The Palins Do A Star Turn In Dallas

After watching Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin tangle with Sen. Joe Biden on TV last night, one Dallas gay guy–an Obama supporter, yet–said, “She was so cute and great, she almost made me want to go straight.” A similar euphoria–minus the gay part–was evident this morning at Dallas’ Fairmont Hotel, where more than 100 Hispanic leaders gathered for a private fund-raising breakfast to meet the Republican VP candidate. They waved signs saying things like “Good Job Sarah You Kicked Butt” and “Yes … We McCain.” They listened to red-meat talks like one by Gov. Rick Perry, who promised that Palin and GOP presidential hopeful John McCain would take on Congress and “not only say no, but hell no, to their ear tags and their earmarks!” When Palin (shown here) and her husband Todd finally swept into the room to shake hands and pose for photos, you might have thought they were Jennifer Lopez and Julio Iglesias for all the excitement.

The room at the Fairmont was thick with Republican Party bigwigs.

There was Robert Mosbacher Sr., the Houston oilman and former commerce secretary–and Dick Van Dyke lookalike–who’s now general chairman of the McCain campaign. There was Juan Hernandez, a goateed open-borders advocate who serves as McCain’s Hispanic outreach director. R. Ted Cruz–the former solicitor general for the state of Texas and a rising GOP star–delivered a powerful pitch for McCain-Palin, as did other Hispanic leaders.

Their main arguments, in a nutshell: Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama habitually “overpolls,” so the race is far from lost. Since Hispanic voters play key roles in battleground states like New Mexico, Colorado and Florida, an aggressive effort will be needed to persuade them to the GOP–currently a “damaged brand” among Latinos. Contended Mosbacher, in a typical plea: “It’s not the African-American community that stands up for Hispanics. It’s people like John McCain and, to a certain extent, me.”

When all was said and done, though, the well-heeled throng didn’t need much convincing. Especially once the Palins finally appeared through a side door, announced grandly by a handler. The crowd including Nina Vaca, CEO of Dallas’ Pinnacle Technical Resources, and CiCi Rojas, CEO of the Greater Dallas Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, rushed forward and swarmed the rope line, shouting out greetings to the star couple as flashbulbs blazed.

For this group–at that moment–Sarah Palin had already won the election.

Comments

19 responses to “The Palins Do A Star Turn In Dallas”

1. Dave says:

Did anyone see her speech last night? Here’s a look at her flow-chart: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2909496470_d751e8a3dc.jpg?v=0

Lipstick on a Bush.

3. mm says:

Wow, nice job, Mosbacher. Nothing like a little race-baiting to start your day.

4. MIssing Dots says:

Why would you compare J-Lo and Julio, shouldn’t it be J-Lo and Marc Anthony? The Palin’s are married to each other and I have to read it on the tabloids that Julio and J-Lo have anything going.

5. J.B. C. says:

I walked home from work to lunch downtown and took some snaps both with my digital cam and my iphone which I will post tonight of both the supporters and the protestors.

If anyone cares to know I believed the McCain supporters had a 2 to 1 ratio over protestors.

The only real argument I heard occurred between a man from Code Pink and a 15 year old girl. The man chastised her for holding a McCain sign and told her that “he wanted to take away her rights to an abortion.” she promptly said “They want to leave it up to the states… not a federal judge. We need more state power” Then she said something about not agreeing with abortion.

She was booed by some of the crowd who then told her “this wasn’t Hockey Mom country this is {censored}ing Football mom country.”

Then someone screamed “You can’t be a mom if you kill your kids”.

I wish I had my video camera as I am sure it would of been awesome for youtube.

6. Hot For Sarah Palin says:

Republican women are so hot!

They wear dresses. Not pantsuits.

Nuff’ said.

7. DGirl says:

I attended the luncheon today . . . that crowd was fired up! It had a very fun, celebratory feel to it. Loved it.

8. Mike says:

Um, the Bradley Effect has been over for awhile. But keep it up, prominent Dallas business leaders. The Democrats are still a bunch of effing hippies, whereas the Republicans are rational stewards of our nation.

Keep spouting the nonsense.

9. Glenn Hunter says:

Missing Dots: Marc is to Julio as Don Knotts is to Brad Pitt.

10. Rawlins Gilliland says:

Sarah may turn heads, but Daniel can turn a phrase.

11. Don in Austin says:

Entertainment would be listening to SP attempt Spanish. Hola you betcha.

12. Glenn's Long Suffering Wife says:

Glenn, let’s rethink that comparison. Julio is rather yesterday. Try at least Antonio Banderas or Javier Bardem.

Missing Dots: I asked the same question and didn’t agree with Glenn’s answer.

13. tank says:

Barrack Hussein Obama
    Barrack Hussein Obama
    Barrack Hussein Obama
    Barrack Hussein Obama
    Barrack Hussein Obama
    Barrack Hussein Obama

Your new President, America! I love it!!

Tank, I hear he’s a Muslin.

15. They’d better hope Obama’s “overpolling” because’s crushing in almost every swing state. They just pulled out of Michigan and may pull out of PA. GLWT

16. HSH says:

My Sarah favorite from last night was “this is a crisis on Main Street that is affecting Wall Street.”

Sometimes its jut toooo hard to keep those talking points straight.

I’m sure Sarah gave a big shout out to all those 175,000 laid off workers today.

17. Those “Hispanics” – standins for Franco Spain’s apologists – were aptly named by Nixcon. No, that’s not a typo. Besides being a crook, Nixon was the consumate con man. He may have conned the wanabe Hispanoids, but we Chicanos know better.

18. Robb says:

The real election takes place in 2012 when we replace the crappy person that will be elected in November.

19. For the record says:

@Robb; I’ll meet you in the establishment of your choice (assuming we have several left from which to choose) in 2012 to buy you a round.