finally finding your once awesome blogs.

26. Steve says:

Time to change my handle.

27. Steve says:

Point taken. I’m out.

28. Craig says:

I’m just glad I moved out of Richardson in 2004.

29. mediawonk says:

Craig-

As an above poster said, Richardson is still a great place to live. Richardson Heights has retained a great neighborhood feel and quality of life for decades now, crime remains low and the neighborhood is still comparatively affordable for what you get (especially given that it’s closer to downtown than most suburbs, and has a DART rail line right through town).

30. J Paul says:

Asians and Hispanics tend to take care of their family members better than some groups, am I correct? For instance, I bet you can find more elderly people in the Asian/Hispanic population living with their families. It’s supposed to be a family value and responsibility for “family taking care of family” instead of leaving that up to the various governments. No?

I’m not in those groups and the last thing I want is for one or both of my elderly parents living with me and I damn sure don’t want any siblings and their offspring under foot. Not much of a family value, but it’s a damn good parking space policy.

31. j.d.w... says:

I would just like to say that I am glad I now have recourse should you decide to leave your hoopty in front of my house for the weekend. Petty? Maybe. But that’s life on Newberry Drive…

32. News Junkie says:

As a Richardson resident, I feel my neighbor’s pain. I have some of those folks who tons of cars and residents living next door. Is it a commune? A youth hostel? Can I ever have a party in good conscience and have parking for my guests?
    Although labeled an “older” community ( pun on orginial homeowners not intended) there are a lot of seniors living there. Wanna know why? Because Richardson is a great little place to live! Those houses were built to last, the library and city services are great and is still close to Dallas. I chuckle as I commute every day as I think of my colleagues who live in Frisco.

33. Long Memory says:

I live in Richardson, but I suspect that this ordinance will only help members of the City Council. If I call the cops on cars parked on our street, aren’t the cops going to ask me what makes me think those cars aren’t being driven by visitors to the neighborhood? But if a council person calls, I predict a ticket will be written and they’ll sort it all out later.

It’s a shame, because I’ve never lived in a place where police and fire are any better than in Richardson.

34. kYle says:

So now people will park their vehicles on their lawns. Is that my property value I see circling the drain?