DMN Kicked Off Obama Press Corps Plane

To make room for network reporters? Or, as Drudge would have it, because it endorsed McCain? My question is different. Why is the News spending scarce resources covering a very well-covered national campaign in the first place? Do its news editors still hold pretentions of being a national or regional newspaper? Boys, I got news for you worse than being shuffled off an airplane: those days are long gone. Every dime you don’t put into local coverage is a dime you might as well have tossed down the drain.

Comments

26 responses to “DMN Kicked Off Obama Press Corps Plane”

1. Wolverine says:

Welcome to your new Thug President.

2. amanda says:

I’m no expert on the financial aspects of publishing, but as a consumer, some of the very best and most candid glimpses of the campaigns come from local reporters. The candidates are less defensive?

Regardless, this is the third example of Obama’s scorched earth policy in the face of possible dissent. What happens if he’s elected?

3. K says:

To underscore Wick’s point, can anyone name a single story from the DMN reporters covering the campaign that was particularly enlightening? More to the point, was there ever an editorial or column written highlighting an interesting story from the presidential campaign trail that was written by the DMN reporters? If even the paper’s editorial board and columnists are unimpressed with the stories, why invest in the coverage?

4. Tom says:

To answer Wick’s questions:
    1. I don’t know, but I’ve heard they are there to cover things as they relate to North Texas.
    2. Yes, even though that isn’t the best use of the news budget in the Internet era.

5. Steveâ„¢ says:

It’s only fair.

6. SLR says:

Obama has never made any secret about being aggressively partisan. Why is this even considered news?

7. Randy says:

Nothing to excited about. That’s just Obama practicing his redistribution of reporters…

8. J.B. C. says:

I guess there are two questions to ask you Wick.

1) Do you see the correlation between those who were kicked off the plane and those who endorsed McCain?

2) Do you believe that this current act, the cutting off of other news organizations that ask tough questions, and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid’s support of the Fairness Doctrine are a pattern and signs of things to come?

3) Should he New York Post & Washington Post only cover local news?

Just looking for some insight…

9. J.B. C. says:

Also I know those are three questions…. I started writing and got carried away! haha

JBC: I think he was referring to the DMN when he talked about covering news with a local angle. A company that has just gotten done with a new round of layoffs, that is not the Washington Times or the Post, should probably batten down its hatches.

11. Renee Callahan says:

McCain has also kicked reporters off his plane this election. It’s a plane, people — a finite space. Not everyone who wants on gets on, or gets to stay on. It does not necessarily forecast how either candidate would handle the press once elected.

I agree, Renee. For instance, he didn’t kick Fox News off. If he was booting all dissenters, don’t you think that network would be the first to go?

Hmmmm…let’s see: I have a very popular campaign. My plane only holds so many. I’ve let a few “local” papers on, but now I need to pare down the list because there’s some national publications with a bigger reach that should be on there.

I don’t see anything political about this. The Times and the Post are not major national papers. Do the die-hard New Yorkers who move away still subscribe to the Post? No, it’s the Times.

The Post has a somewhat sketchy, tabloidy reputation. TDMN is a local, Dallas paper – not a huge player on the national scene anymore, thanks to the poor decisions of its managers. Do I leave these three on and kick the AP, Fox, or someone else off – especially when the three I’m kicking off are AP subscribers, and can pick up the same story they’d probably write – but off the wire?

13. Buck says:

The Dallas News had a reporter covering Obama?

Who knew?

14. allison says:

I thought they only got their stories from The Associated Press.

15. DM says:

More raccoon stories DMN!

16. Billusa99 says:

They could have ridden on Biden’s plane, or the bus.

And just to show you how *really* concerned the DMN is, nobody in the editorial blog has even cared to mention it.

“Thug preident” …that’s really rich, coming from a carrion-eating, flesh-ripping wolverine.

Since when is the Drudge Report a credible source? I could probably email him right now and say that Obama disembowels babies and boils them in chicken broth to make an unholy stew, and he’d post it as “DEVELOPING…”

Ah, the nebulous, ass-covering DEVELOPING. It’s Drudge’s stock-in-trade.

I thought that, too, Daniel. But then I looked up a couple of other places. Politico reported it, as did the Washington Times.

19. Tom says:

We have confirmation from 508 Young St.
    DMN Politics Editor Ryan Rusak posted a response to the Trail Blazers blog.

20. Don in Austin says:

If they wanted to keep their spot they should have sent Karen Brooks.

21. Callie says:

When they couldn’t get a real journalist like Bethany, no one less would do. Just imagine the insights we could have gained.

22. GuiltyBystander says:

New York Post, owned by Murdoch.
    Washington Times, owned by ???? (Moonies?)
    Dallas Morning News, owned by idiots (sorry, Tim; I realize this places me in the Schutze category but I think it’s an accurate word).

Hey, if I was Obama, I’d kick those three off in a New York minute.

Interesting comment on the DMN’s post:

“When you get booted from BOTH candidates planes, you have to wonder if your really relevant anymore.”

24. jrp says:

well, just a quick thought from this Phillies Phan that’s been watching a parade for five-plus hours…

the DMN getting booted from the press corps of both campaigns proves how little relevance Dallas, more specifically the DMN, has on the national scene

no one north of the Red River gives a damn what goes on down here, and many expect Texas to vote Red, so efforts are directed elsewhere

while it may not be true, perception can be reality, right?

so the DMN coverage/opinion is moot for a lot of people, and sad but true, in 2008 more people would rather see ‘AC Slater’ interview Barry O, than read what the DMN thinks of the election…

Rusak argues “that a paper of the DMN’s size and stature should be on-board” and that’s just it

since the over-inflated circulation scandal of a few years ago, the DMN has been losing is stature that was falsely due, in part, to the bogus “size”

not sure the DMN brass completely grasps just how bad that scandal hurt the paper…it’s just like Jackie Floyd using a 15-year-old headshot…newspapers can’t give false impressions/circ numbers and expect readers to continue to take a paper

but what do i know? enlighten me, please

25. Jenny the Elephant says:

Weird. The kicked off DMN but let Quick stay on board. Developing…