My Interview With John McCain

Once upon a time, I did a morning radio show with a woman named Yvonne Monet. In 2000, we interviewed a guy named John McCain. He’d just failed to win his party’s nomination for president, thanks to some dirty tricks by Bush’s operatives (remember McCain’s black baby?). And he’d just published the paperback version of his autobiography, Faith of My Fathers. It was during a promotional tour for the book that he came to suffer my questions.

My thoughts on hearing this audio for the first time in eight years? I agree with Zac. I sound young. Since that interview, I’ve been soaking my vocal cords in Knob Creek. It has helped. Though, in a related note, I have no recollection of having done the interview. Yvonne had to remind me that we’d interviewed McCain. And a tip o’ the hat to her for digging up the audio file.

[audio:http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mccain-interview.mp3]

Comments

14 responses to “My Interview With John McCain”

1. Anne Y.F. says:

Somehow I expected Yvonne Monet to look a lot more like Abby Goldstein.

2. Michael says:

Somehow I expected Anne to look like Angelina Jolie.

Hands off Abby.

3. John M says:

I always thought you were supposed to snort BC Powder.

I totally kind of sort of remember the whole Tim and Yvonne thing, I used to listen to that on occasion. Can you confirm or deny Yvonne is a lesbian because “that show with that guy who did horrible interviews and the lesbian obsessed with her cats” is all I really remember of it after reading that article even though I did enjoy the show on occasion.

4. Corsair says:

I remember Yvonne from many a 99x party in Atlanta. Love the way she spins!

5. Tim Rogers says:

@ John M: Ask her yourself. I believe you’ll find her e-mail address if you follow that link.

6. the cynic says:

I would vote for THAT John McCain. Contrast his frank, open demeanor when he has nothing to lose with the party dullard we see today.

7. I remember one of the epic arguments I had with Paul Kix that didn’t end in us shouting and him threatening to dangle me off the balcony at D ended with him saying he’d probably vote McCain. That was McCain 1.0. Wonder of he’s backing McCain 2.0?

8. Brandon says:

When did you and Yvonne get back on speaking terms?

9. Tim Rogers says:

@ Brandon: Within a year of my forced retirement from the radio station, I’d say we were well past whatever hard feelings there were from the end of our collaboration together. She eventually moved back to Atlanta. We stay in touch. She visited some buddies in Dallas about two weeks ago, and we had lunch at Lucky’s (along with Squeaky and Michelle 3000, for those who remember those names).

10. Brandon says:

I am glad to hear that, although I always thought she was wacko. Nevertheless, I always enjoyed The Bone in the mornings when I was in high school, feeling a little wiser than my friends who were probably still listening to Kidd Kraddick.

11. Anne Y. F. says:

Michael, I did not intend my remark meanly. Abby Goldstein is MARVELOUS.

Back in the day of Tim and Yvonne, there was quite a bit of speculation that ‘Yvonne’ was actually Abby Goldstein. As I recall (and this was 13+ years ago, so my memory may be faulty), KERA 90.1 was going through some financial discomfort then and it coincided neatly with the appearance of Yvonne on morning drive time.

I miss the Jimmy Johnson Hair Watch… by Mennen! IJS.

P.S. I am shorter than Angelina Jolie and by quite a lot, I’d imagine.

12. Neal says:

Does anyone remember when Yvonne was a contestant on The Weakest Link and then was spoofed on SNL? Or was I the only one who actually listened to the Tim & Yvonne show every day?

13. SB says:

Tim Bergman and Yvonne Goldstein. Jesus Christ, that’s priceless. I can’t stop laughing…

Well done, sir.

14. Yvonne says:

Tim didn’t mention that I found the McCain audio on a compilation that also featured an interview we did with Rosebud The Pimp. And Neal, the video of Weakest Link/SNL is still on heavy rotation at the Fortress.