Leading Off (12/01/08)

1. Retail sales went up on Black Friday then flattened out over the weekend, as shoppers realized no one has any money. At the Walmart in Port Isabel — where a sign over an aisle in the toy department points out where one can locate the “COLORIN BOOKS” — there was no discernible change.

2. If you’re still looking to cross a few items off your Christmas/Channukah/Kwanzaa shopping list, and hoping to do it on the cheap, you can always head to CityStore. That’s where you can — I’m sorry, I just saw that ex-Mav Devin Harris had a career-high 47 points last night, and I’m having trouble focusing, what with all the blood leaking out of my eyes, ears, and nose and everything.

3. Remember the guys who allegedly forced a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old to smoke a joint? One of them, Vanswan Polty, begins his trial on Tuesday. Not helping his case: the entire thing was filmed. Since testing revealed the kids had marijuana and cocaine in their systems, I hope Polty enjoys hell, or the closest equivalent the good people of Tarrant County can find for him.

Comments

16 responses to “Leading Off (12/01/08)”

1. Ricky says:

I guess it is easier to play without looking over your shoulder to the bench the whole game…

2. Devin’s in a system which best fits his style. Not only did he score 47, he grabbed 8 boards and dropped 7 dimes. On Saturday he dropped 34-4-6-3 on Deron Williams. Nice.

Devin would’ve been terrible this year in Big D under whatever system Rick Carlisle claims to be running.

3. brett says:

Hopefully this “hey, look what Devin did” syndrome most FWMFFL (fair weather mavs fans for life) have will die off. Look at Dirk’s stats and it will tell you we made a good move. Devin is a great young PG, but he’s not going to lead us to where we want to go. I’d take JKidd’s experience over 47 points on a bad team anyday.

The Mavs are better than their .500 record and everyone knows it. They’ll win at least 50 games and get a 4-5-6 seed in the West…or maybe I’m still delusional from my turkey coma….

4. Zac Crain says:

@brett: I don’t disagree necessarily. I like Kidd, I think he helps Dirk, and I think they’ll still end up with 50 wins.

All I’ll add is, with Devin as PG, they were doing pretty OK as well (half game out of first in the West before he was injured, then traded), and that was a shackled Devin. Who is still pretty young. IJS.

5. @brett: Is our goal to be a 4-5-6 seed or is it to win a title? Nobody’s fair weather here, but I’m also not blind. We are just treading water, and what MFFL would be happy with that?

6. amandacobra says:

Yeah but what about JJ Barea? 10 points and 8 assists against the Lakers! Alright,I will admit it. I root for Barea hard.

7. Ricky says:

Plus Devin is a much better defensive player at this point. He was a close as we had to a lock down player. As well as being 25 years old. The Mavs were really playing well about this time last year and then he got hurt. Which may have been the real reason for the trade. Devin is injury prone and we have not had a reliable back up point guard since we traded Van Exel.

8. NC says:

I miss Van Exel.

9. Zac Crain says:

“Ol’ G, big homie, the one and only,
    Stick bony, but the pocket is fat like Tony, Soprano, (oh no)
    The ROC handle like Van Axel,
    I shake phonies man, you can’t get next to”

10. Mike Simmons says:

“you can’t get next to…
    The genuine article I go, I do not sing though
    I sling though, if anything I bling, yo’
    A star like Ringo, roar like gringo”

11. John says:

Who cares about a 4-5-6 seed when u can’t beat the 1, 2 or 3 seed in a playoff series.

12. SB says:

“Crazy bring ya whole set,
    Jay Z in the range, crazy and deranged,
    They can’t figure them out they like hey is he insane, (oh no”

13. John says:

“oh no, no post low, no center here, it’s just DAMPier. Since we lost to the Heat, there’s no cred on the street, the Mavs beat is all slow-mo.”

14. Holly says:

What? No reports or pictures of three cast members of Gossip Girl being stranded at DFW airport this weekend. Pictures of Chuck Bass, pweeze.

15. JS says:

John Wiley Price believes that it should be called White Friday.

16. green card says:

Why this web site do not have other languages support?