D Magazine Subscribers Get Wealthier, More Male

We just got our new Mendelsohn demographic study of our subscribers. The numbers below show the demos from 1995 2005 compared to 2008.

Average household income: was $227,400; now $344,000
Average net worth: was $1.2 million; now $1.7 million
Own their own residence: was 88.6%; now 91.5%
Average home value: was $420,000; now $540,600
Female: was 71.4%; now 65.6%

Of course, these numbers probably all changed in the last two weeks. But there you have it. We have some of the wealthiest subscribers of any magazine in the country (ed: please fact check). And to what do I attribute these numbers? Zac Crain, of course.

Comments

51 responses to “D Magazine Subscribers Get Wealthier, More Male”

1. uh oh says:

ahhh, no wonder I dont read it. I can barely afford the blog, I rent, and Im a tranny!!

2. Amanda Palin says:

George W. Bush has been good to the wealthy.
    War has been good for the wealthy.
    Dick Cheney has been good for the wealthy.
    The sad thing is that sometimes the economy trickles upward.

I feel richer and more manly already!

4. Don in Austin says:

I’m just blog vermin. Part of the great unfumigated community.

5. LakeWWWooder says:

Relatively high incomes but surprisingly low net worths. I guess the readers spend too much on the goods and services advertised in the magazine.

Co-D-pendency!

My average net worth is a dollar seventy. So any “difference” between me and the average D subscriber really comes down to a picayune matter of punctuation.

7. Uh, that survey was probably completed earlier this year. I think we’ve all retrenched somewhat from there. In fact, we’re lucky if we’re at 2004 levels.

8. Billusa99 says:

Obviously, all your glossy sex-change ads are working.

9. Don says:

Unbelievable. This is good news for D Mag I guess, but I honestly want to know what these people do for a living. Seriously. If you make 227K a year, please tell me what you do.

10. Investor says:

Does the figure for average home value come from the property tax records or real market value?

11. SLR says:

Don:

$227,400 was in 2005. The average income now is $344,000. What do we do for a living? Well, to start, we read more carefully.

12. Joe Sixpack says:

Who cares about “net worth,” when you’ve got a six-pack of beer and terrorists to hate. That’s all I need to be happy! SCORE!

13. amanda says:

Tim: do you have MORE readers?

14. Amanda Palin says:

Does D Magazine ever give back to the community? To help those less fortunate?

15. Patrick says:

Quick, someone get Amanda a tree to hug!!!

16. amanda says:

Which Amanda? This blog suffers from multiple Amanda disorder (mad)…

17. LakeWWWooder says:

About all $1.7 million will generate these days is a six-pack – Old Milwaukee.

18. Andrew says:

I may have to subscribe simply to run down their numbers. Does D ship to Montana?

19. Amanda Palin says:

Patrick
    Andrew Dice Clay called and demands you stop using his best joke.
    Does D Magazine ever give anything back to the community? To help those less fortunate?

20. another amanda says:

Dear Tree Hugging Amanda,

Yes, D does, I’ve seen it. But, they don’t seek glory and press, so I guess you’ll have to sling some other kind of mud.

What do you want D to do? Surely you have some ideas…

21. Joe Sixpack says:

Beer giveaways! And snow machines. And beer.

22. Amanda Palin says:

Distraction. Distortion. Same rhetoric. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.

23. another amanda says:

Amanda, I have personally seen Wick cure cancer, and Tim gave mouth to mouth to a bucket of drowning kittens.

Step off.

One time, Eric played strip pool to raise money for Ethiopian children. There’s a picture and everything.

And Zac ran for mayor, which is either masochistic or altruistic, I’m not sure. But there’s t-shirts to prove it.

25. another amanda says:

Bethany, I forgot about all that stuff. I heard Stacey Yervasi was washing the feet of transgender rabies victims, but she’s prolly in it for the glory. She’s so that way.

Before he went all Hollywood, Trey Garrison was spotted loading shells for blind hunters. Just the thought of it brought tears to my eyes…

Such do-gooding is rare in an entertainment city magazine.

Remember when they got the town together for that guy George Bailey, and everyone brought money for him so he wouldn’t commit suicide?

Gosh I love these guys.

27. todd c arruth says:

I think my new million dollar salary threw the numbers off.

28. MushMouth says:

And in the end all of those wealthy subscribers will be just like the rest of us… worm food.

29. Amanda Palin says:

A publication is doing very well and happy to brag about it while hundreds of thousands are loosing their jobs and homes. I ask the question, what are they doing to help those less fortunate? The reaction is freak out and distract and jokes about Ethiopian children.
    So, we know the answer really is NO. Not a thing.
    Now, continue on with your humor.
    Perhaps when this debacle hits a member of your family or household, your arrogance will fade a bit. Doubt it, but it could.

Amanda P.:

Sometimes, humor is what you use to keep from becoming too sanctimonious on a blog post, you know?

Yes – in all seriousness, D does engage in various charitable endeavors. I’ve seen evidence of it.

What do you do in that regard, besides you know, this?

And many companies issue some form of status report regarding their businesses. Often, it reassures advertisers and other customers that you are indeed a profitable concern, and that their dollar is spent wisely with you. Why does this annoy you so?

As for your last assumption, that it hasn’t happened to me, well, you’re wrong – which seems to be a recurring theme. Family of four children and a single mother who didn’t get child support. Owe $150,000 and change to a hospital because my employer neglected to inform us that he had canceled our insurance.

How’s that?

31. Amanda Palin says:

There is no law that says a blog can not be used for activism. I have never, ever seen or heard of D Magazine making any sort of contribution to help those less fortunate.
    A blog can be used to make a community a better place. I fail to see humor in your situation or that of an Ethiopian child. I see people laughing at the very thought of
    the rich helping the poor. Our country is headed for a depression. I must assume that somehow D Magazine is immune from any sort of downturn. Maybe as my Dad use to say, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer in this situation.

