Early Voting on Pace to Set a First-Day Record

Not long before this was posted, more than 13,000 votes had been cast in Dallas County. The first-day record happened back in 2004, when 20,566 ballots were filled out. If that record is topped, I hear there is going to be a pretty sweet pizza party downtown*.

*possibly erroneous, since my source for this is the unicorn that lives under my desk.

Dining

Dining

Comments

16 responses to “Early Voting on Pace to Set a First-Day Record”

1. armanda says:

is the unicorn’s name, by any chance, Simon?

2. Rawlins Gilliland says:

I voted this morning. The first time I have ever voted ‘early’. (Since I will be surfing in Obama’s birth state on election day so eat your heart out.)

The line was HUGE.

Mind you, today was the FIRST day of early voting. And yet there were more people voting there at that Southeast Dallas Rec, Center than I have ever seen on an actual presidential election day. It really put a lump in my throat because win, lose, or draw….how can people being this engaged in this election be anything but affirming?

3. amandacobra says:

I walked down to the Records Building downtown to early vote on my lunch break but quickly realized that every other downtown office worker had the same idea. Good for democracy but bad for me. Will try again tomorrow.

4. H.H.A.S. says:

I walked to the Records Building a little after 10 a.m. and got to vote right away. I asked the lady checking my ID if she’d been busy this morning and she replied, “so busy I haven’t been able to get up and pee.” I also saw my office UPS man voting there and he said hi to me. Glad we’re not just “office friends.” He totally rocks the short brown shorts.

5. Steve says:

Surf’s up in Kenya?

6. jrp says:

now will someone please tell me again if a no vote means they WILL send Jenny to the wildlife preserve in Tennessee or is it a yes vote means they WON’T be building a hotel in the trinity river flood plain

7. travis says:

i voted at the records building around 3pm. short line.

there was something special about waiting in line to vote for obama and looking to my left and seeing the plaque the county placed over the old “whites only” water fountain. they left the holes in the wall from where the sign had been. as my body was covered with chills, i had a bit of hope for the future.

8. Rawlins Gilliland says:

(Clapping crowd cheering Travis)

9. Puddin'Tane says:

I don’t get it. Obama’s mother is WHITE so how exactly does that make him fully Black?

This is tired.

10. Long Memory says:

Hey, Puddin’, back in the day it only took a single drop of blood to make you Black.

11. Puddin'Tane says:

But we’re not “back in the day.”

And although there were claims that the Race Card wouldn’t be used during this campaign, it’s been an issue the entire time… and by Obama’s own supporters!

It doesn’t work anymore.

12. Long Memory says:

I don’t think most folks would buy the argument that, because he has a white mother, he’s not really black. I could be wrong, though.

13. travis says:

my comment had nothing to do with who to vote for. even if i wasn’t voting for obama, i would have had the same feelings. i think it’s an amazing thing to think about how far we’ve come that i even had the opportunity to consider an african american as a candidate.

and in response to your “portion of blackness” (read ridiculous) arguement, all you need to know is that in ’56 obama would have been arrested for drinking from that water fountain. they wouldn’t have let him go when he showed him a picture of his mother.

14. Puddin'Tane says:

Is Obama an African American? Was he truly born in Africa as some people are claiming and not in Hawaii? Otherwise, if he were born in the US then he would be and American.

Obama is a mixed race American running for President in 2008 and this isn’t ’56 so why do you kept bringing it up?

I’m saying that it’s Obama’s own supporters that keep bringing his “blackness” up. The whole thing doesn’t work.

15. travis says:

you’re just missing the point entirely. just take a minute to be happy for humanity and the little bit of progress we’ve made and leave it at that. put your politics aside and realize the historical significance. that’s all.

16. harvey says:

P T, I have some relatives via a wedding license that are voting republican for the first time in their lives because the democratic candidate is black.

Now I know their residency in Louisiana and Oklahoma should explain their wisdom. But somehow it doesn’t because some of my friends here in norte tejas feel the very same way.

I’ll be voting early as soon as I get back to Texas. A man has to do what a man has to do.