Leading Off (10/14/08)

1. Nice story by D-Lev in the paper today about some questionable city expenditures, including a $70,000 flat-screen TV and 1,000 candy dispensers that look like Dallas recycling bins.

2. A judge should rule today whether the trial against the Holy Land Foundation, accused by the government of supporting Hamas (deemed by the United States an illegal terrorist organization), will continue. Gosh I hope so. I think Holy Land trials have only been going on since I moved here two decades ago. Seems like we ought to give it time to play out, you know?

3. Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck is trying to end beer sales at Six Flags, a move with which others on the Arlington City Council disagree. Thank goodness someone disagrees with this. Have you been to Six Flags with a bunch of sugar-jacked kids? Without beer, how do you get through the day?

Comments

17 responses to “Leading Off (10/14/08)”

1. Matt says:

Have you been to Six Flags at all? They don’t serve beer; they’re trying to start. Cluck is trying to stop them from starting, not end an ongoing practice.

They need beer if only so everyone doesn’t notice how dated that place is. Not that, these days, anyone will be able to afford overpriced beer after paying admission anyway.

2. one of the amandas says:

Proofread much? Ever? Where’s Bethany when we need her…

3. Insider says:

Definitely needs a copy editor. What’s a ciy? Who is Robet?

4. Spamboy says:

3 = Exactly what we need: alcohol combined with fast amusement rides. If the alcohol ban is lifted there, watch out for raining chum when you visit!

5. JS says:

Robet Cluck — sounds French. We don’t need no stinkin’ Frenchies tellin’ us Texans how, when, or where to drink our beer.

6. Not Me says:

Does D Mag even care about facts?

7. Oh please. Let’s not pile on. 1) Eric does this at an ungodly morning hour and 2) it’s clear he’s been eating carbs. Lighten up.

One thing I noticed in the DMN’s story about the beer sales at Six Flags raised a serious question in my mind.

This is an ungodly hour. I need a job where I can sleep until 9, then show up at work around 10, and then leave sometime around 4.

Eric, don’t let the bastids get you down. Just tell’em your a Descriptivist rather than a Prescriptivist. I’ve found that in many situations – e.g., at a bar, in a crowded train, on a first date, in bracelets on the ride to the clink — this gem shuts’em up like clams. Try it and see.

you’re Aw, dammit, I’m tryiong to be a good Descriptivist, but it’s hard. Hello?

11. Eric Celeste says:

I stand by my reporting.

12. MIssing Dots says:

Reporting? I thought FB was a conversation between the editors of DMagazine? (c)

13. why says:

The hour of the day when a supposedly journalistic blog item is written doesn’t determine how accurate it should be. No excuses, D Magazine. Get it right. When you make a mistake, apologize and correct it, like real, grown-up, professional journalists. Accuracy is no joke.

14. JG says:

It seems that many of the beer sales at six flags opponents have never had a beer. I base this on the fact that the “beer + amusement park ride = vomit” argument keeps coming up. Over on DMN, the commenters warn of fountains of vomit all over the park if demon beer is allowed.

In fact, vomiting is generally not part of the beer drinking experience for normal healthy adults.

The State Fair, Busch Gardens, Disney, other Six Flags parks, etc… there are many examples of theme parks allowing beer, wine or liquor sales without problems.

15. Dorothy says:

So, how about those Cowboys?

16. Spamboy says:

@JG Don’t forget to append to your second sentence “when not being subject to high speeds, multiple Gs, and sharp turns.”

Maybe I’m a pussy, but when I have a bunch of crap in my stomach — beer, Coke, funnel cakes, gum I swallowed in the 2nd grade, etc. — the last thing I need to do is fly upside down multiple times.