Maybe you just don’t want to look very hard, I don’t know. Maybe it’s easier to just throw some stuff around.

Activism is one thing. Haranguing and making blanket assumptions is another. There are plenty of people on here that use the blogosphere as a way to inform people about a particular cause. If you have one, please tell us about it.

But it is rude and ignorant (there, I said it) to assume that a post about the demographic a particular publication is reaching is anything more than that, and to use it to just scattershoot blindly.

Again, what exactly do you do to make the world a better place, besides chastise?

Here, I’ll even give you an example of something D Magazine did, as a for instance:

An explainer of Kidds Kids, from Kid Kraddick:

Each year, Kidd’s Kids offers five amazing days of suspended reality to children whose lives have been ravaged by disease. No hospital visits, no shots, no uncomfortable stares from strangers. Just five straight days of sheer joy and excitement at “the most magical place on earth,” Walt Disney World®. Kidd’s Kids children and their families are given the chance to experience the exuberance of being “normal.”

Does that qualify as helping the less fortunate?

34. another amanda says:

Dear Amanda Palin,

Instead of whining about a lack of charitable acts on the part of D Magazine, why don’t you pick up a blue polyester vest at the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift store on Northwest Highway and work a shift…

While you’re at it, why don’t you do a little googling and find out the Horatian feat the Allison’s pulled off in getting permits, zoning, and building this store. Why don’t you also look at who (namely Phyllis Cole and others, those selfish rich people) donated substantial money (7 figures +)to make it happen. And you can check out the video and pictures of about 60+ D Magazine staffers and contributors who scavenged for merchandise, stocked, and set up the store (many of of whom continue to work as voluteer at the store, and were there for its opening a year ago). You might want to check with some of the people in the community…the ones that have benefited from this store from having a job, having access to affordable household items and clothing, and the complete turn around of a formerly crime-ridden building in a blighted area of our city. On your way out, look up, and check out the beautiful commissioned tapestry, a personal gift from the Allisons in honor of St. Vincent de Paul.

And, that’s just one example of what D does…what do you do “Amanda” other than spew ill-informed tripe on a blog?

Love,

Me

35. Amanda Palin says:

Ignorant?

Really?

That wasn’t the question. The question was: What are you doing to make the world a better place?

37. another amanda says:

@ Amanda: Ignorant, yeah.

GIRL FIGHT!

And to explain further:
    Ignorant: lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact

You said, “I have never, ever seen or heard of D Magazine making any sort of contribution to help those less fortunate.”

Since there is evidence to the contrary regarding your assertion, and you yourself say that you have never seen or heard of D Magazine making a contribution, that would indeed – by the textbook definition – mean you were ignorant.

39. Amanda Palin says:

Twenty six…26 years of social work that includes food banks, teens suicide prevention, women’s rights, monthly checks to Darfur, protesting a war, and years and years of work on rights for the elderly by fighting Medicare, Medicaid, elder abuse, lack of nursing homes using proper nutrition, delivering food to the homebound,
    helping to raise funds for individuals who are not able to cover their family with insurance and are in medical needs.

It is a question Bethany. A question. Why do you find it so necessary to vent against those that dare to question this publication? Why? Why is it important to do so much name calling? What is the damage in the question? Why are you so freaking defensive?

And yes, this is a form of activism, no matter how you choose to slice or dice it.
    We can all laugh and joke at the utter arrogance of D Magazine wealth. At some point we need to come together and help each other without using words like tree hugger or ignorant.

God bless you.

The end.

40. another amanda says:

Thumberlina lives…

41. another amanda says:

Bethany,
    I know you didn’t ask, but I’m going to throw this down…

Twenty-two (22) years…of back breaking labor…battling white shoes/handbags after Labor Day or before Easter. Fighting the butt cracks of appliance repair technicians. Struggling to eliminate mousse or Jeri-curls from American culture. Beating back Jehovah’s Witness and those cute little Mormons and their mountain bikes. Ending triple coupons. Opening doors to finance cosmetic surgery and Botox©. Preserving the right to hire undocumented workers as maids or landscapers. Eating veal.

I hope this helps.

Love,

Me

I wasn’t gonna brag, you know. But you left out personally clubbing baby seals. With a 9 iron.

43. another amanda says:

I use a putter. It cuts down on gore, and the mother seals seem to respond better.

I used to use a driver, but I hit so hard I mostly just sent them flying across the iceberg. And lemme tell ya, it’s a pain in the ass to yell “fore!” then have to walk all the way over to the other side of an iceberg to find your lost clubbed baby seal.

45. another amanda says:

What gives?

Umm, is it just me or did Bethany get deleted? It’s not like she’s a blowhard or anything. But, she is wearing a vest, AND a ponytail for the second time this week, so I can see why…

46. Don says:

SLR, thanks for pointing out that I misread the post and stated 227K instead of 344K. It’s a good thing you did because without quoting the correct number, my post was completely incomprehensible. You make everyone better.

47. another amanda says:

Bethany, since you brought it up, and AP took note, I have a question for toi:

How do you think those Ethiopian children stay so slim? Is it a religous belief that limits dietary choices in a third world environment, or do you think they are just on South Beach?

Jenny Craig! And intestinal parasites for free, those lucky bastards.

49. another amanda says:

Thanks, Bethany. One can never be too careful while planning for resort season.

I don’t know how we can live with ourselves, especially when Biden’s hair plugs are so, well, failed…

Don’t you dare laugh.

Now now, on the debates, McCain was loving on the hair plugs. Said he might need some. You know, to cover up the melanoma.